Old March 8th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
NM5K[_4_] NM5K[_4_] is offline

Default Omni

On 3/8/2012 8:08 AM, Tuuk wrote:
Come on hams

You know the antenna I am talking about. I seen its specs online about
10 years ago. It is a single omni aluminum antenna with three traps in
it. About 19 or 21 foot long. Made for ground use, no ground planes or
radials, and old style. This is an older style antenna. Regular coax
hook up. I need to remember the name of this antenna so I can make sure
its lenghth and specs are correct. Gotta be an old ham out there that
remembers these old style omni antenna.
Thanks

There were many versions of trapped verticals sold in the last 30
years. Without pictures of the base or traps, hope of identification is
fairly slim.
Sounds like the typical Cushcraft or Hustler. Or at least those were
the most popular versions.
Also, ground mounted verticals will still need radials if the antenna
is to live up to it's expectations. And there is nothing to stop one
from using one elevated, if one uses resonant radials for each band to
be used.
Look at the tubing and see if it has any marks on it from it's previous
assembly. Often, the clamping will leave marks on the tubing, and one
that was used for a long time will usually show discoloration between
the tubing exposed to the air, and the part that was covered due to
the overlap.