Old February 7th 18, 09:49 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Efficiency of HF mobile antennae?

A question for those who work HF mobile; do you feel that
having a loading coil and a short whip materially affects
your QSO capability, as the text books suggest, for if
not it would seem to suggest that we could all manage
with such antennae as our main base air transducers?

Old February 7th 18, 05:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
A question for those who work HF mobile; do you feel that
having a loading coil and a short whip materially affects
your QSO capability, as the text books suggest, for if
not it would seem to suggest that we could all manage
with such antennae as our main base air transducers?

What someone feels about the laws of physics is irrelevant.

--
Jim Pennino
Old February 8th 18, 10:07 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 07/02/2018 09:49, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
A question for those who work HF mobile; do you feel that
having a loading coil and a short whip materially affects
your QSO capability, as the text books suggest, for if
not it would seem to suggest that we could all manage
with such antennae as our main base air transducers?

Last time I saw a mobile antennae it was attached to a cockroach.
HTH HAND
--

---

Old February 8th 18, 10:26 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 08/02/2018 10:07, Catweazel wrote:
Last time I saw a mobile antennae it was attached to a cockroach.

Another apt term for describing a plod?

Old February 8th 18, 11:48 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 02/07/2018 04:49 AM, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
A question for those who work HF mobile; do you feel that
having a loading coil and a short whip materially affects
your QSO capability, as the text books suggest, for if
not it would seem to suggest that we could all manage
with such antennae as our main base air transducers?

Hello, and that's difficult to answer as you would have to do a
side-by-side comparison of two or more antennas and it gets more
complicated if ionospheric propagation is involved with constantly
varying receive signal levels. Most mobile HF antennas are electrically
short monopoles and as a result look like a capacitor in series with a
small "radiation" resistance (the conductive material of the antenna and
the vehicle body ground plane also provides some ohmic contribution).
The problem is matching the transmitter's RF output impedance (nominally
50 ohms) to the antenna feedpoint. For a longer antenna having a larger
radiation resistance we need a lot less inductance in the loading coil
and less turns means less RF power dissipation in the coil or any other
components comprising the matching network. I'm unsure what you mean by
"base air transducer" but keep in mind this discussion is essentially
about omni-directional antennas. So a mobile/fixed comparison could be
between a vehicular-mounted monopole and, say, a shunt-fed tower or an
RF-fed vertical wire supported between two structures (a common antenna
used in the U.S. for MW (AM) broadcast stations in the early 20th c.
(also aboard ocean liners like Titanic but having rotary spark-gap
transmitters). Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Old February 8th 18, 05:23 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 08/02/2018 10:26, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 08/02/2018 10:07, Catweazel wrote:
Last time I saw a mobile antennae it was attached to a cockroach.

Another apt term for describing a plod?

Not at all; this 'roach was flying.
--

---

Old February 8th 18, 06:32 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 08/02/2018 17:23, Catweazel wrote:
On 08/02/2018 10:26, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 08/02/2018 10:07, Catweazel wrote:
Last time I saw a mobile antennae it was attached to a cockroach.

Another apt term for describing a plod?

Not at all; this 'roach was flying.

You mean that you were flying high after smoking
Cannabis through the roach?

The inefficiency of short antennae compared to long antennae, as previously discussed. gareth Antenna 119 February 24th 15 09:54 AM
Efficiency art Antenna 17 March 17th 07 02:58 AM
Cobra 1000 vs hidden mobile antennae Fuzzball Antenna 1 March 1st 05 09:36 AM
High Efficiency Mobile HF Antenna? Rick Frazier Antenna 12 October 9th 04 09:41 AM
160 metre efficiency Art Unwin KB9MZ Antenna 8 December 5th 03 05:37 PM