Old January 8th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Novice Questions

The following questions have probably been addressed before, and if
there's a FAQ or other source that would answer them, I would appreciate
getting it. Basically, I would like to get a SW receiver sensitive and
selective enough to receive foreign stations broadcasting news,
commentary, music, etc., from countries such as China, Iran, France,
Russia, etc. I don't think I need one sufficiently selective for HAM
reception, but would like one with which I could pick up the national
stations from a number of countries fairly reliably. (Apparently, BBC is
no longer broadcasting directly to North America, and is only available
via the web.)

I now have a Radio Shack portable that sold originally for around $150,
but I haven't been able to use it conveniently. - It is controlled with
multiple pushbuttons, which to me were a hassle. I think I prefer to
have a dial of some sort, because it seems to make it more convenient to
scan a band for signals that are reasonably strong. (I also miss the old
green "eyes" that used to narrow down, or open up, when you centered on
a strong signal. - But I'll be happy for a needle, or whatever.) Another
problem with the RS portable is that it seems to use up batteries quite
fast. - Perhaps I was doing something wrong.

1. Does anyone have suggestions for a table model (could be portable,
but not required) suitable for this kind of use for perhaps $100 - $200?

2. Some sets selling on EBay seem interesting, but several of the
sellers refuse to give any warranty whatsoever. (Not even a DOA
guarantee.) That seems pretty unreasonable to me. In this price range,
would it make more sense to buy a cheaper new receiver rather than take
a chance on an Ebay sale?

3. If I prefer analog tuning of some type, am I typically limited to
buying older, used equipment in this price range?

4. Are there sources other than EBay that I should consider?

Models that I have seen that seem to be good compromises include the
Panasonic RF-4900 or RF-B600, the RF 2800?, etc., or the Radio Shack
DX-394. Also, some of the cheaper, used Hallicrafters, or the
solid-state Trans Oceanics, seem like reasonable buys. However, I don't
want to get involved with checking out all the chokes, capacitors, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

Old January 8th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 7, 9:41 pm, JimC wrote:
[...]

-
- Thanks for any suggestions.
-
- Jim

JimC,

Look at this List of the "Modern Shortwave Receiver Survey"
-hosted by- DXing.Com = http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm
Why not wait an extra month or two and Save-Up and buy
something in the $300 to $450 price range like the :
Drake SW2
JRC NRD-515
Kenwood R-2000
Realistic DX-394
Yaesu FRG-7700

Also take a look at the "Universal Radio Used and
Demo Equipment "For Sale" {Trade-In} List.
http://www.universal-radio.com/alert.html

Plus there is "Bob's Bargain Bin" at Grove Enterprises
BBB = http://www.grove-ent.com/bbbshortwave.htm
Note - Grove Enterprises is now listing Bob's Bargain Bin
items on eBay.

Here is "What's-Out-There" NEW in your price range :

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is a very good 'portable'
AM & FM Shortwave Radio - Priced around $150.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...ON+ICFSW7600GR

The Sangean ATS-909 is also a very good 'portable'
AM & FM Shortwave Radio - Priced around $200.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/1909.html
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=18960

Then again the new Redsun RP2100 is well thought of as a
'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radio - Priced around $100.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ260073332461

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old January 8th 07, 09:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello JimC,

I will add my 2 cents : If you eventually go for a portable, you can
also consider the Degen DE1103 or Kaito KA1103 (same product with
different brands), which has a very good reputation in the SWL forums.

Kaito KA1103 can be purchased from USA with US Warranty for less than $100.

You can also have a look to eHam reviews :
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8

Hope this helps,

Charly
Old January 8th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JimC wrote:
Basically, I would like to get a SW receiver sensitive and
selective enough to receive foreign stations broadcasting news,
commentary, music, etc., from countries such as China, Iran, France,
Russia, etc. I don't think I need one sufficiently selective for HAM
reception, but would like one with which I could pick up the national
stations from a number of countries fairly reliably. (Apparently, BBC is
no longer broadcasting directly to North America, and is only available
via the web.)

1. Does anyone have suggestions for a table model (could be portable,
but not required) suitable for this kind of use for perhaps $100 - $200?

Look for a Kenwood R-1000 on eBay. It's a nice table model that would
be perfect for what you want. They usually go for around $200 or a
little more.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/489

Art N2AH

Old January 8th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Jim,

It is my firm belief that anyone looking for a shortwave receiver which
will actually be used on a daily basis should buy new. When you buy
used, you are buying "someone else's problems." (Why, in general, would
someone sell a radio that is perfectly good?) This comment does not
apply to collectors/restorers but you are not in that category or in
the situation where someone you know personally is selling a deceased
spouse's radio ...

I would not recommend buying from any of the eBay sellers/dealers
(including both used and new items) because you are often buying a
"pig-in-a-poke" and you will get no US warranty. For your first modern,
serious receiver, I think it would be better to buy from an established
dealer which will stand behind its products and will offer a warranty.
Later, if you wanted to try something different, well, then you could
try eBay. (Just note that when you buy on eBay, you are, in effect,
gambling with your money.)

I would recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR as it is sensitive, selective,
very well built, and has a good track record for performance and
longevity. This radio is available from various dealers including
Universal Radio, AES, J&R Music World, and Amazon.com. The price is
$150.00 or less.

As we are now in the shortwave "doldrums" - the bottom of the 11-year
sunspot cycle - an auxiliary antenna is helpful. The Sony comes with a
"wind-up" antenna which can be attached to the whip and often improves
reception. The radio is good enough that it can handle larger external
antennas as well.

The other new radios mentioned here are all good ones according to
their owners but they are all manufactured in China and have no real
track record. (The Sony is manufactured in Japan.)

There is a learning curve with the Sony radio, as there is with any
piece of electronic equipment, but I think you would find that
operation of this receiver is quite straightforward and easy to master.
I believe you would be pleased with it.

The BBC is still actually quite easy to hear, at least on the US east
coast. From 1900 UTC (2:00 PM EST) you can hear them on 12095 kHz;
after 2100 try 9480 or 5875 and from 2200 try 9480 or 5975. At 0300
they are on 6145 for another hour. They can be heard at other times
during the day as well and, of course, there are many other broadcasts
- one of my favorite stations is Radio Netherlands (0000 on 6165 with a
repeat of the show at 0100 on the same frequency; if you're a night
owl, the show is repeated again at 0500, again on the same frequency. I
also enjoy shows on China Radio International, Radio Taiwan
International, the Voice of Russia, and Radio Bulgaria.

Best of luck,

Joe

Old January 9th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

When you buy
used, you are buying "someone else's problems." (Why, in general, would
someone sell a radio that is perfectly good?)

I disagree. While you have to be careful when buying used equipment,
you can get a lot more radio for less money.

Why would someone sell a radio that is perfectly good? Lots of
reasons. Maybe they bought a newer more expensive receiver. Maybe they
got it at a great price at an estate sale and want to make a quick
profit (nothing wrong with that). Maybe they just have too many radios
and are cleaning out their shack. I've bought lots of good used stuff
from eBay without a problem. The main thing is to check the feedback
rating of the seller.

Art N2AH