Old July 4th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Anybody tried 4nec2 on Vista ?

Did anybody try to run 4nec2 (http://home.ict.nl/~arivoors/) on
windows Vista ?, and if so, did it work ?

If it did not run as expected, could you tell me what went wrong ?

Because 4nec2 being freeware I do not (yet) have the funds to buy me a
new computer and/or OS, so maybe I can get some small answers this
way.

Greetings,
Arie.

Old July 5th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

4nec2 wrote in news:1183571364.141664.209940
@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

Did anybody try to run 4nec2 (http://home.ict.nl/~arivoors/) on
windows Vista ?, and if so, did it work ?

If it did not run as expected, could you tell me what went wrong ?

Because 4nec2 being freeware I do not (yet) have the funds to buy me a
new computer and/or OS, so maybe I can get some small answers this
way.

Not a direct answer, but M$ can barely get Vista to run on Vista. I
shudder to think of people actually trying to develop apps in that buggy,
slow and freeze prone environment.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old July 5th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mike Coslo wrote:

Not a direct answer, but M$ can barely get Vista to run on Vista. I
shudder to think of people actually trying to develop apps in that buggy,
slow and freeze prone environment.

I can also not imagine why we again would need a new and similar OS
(besides filling the pockets of Bill and the hardware suppliers). If
there were real improvements I would say Yes, but till now, I have not
heard of such...

Old July 5th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:49:24 +0000, 4nec2 wrote:

Did anybody try to run 4nec2 (http://home.ict.nl/~arivoors/) on windows
Vista ?, and if so, did it work ?

If it did not run as expected, could you tell me what went wrong ?

Because 4nec2 being freeware I do not (yet) have the funds to buy me a
new computer and/or OS, so maybe I can get some small answers this way.

Perhaps rather than shelling out money better spent on ham rigs just to
line Bill G's pockets, why not try porting the app to one of the Free
OSes? Linux and or Free BSD are just ripe for some excellent ham radio
software (although plenty already exists). All of the tools are Free
Software and quite well supported, perhaps better supported than that
which costs you mucho deniro.

73, de Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."
Old July 5th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Nate Bargmann wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:49:24 +0000, 4nec2 wrote:

Did anybody try to run 4nec2 (http://home.ict.nl/~arivoors/) on windows
Vista ?, and if so, did it work ?

If it did not run as expected, could you tell me what went wrong ?

Because 4nec2 being freeware I do not (yet) have the funds to buy me a
new computer and/or OS, so maybe I can get some small answers this way.

Perhaps rather than shelling out money better spent on ham rigs just to
line Bill G's pockets, why not try porting the app to one of the Free
OSes? Linux and or Free BSD are just ripe for some excellent ham radio
software (although plenty already exists). All of the tools are Free
Software and quite well supported, perhaps better supported than that
which costs you mucho deniro.

73, de Nate

perhaps because a large number of people use Windows to do their day to
day work successfully, Windows warts and all? People select their OS and
computing environment based on many things: life cycle cost,
compatibility with other useful applications, philosophical bent, and
functionality are just a few of them.

Old July 5th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

perhaps because a large number of people use Windows to do their day to
day work successfully, Windows warts and all? People select their OS and
computing environment based on many things: life cycle cost,
compatibility with other useful applications, philosophical bent, and
functionality are just a few of them.

Indeed, which is why I am using Win98 with Linux and Solaris Servers.
XP Pro is nice, but while I have heard good things about Office 2007 and
Windows 2003 Server, I have yet to hear anything positive about Vista.

Chris
Old July 5th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

4nec2 wrote:
Did anybody try to run 4nec2 (http://home.ict.nl/~arivoors/) on
windows Vista ?, and if so, did it work ?

Arie,

It appears to work just fine under Vista. I can test any other aspect for you under Vista - just let me know.

This would make a great Linux app

Thanks,
-Chris

Old July 6th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I believe Arie has already commented on this in the past. It might be
worthwhile looking for what he said.

I personally use his software under wine/Linux. I remember seeing a page
on setting up wine to run 4nec2, perhaps from Arie himself. In my case
though it worked fine with just ole32 and oleaut32 overrides.

There are NEC tools avalable for native Linux if you want to try them.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Old July 8th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim Lux wrote in
:

Nate Bargmann wrote:
[...]

And lots of support staff! I wonder if their salaries are taken
into account when people get excited over those cheap PC prices?

People select their OS and
computing environment based on many things: life cycle cost,

See above.

compatibility with other useful applications,

One of the strangest canards ever foisted upon the computer buying
public. The computer should be a tool. You shouldn't buy the staff
assistant the same computer as the engineer as the art department.

philosophical bent, and
functionality are just a few of them.

Don't forget not having any choice in the matter. What else would the
computer departmenttell management is needed?

One of the dirtiest secrets of the computer world is that those who work
keeping PC's operational don't *want* good computers and operating
systems. If a computer works well, is simple to set up, and is a
reliable performer, the IT department goes away.

Which is why although I beat PC's into submission where I work in part,
to get my work done I use a Mac. It just keeps on going and going.

OSX in whatever flavor is fast, works on older Macs easily (a G3
even!) and if a person want's to geek it out, they can just drop
into Unix for CL fun...

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

DLPORTIO for Vista SMØIMJ Equipment 1 August 19th 07 07:00 PM
FS: Garmin Vista GPS - Like New - $200.00 Shipped Jason Swap 0 January 19th 04 09:38 AM
FS: Garmin Vista GPS - Like New - $200.00 Shipped Jason Swap 1 January 12th 04 11:37 PM
FS: Garmin Vista GPS - Like New - $200.00 Shipped Jason Equipment 2 January 12th 04 08:28 PM
FS: Garmin Vista GPS - Like New - $200.00 Shipped Jason Equipment 0 January 12th 04 06:44 AM