Old September 13th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default elevator noise part deaux

so assuming * , *they let me do that, * and *my test *reveils *noise *
along the *wires * , *what *types *of snap on *chokes /material would *
be *recomened?

i wonder if they conduit is a 'poor' *shield * i could easily wrap that
w/rf tape

Hi.
I am coming into ths discussion kind of late, but see no mention as to
changes in the noise level as the elevator is operating or not. Is the
motor and control circuit live all the time or just when the elevator
is occupied or in motion.

As far as snap-on ferrite chokes, they must allow the largest wire to
pass and should be fairly large for the low frequency involved.

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but conduit will certainly
radiate if it is not connected to a common ground point at each end.
Otherwise, it is an antenna. No amount of tape will stop that. If
connected to two "ground" points, the conduit could still radiate as a
loop antenna. The building framework may make an electrical ground,
but not an RF ground.

Do you have a portable am shortwave radio with an external antenna?
Use it to explore (safely!) the wiring with the external antenna. I
did this at home and discovered lots of HF noise coming from a VCR,
DVD player and TV that were always on, but on standby. I think this
exercise will let you track the noise a lot easier than your expensive
ham rig.

Good luck!

Paul, KD7HB