Old June 16th 14, 04:17 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antennae for 136kHz?

What is the availabilty of helium-filled balloons to
haul up a 1/4 wave vertical?

Old June 16th 14, 06:33 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/16/2014 10:17 AM, gareth wrote:
What is the availabilty of helium-filled balloons to
haul up a 1/4 wave vertical?

Seem pretty available, I used Google, it is a search engine,
I put in "large helium Balloons" and got 453,000 hits.
Here are a few.

http://www.balloonsfast.com/36inchlatexballoons.html
http://www.balloondealer.com/app/
http://balloons.net/Helium_Balloons/index.php
http://www.partiespluswholesale.com/..._Balloons.html

Mikek

---

Old June 16th 14, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
joe joe is offline

amdx wrote:

On 6/16/2014 10:17 AM, gareth wrote:
What is the availabilty of helium-filled balloons to
haul up a 1/4 wave vertical?

Seem pretty available, I used Google, it is a search engine,
I put in "large helium Balloons" and got 453,000 hits.
Here are a few.

http://www.balloonsfast.com/36inchlatexballoons.html
http://www.balloondealer.com/app/
http://balloons.net/Helium_Balloons/index.php
http://www.partiespluswholesale.com/..._Balloons.html

Mikek

On there other hand, floating a tethered balloon 1/3 mile into the air may
be a problem for airplanes.
Old June 16th 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/16/2014 1:54 PM, joe wrote:
amdx wrote:

On 6/16/2014 10:17 AM, gareth wrote:
What is the availabilty of helium-filled balloons to
haul up a 1/4 wave vertical?

Seem pretty available, I used Google, it is a search engine,
I put in "large helium Balloons" and got 453,000 hits.
Here are a few.

http://www.balloonsfast.com/36inchlatexballoons.html
http://www.balloondealer.com/app/
http://balloons.net/Helium_Balloons/index.php
http://www.partiespluswholesale.com/..._Balloons.html

Mikek

On there other hand, floating a tethered balloon 1/3 mile into the air may
be a problem for airplanes.

Definitely in the United States, anyway. For a temporary setup (i.e a
weekend), you would at least have to notify the FAA. They may or may
not give permission, depending on your location in relation to airport
and heliports.

Longer setups would probably require a lot of bureaucracy.

I would guess the U.K. has similar requirements.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old June 16th 14, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

joe wrote:
amdx wrote:

On 6/16/2014 10:17 AM, gareth wrote:
What is the availabilty of helium-filled balloons to
haul up a 1/4 wave vertical?

Seem pretty available, I used Google, it is a search engine,
I put in "large helium Balloons" and got 453,000 hits.
Here are a few.

http://www.balloonsfast.com/36inchlatexballoons.html
http://www.balloondealer.com/app/
http://balloons.net/Helium_Balloons/index.php
http://www.partiespluswholesale.com/..._Balloons.html

Mikek

On there other hand, floating a tethered balloon 1/3 mile into the air may
be a problem for airplanes.

Not may, but will, and most countries also regulate such.

In the USA, under Title 14, Part 101 it says that moored ballons may not
operate more than 500 feet above the surface of the earth or within
5 miles of the boundary of any airport.

It further says that moored ballons may not be operated more than 150 feet
above the surface of the earth without 24 hours prior notification to
the nearest FAA ATC facility of all the details of the planned flight.

I doubt the rules are much different anywhere in the 1st world.

--
Jim Pennino

Old June 17th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message ,
writes
joe wrote:
amdx wrote:

[...]

The UK certainly used to have a permanent mast height limit of something
like only 40 feet within 2 miles of an airfield. There's also a general
limit on the height of flying kites (unrelated to amateur radio) of
something like 150 or 200 feet (Google required to check).
--
Ian
Old June 17th 14, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default [OT] Antennae for 136kHz?

On 6/17/2014 3:22 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
writes
joe wrote:
amdx wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of an event from the mid 80's, NC. Late Sunday afternoons
our Civil Air Patrol squadron flew a route over seven lakes around
Raleigh, NC, looking for stranded boaters. We had radio contact with
the local Coast Guard Reserve units on each of the lakes, and would
direct them to someone whom we thought was in trouble. Of course, the
CGR did their part by notifying boaters we would be checking, and to
watch for us if they were in trouble. I was flying as an observer this
time (we had two observers - one on each side of the plane so the pilot
could concentrate on flying).

Going over one lake at about 1,000 feet above ground level, I had to
make an abrupt turn. There was a guy in a para-sail being towed by a
speedboat - about 200 feet ABOVE us. He was so small (and we weren't
expecting anything over us - air traffic control had nothing on radar)
that we didn't see him until almost too late.

Fortunately, we missed him (and his tow rope). Looking back, he was
softly floating towards the water.

I don't think ATC believed us and don't know if the FAA did anything
about it. But I'll bet that guy didn't soar that high again!

--
==================

Old June 17th 14, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
writes
joe wrote:
amdx wrote:

[...]

For grins and giggles I checked the CAA web site and found that you need
to file a written application to fly a moored balloon at or above 60 M.

So much for a 1/4 wave antenna at 136 kHz, but 59 M would be better than
nothing.

--
Jim Pennino
Old June 18th 14, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 15:40:35 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

Fortunately, we missed him (and his tow rope). Looking back, he was
softly floating towards the water.

I don't think ATC believed us and don't know if the FAA did anything
about it. But I'll bet that guy didn't soar that high again!

Great story. He probably couldn't wait to change his underwear! I know it would
have scared it out of me! ;-)

Antennae base rcklfrtz Homebrew 5 December 17th 06 07:38 AM
136khz data signal [email protected] Shortwave 10 December 18th 05 06:34 AM
Looking for help regarding satellie antennae [email protected] Antenna 8 September 1st 05 03:21 AM
Question on antennae JohnM CB 6 July 11th 05 09:19 PM
Homemade Antennae, help Steve Muir Antenna 6 April 12th 04 04:44 AM