Old March 9th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Mesh curtain antenna

My latest antenna is up!
It is a window mesh curtain 8 foot by 100 foot
about 1 foot off the ground.
It is an all bander with the xmitter tuner on all the time,
later I will trim it so I can leave the internal tuner off.
At the moment the red light comes on when I am right in the center
only
of the top band and the SWR reads 1.5 for the middle section only!.
Presume the tuner cannot handle above 1.5 on top band.
Very, very quiet antenna, but it has been up less than 24 hours.
Feed is on one side only with the ground connection about 2 inches
away
on the same side with the connections at the bottom some what towards
the center of the curtain length ways.Basically it is a long one wall
Faraday shield but without a drain ground on the front side.
Will find a relay so I can make it bi directional
Old March 9th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art Unwin wrote:
My latest antenna is up!
It is a window mesh curtain 8 foot by 100 foot
about 1 foot off the ground.

Big deal.

All that is, depending on how it is fed, is either a fat dipole or a fat
long wire.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 9th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 9, 1:04*pm, Art Unwin wrote:
[...]

Very very quite antenna tells the whole story.

Jimmie

Old March 10th 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Art Unwin wrote:

Very, very quiet antenna, but it has been up less than 24 hours.
Feed is on one side only with the ground connection about 2 inches
away on the same side with the connections at the bottom some what
towards the center of the curtain length ways.

So he is center feeding a large curtain with a "_2 inch_" wide feed.

Yup, that WILL very definitely be quiet. I hope the tuner has a lot of
loss in the way before the "antenna" (chortle) to dissipate the 99.999%
of the power fed to the short at the end.

Basically it is a long one wall
Faraday shield but without a drain ground on the front side.

It's not a Faraday shield if it's not completely surrounding something.
I'd suggest a smaller one. Of tinfoil. Around your head. It won't
help, but it would be amusing.

tom
K0TAR
Old March 10th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 9, 7:58*pm, tom wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
Very, very quiet antenna, but it has been up less than 24 hours.
Feed is on one side only with the ground connection about 2 inches
away on the same side with the connections at the bottom some what
towards the center of the curtain length ways.

So he is center feeding a large curtain with a "_2 inch_" wide feed.

Yup, that WILL very definitely be quiet. *I hope the tuner has a lot of
loss in the way before the "antenna" (chortle) to dissipate the 99.999%
of the power fed to the short at the end.

Basically it is a long one wall
Faraday shield but without a drain ground on the front side.

It's not a Faraday shield if it's not completely surrounding something.
* I'd suggest a smaller one. *Of tinfoil. *Around your head. *It won't
help, but it would be amusing.

tom
K0TAR

A Faraday shield allows for magnetic and elerctrical fields to
separate and cancell leaving a RF current thast radios are designed to
handle. The shield unlike what we view as radiators has two side that
are independent of each other where as a "normal" radiators surface is
not separated electrically. The Faraday shield operates at 90 degrees
to an oncomming signal by a blocking method and does not operate as a
recieving type surface
that is directly connected to a radio. The Faraday shield as a single
wall still has a blocking action as fields can encircle the wall but
it cannot protect all. It does however protect the rear surface from
field impingement and the field usually will connefct to a alternate
surface leaving a void directly behind the shielding wall.
The Faraday shield on the other hand is an enclosure that shields the
inside from encroachment on the outside such thast fields do not
interfere with activities within. It does not perform the function of
field separation. In most radio circuits you will see examples of bot
enclosures and shields where the latter incorporates physically
unconnected surfaces for electricaly closed loops.
I don't mind your postings Tom as it provides those that are educated
some idea of your true standing in life.
With respect to a closely aligned feed which to your mind leaves an
imediate short;.
I suggest you look at a three band dipole all connected at the same
point. Each dipole provides a low resistance path for a particular
applied frequency in its seach for a closed circuit. The applied
current will not divert to a path of higher resistance or impedance in
this case because we have to consider the effect of phase differences.
With these sort of actions we can have several different paths for the
current to follow but I assure you that it will pick the same one
every time dependent on the frequency applied.
Now to the wire mesh curtain. It provides a separate low impedence
path for every frequency applied to it as well as a separate path for
the displacement current that encloses a separate field ( see my page)
which has the abilitity to accellerate mass as with an electric
gun.The maximum accelleration applied to mass is obviously determined
by its intrinsic mass where a minimum mass determines the speed of
light. Today the smallest particle found is that of a Neutrino thus
one can see the connection of the Sun to communication as we see it
today.
Regarding your description of the shield to a long wire or dipole,
gthe curtain or shield does not provide a electrical connection for
both sides of the shield as a dipole or long wire does.
See Tom, your past postings are completely devoid of technical content
and probably provide all readers with a silent chucklel
By the way, a curtain is able to supply a very large aperture which is
synonimous with the amount of gain it supplies. You might want to
ponder on that aspect before you disparage it.
The above is provided for you and your friends to salivate apon so you
may provide a few more chuckles to those on the side lines.
Note I have left some grammerr and spelling errors for you to comment
upon in the absence of any technical content.
Cheers and beers
Art Unwin KB9MZ.....xg
Old March 10th 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 10, 4:56*pm, Art Unwin wrote:
On Mar 9, 7:58*pm, tom wrote:

