Old May 7th 14, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default crimp terminals for the aluminum rg-6 type coax

Has anyone tried using some of the ring type terminals like you crimp on
stranded wire to make connections to the cable TV type of rg-6 coax ?

Say to make a dipole and you want to feed it with some rg-6 it is almost
impossiable to make a connection to a wire dipole. I was thinking that I
could take a ring terminal designed for about # 14 copper wire and peel back
some of the aluminum strands and put then through the ring terminal and
crimp it.

I have tried it on a test piece of coax and it holds well, but not sure if
it would hold up out in the weather for a number of years.

Old May 8th 14, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:
Has anyone tried using some of the ring type terminals like you crimp on
stranded wire to make connections to the cable TV type of rg-6 coax ?

The standard is compression connectors. These are used by almost everyone
and can be bought almost everywhere, although out of the US, it may be
cheaper to buy them from eBay vendors.

Specialty shops that cater to satellite TV and cable TV installers stock
them worldwide.

There is a varying range of quality, price, watertightness, etc. You can
also get various ones for specific cables and for more generic, e.g.
one connector for all variants of RG-6.

These work by putting the cable in the connector, putting the connector
in a compression tool and squeezing. Most compress a ring on the back
twoard the front, which causes an internal tube to be pressed in, but I
also have some where the front is pushed in.

You can also buy waterproof boots for F connectors to really keep the water
out.

I have not only F connectors, but BNC and RCA too.

Geoff.

Old May 8th 14, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 5/7/2014 10:14 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

Compression connectors are good for indoors, but even the "waterproof
boots" don't do well in situations such as ham antennas. They're OK if
you're connecting to an "F" connector female, but even then they have a
tendency to leak if left in inclement weather for too long.

Ring terminals are good when you don't have a female "F" connector but
terminals (or bolts) instead. But if they are exposed to the weather,
they should be soldered instead of crimped.

We go through a lot of "F" connectors. But we've never found a great
solution for male "F" connectors connected to female "F" connectors and
exposed to the elements. They start to fail after about 5 years or do.

Crimped "F" connectors in protected environments last for decades,
though. Never had a good crimp fail in over 10 years of installations.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old May 8th 14, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:
Has anyone tried using some of the ring type terminals like you crimp on
stranded wire to make connections to the cable TV type of rg-6 coax ?

The standard is compression connectors. These are used by almost everyone
and can be bought almost everywhere, although out of the US, it may be
cheaper to buy them from eBay vendors.

I know about the standard type of compression connectors.

What I am wanting to do is connect the coax to some # 14 wire such as might
be found at the center of a dipole.

Sofar I have not seen any rg-6 coax PL259 compression connectors. I have
some for rg6 to BNC. I also have some for most other sizes of coax.

Old May 8th 14, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message

Ring terminals are good when you don't have a female "F" connector but
terminals (or bolts) instead. But if they are exposed to the weather,
they should be soldered instead of crimped.

We go through a lot of "F" connectors. But we've never found a great
solution for male "F" connectors connected to female "F" connectors and
exposed to the elements. They start to fail after about 5 years or do.

Crimped "F" connectors in protected environments last for decades, though.
Never had a good crimp fail in over 10 years of installations.

The problem is I can not solder the aluminum braid of the RG-6 type of coax.
I need to connect some rg-6 aluminum braid coax to some # 14 wire.
That is why I asked if if the crimp ring terminals will hold up outside.
That is the only thing I can come up with to get from rg-6 to # 14 copper
wire that I have around the house.

Old May 8th 14, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:
Has anyone tried using some of the ring type terminals like you crimp on
stranded wire to make connections to the cable TV type of rg-6 coax ?

The standard is compression connectors. These are used by almost everyone
and can be bought almost everywhere, although out of the US, it may be
cheaper to buy them from eBay vendors.

I know about the standard type of compression connectors.

What I am wanting to do is connect the coax to some # 14 wire such as might
be found at the center of a dipole.

Sofar I have not seen any rg-6 coax PL259 compression connectors. I have
some for rg6 to BNC. I also have some for most other sizes of coax.

A female chassis mount F connector mounted on some insulator with holes in
the ends as a strain relief.

--
Jim Pennino
Old May 8th 14, 09:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:

The problem is I can not solder the aluminum braid of the RG-6 type of coax.
I need to connect some rg-6 aluminum braid coax to some # 14 wire.
That is why I asked if if the crimp ring terminals will hold up outside.
That is the only thing I can come up with to get from rg-6 to # 14 copper
wire that I have around the house.

I think you are going about it the wrong way. Would a grounding block
do the job?

Geoff

Old May 8th 14, 01:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 5/7/2014 11:51 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[...]

Are you sure the braid is aluminum and not silver coated copper? We use
RG-6-quad, which has two layers of foil alternating with two layers of
silvered copper braid.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old May 8th 14, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message
Are you sure the braid is aluminum and not silver coated copper? We use
RG-6-quad, which has two layers of foil alternating with two layers of
silvered copper braid.

I don't have that much experiance with the rg-6, but I have never seen any
that used silver coated copper. Just way too expensive for the cable TV
industry. I have used lots of silver coated rg-400 and rg-214. They take
solder very well. The rg-6 braid I have seen will not take solder. I have
used regular 60/40 and some silver bearing solder also. Have used several
soldering guns up to the largest Weller (thinking around 325 watts ) gun.

I have been a ham for over 40 years and put on lots of pl259 solder
connectors and lately the crimp on 259, bnc and N types.

Just lately I may put up an antenna that needs to have a 1/4 wavelength of
70 ohm coax as a matching segment. I have some rg-6 laying around the
house,but not any rg59 or rg11. Just trying to find something that will let
me connect that braid that I can not solder to to a # 14 stranded wire and
will stand up being outside.

Old May 8th 14, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:

The problem is I can not solder the aluminum braid of the RG-6 type of
coax.
I need to connect some rg-6 aluminum braid coax to some # 14 wire.
That is why I asked if if the crimp ring terminals will hold up outside.
That is the only thing I can come up with to get from rg-6 to # 14 copper
wire that I have around the house.

I think you are going about it the wrong way. Would a grounding block
do the job?

Geoff

Geoff I think you have given me an idea. I have some F type barrels around
and if I drill out the center, I can put an F connector on the coax and push
the center of the coax through the barrlel and then use a ring terminal
under a nut on that barrel connector.
The I can solder to the ring terminal and also the the center conductor of
the rg-6.
The way I plan on mounting the coax and connection the the wire will not be
under any stress so it will not need to be very strong mechanically.