Old October 7th 15, 06:21 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 6 metre antennae

"Steve" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:07:35 +0100, gareth wrote:

Having now got a 6 metre facility (viz, 6m converter project uncomplete
under the bench from 20 years ago :-( ), I wonder what are the
favoured antennae for this band?

A lot depends on what you are hoping to work. To start with, a groundplane
will give you good results both for local FM and DX ssb/morse (during the
Sporadic E season, little DX otherwise.) For more serious DX and F2
propagation, a beam is really a must. Not only for the gain, but also to
cut signals/noise from unwanted directions. Summertime 6m Es can be
absolute bedlam and every little helps!

Damn! Just had a big clearout and binned a samll rotator that had been
languishing in the shed for 20 years!

Old October 7th 15, 06:35 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in
:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
Having now got a 6 metre facility (viz, 6m converter project
uncomplete
under
the bench from 20 years ago :-( ), I wonder
what are the favoured antennae for this band?
And, as the FT450D has a single antenna jack, is there an antenna
design
that would cover 6M as well as the HF bands?
just ignore it...6m is a merrycan band....
The local S20, etc, population must have decamped somewhere,
unless, that
is, they
are all 12 WPM failures and are now on HF masquerading as _REAL_
radio amateurs?
WHY 2M DIED.....
The Fls started to appear on 2m and treated it like local 11m and
abused it
and those on it....decent hams went elsewhere...hammy mens went onto
their stolen HF where the wanted to be anyway....class Bs went onto
HF where they
always wanted to be anyway and abandoned 2m....that is why 2m is dead

Until I read the last bit, I was going to add
"And God's in His heaven, and all's right with the world".
However, I guess He isn't, and it isn't.

Some children have imaginary friends and it is preposterous that some
adults continue
to live in such make believe, but if the god is masculine, does that
not imply the presence
of male sexual organs, implying therefore that there must not only be
female gods but also
whole families of gods as the result of the inevitable copulations;
therefore showing up
the Christians and Muslims to be utter charlatans and gving greater
credence to Hindus
and the ancient Romans and ancient Greeks?

GIGO. According to the Judaeo-Christian myth, G_d created man in his own
image. Woman was an afterthought.

Old October 7th 15, 08:06 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 18:21:21 +0100, gareth wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:07:35 +0100, gareth wrote:

Having now got a 6 metre facility (viz, 6m converter project
uncomplete under the bench from 20 years ago :-( ), I wonder what
are the favoured antennae for this band?

A lot depends on what you are hoping to work. To start with, a
groundplane will give you good results both for local FM and DX
ssb/morse (during the Sporadic E season, little DX otherwise.) For more
serious DX and F2 propagation, a beam is really a must. Not only for
the gain, but also to cut signals/noise from unwanted directions.
Summertime 6m Es can be absolute bedlam and every little helps!

Damn! Just had a big clearout and binned a samll rotator that had been
languishing in the shed for 20 years!

This is why I have a shed crammed full of stuff I'll never need... :-)
Old October 7th 15, 10:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 17:35:12 +0000 (UTC), Custos Custodum wrote:

"gareth" wrote in
:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Adam, like Garth, played with himself way too much so God tried again by
creating another human, this time without the "toy" Adam was so fond of. In his
wisdom, he stated "Let there be tits!" and it was so. Thank God!
Old October 9th 15, 05:20 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
Having now got a 6 metre facility (viz, 6m converter project uncomplete
under
the bench from 20 years ago :-( ), I wonder
what are the favoured antennae for this band?
And, as the FT450D has a single antenna jack, is there an antenna design
that would cover 6M as well as the HF bands?

The answer is to be found in an AT230 ATU with switchable antennae
connections,
together with a ground plane of elements 54" long, with the ground droops at
45 degrees,
after much browsing, but the answer was found in the 1965 edition of the
ARRL VHF
book.

Thanks to all those mature individuals who responded helpfully and civilly
in the
best gentlemanly tradition of amateur radio!

Old October 9th 15, 05:50 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
Having now got a 6 metre facility (viz, 6m converter project uncomplete
under
the bench from 20 years ago :-( ), I wonder
what are the favoured antennae for this band?
And, as the FT450D has a single antenna jack, is there an antenna design
that would cover 6M as well as the HF bands?

The answer is to be found in an AT230 ATU with switchable antennae
connections,
together with a ground plane of elements 54" long, with the ground droops at
45 degrees,
after much browsing, but the answer was found in the 1965 edition of the
ARRL VHF
book.

Thanks to all those mature individuals who responded helpfully and civilly
in the
best gentlemanly tradition of amateur radio!

I know it's Friday, Gareth, but it's not healthy to be so full of liquor
this early.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old October 9th 15, 07:42 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, save some for me.
--
;-)
..

Old October 9th 15, 07:56 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

I get the feeling that all that's left undrunk Chez Gareth is the Advocaat
and half a bottle of Cillit Bang.

Give it 10 minutes or so and it'll just be the Advocaat looking for a home.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old October 10th 15, 08:14 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe God is a gay. I kind of like that vision of God as a drag queen.
It kind of makes sense to me. An outsider observing the human condition
with aloof amusement. Christians still get to call God he and Muslims
get to brag all along that the Christian God is evil. The Buddhists just
won't care at all.

I would just love to see the second coming of Christ turn out to be a
drag queen. I know, I have a sick sense of humour. Can't help it. Come
on, you know that's funny.
Old October 11th 15, 01:51 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

many wee fags have you had today?

The inefficiency of short antennae compared to long antennae, as previously discussed. gareth Antenna 119 February 24th 15 10:54 AM
6 Metre Conundrum charlie Antenna 2 June 4th 07 08:12 PM
80 metre 4-square David G4DMP Antenna 2 October 13th 06 04:14 PM
40 metre band Mike Terry Shortwave 1 January 9th 04 06:34 PM
160 metre efficiency Art Unwin KB9MZ Antenna 8 December 5th 03 06:37 PM