. The Faraday shield as a single
wall still has a blocking action as fields can encircle the wall but
it cannot protect all. It does however protect the rear surface from
field impingement and the field usually will connefct to a alternate
surface leaving a void directly behind the shielding wall.

That is nonsense.

The Faraday shield is defined as an enclosure, The Faraday Cage.

The Faraday shield on the other hand is an enclosure that shields the
inside from encroachment on the outside such that fields do not
interfere with activities within.

Faraday conveyed his ideas in clear and simple language. Something
Unwin is incapable of.
Old March 11th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Art Unwin wrote:

A Faraday shield allows for magnetic and elerctrical fields to
separate and cancell leaving a RF current thast radios are designed to
handle

No, that's absolutely incorrect. Nothing is separated. And what's left
over, if anything measurable is, is an electromagnetic wave.

The shield unlike what we view as radiators has two side that
are independent of each other where as a "normal" radiators surface is
not separated electrically. The Faraday shield operates at 90 degrees
to an oncomming signal by a blocking method and does not operate as a
recieving type surface
that is directly connected to a radio.

No it doesn't. You are wrong.

[...]

And I'll just summarize all the last part, since it would be a total
waste of time to comment individually on points -

YOU ARE WRONG. Totally, completely, and terribly wrong.

And no, I'm not going into how or why, because you never ever listen or
understand.

tom
K0TAR
Old March 11th 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 10, 8:07*pm, tom wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:

A Faraday shield allows for magnetic and elerctrical fields to
separate and cancell leaving a RF current thast radios are designed to
handle

No, that's absolutely incorrect. *Nothing is separated. *And what's left
over, if anything measurable is, is an electromagnetic wave.

The shield unlike what we view as radiators has two side that
are independent of each other where as a "normal" radiators surface is
not separated electrically. The Faraday shield operates at 90 degrees
to an oncomming signal by a blocking method and does not operate as a
recieving type surface
that is directly connected to a radio.

No it doesn't. *You are wrong.

[...]

Oh My. I am wrong but you are unable to describe how I am wrong,how
convenient!
You need to brush up on attenuation versus skin depth, surface
conduction and a host of other things such as a sealed surface can be
considered as an aperture with respect to shielding. I would recommend
a book on shielding etc by Ralph Morrison 5 th edition that will bring
you up to date on the function of perforated shielding plates,
screening etc.Just saying that I am wrong without explanation or
explaining your record on the subject is nothing more than the voice
of a child exercising free speech.If you can provide technical data to
support your position we can discuss but just saying one is wrong
serves nobody.
One thing you really need to understand is the nature of a
accellerated and decellerated charge and its connection with a time
varient current, the latter being the only connection
that a xmitter or rcvr can handle to provide communication and its
connection with a parallel tank circuit.

Have a happy day
Art

mesh radiator Art Unwin Antenna 21 October 12th 09 02:52 AM
Reflector mesh surface Art Unwin Antenna 71 December 31st 08 05:25 AM
How does it feel to use a commercial high gain curtain antenna and being a HF big gun for a weekend.. pa3abk Antenna 2 February 4th 08 09:34 PM
Ground Radial - Steel Welded Wire Mesh Fencing -plus- K9AY Terminated Loop Antenna Group on YAHOO ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 5th 05 02:17 AM
anyone have any info on "BOBCAT CURTAIN" antenna??? Bill Reed Antenna 4 November 3rd 04 03:52 PM