Old September 13th 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

Default elevator noise part deaux

hi Paul

see responces below, and thanks very much

In article
,
" wrote:

so assuming * , *they let me do that, * and *my test *reveils *noise *
along the *wires * , *what *types *of snap on *chokes /material would *
be *recomened?

i wonder if they conduit is a 'poor' *shield * i could easily wrap that
w/rf tape

Hi.
I am coming into ths discussion kind of late, but see no mention as to
changes in the noise level as the elevator is operating or not. Is the
motor and control circuit live all the time or just when the elevator
is occupied or in motion.

from being inside my house i can't really tell elevator
movement, i can say the noise is constantly intermittant, that is
on a few min off a few min, it 'seems' not to correspond to
elevator movement but i'd need a second guy to prove that

However being in the elevator room, as previously mentioned w/my
ft817 i can tell you the motor and magnatek is always slightly
energized however with no elevator movement the noise is
extreemly small soo as the motor kicks in the magnatek makes a
ton of noise same test standing ontop of the motor shows little
noise i didn't test the conduit

As far as snap-on ferrite chokes, they must allow the largest wire to
pass and should be fairly large for the low frequency involved.

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but conduit will certainly
radiate if it is not connected to a common ground point at each end.
Otherwise, it is an antenna. No amount of tape will stop that. If
connected to two "ground" points, the conduit could still radiate as a
loop antenna. The building framework may make an electrical ground,
but not an RF ground.

yea that got me thinking i noticed the manual for the magnatek
actually talked about how to keep one end only 'grounded' and the
book was very good at explaning it, i have to go back up and see if
they did that i bet they sure didn't my guess is they didn't use
shielded wire to the motor sensor i'd guess iether plain wire or if
i am luckey

they have really only an electrical ground up their they did make a
single buss on the bottom and everything terminates at least to a
single point the conduit is 'grounded' by connecting with the metal
cabinet which is connected to that elec ground my building water,
heat, Ibeams and elec ground seem to all be at same potential and do
connect with earth soil, naturally the elevator room on the roof is
14stories high

i disagree with you however that 'no ammount' of tape would help if
the conduit was radiating copper or mu-metal, or lead or RFpaint
wrapped around the conduit and possibly grounded i think would have
an effect but i could be wrong my guess is it could work why do you
think it's not possible?

Do you have a portable am shortwave radio with an external antenna?
Use it to explore (safely!) the wiring with the external antenna. I
did this at home and discovered lots of HF noise coming from a VCR,
DVD player and TV that were always on, but on standby. I think this
exercise will let you track the noise a lot easier than your expensive
ham rig.

Yes the ft817 also has am but i've been testing ssb easier on
the ears and just a strong interference hihi

yeah it's funny how sometimes you find a vcr or a cable modem
that puts out so much noise on even standbuy a lot of companies these
days really are rf poluters and seem to get away with murder

I wonder if that magnetek is legal , just say the unit by itself
is it fcc approved to radiate such a strong signal so broad ??
second to that since it is interfering with a licensed ham station
per rules and regs would it be in violation? i wonder how i
confirm that ultimately i might hve to file a complaignt

Good luck!

Paul, KD7HB