PDA

View Full Version : Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?


RHF
August 10th 07, 01:51 AM
For One and All,

Brian Hill
August 10th 07, 02:46 AM
The GE P780 is the original or predesesor to the GE Superadios:

http://www.radiointel.com/nrge.htm

BH

Al Lorona
August 10th 07, 09:47 PM
> NOTE - The Radio Shack Optimus Models #s 12-603
> and/ 12-903 may be 'look-a-likes' on the outside
> -but- They do not have the GE Superadios Circuity
> on the inside [.]
> .

In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very similar
performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its audio
sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same (250
hours). Provision for external antenna. Controls don't wobble around and the
platic case is more substantial than the GE which feels 'cheap' in
comparison.

Al W6LX

george conklin
August 11th 07, 12:18 AM
"Al Lorona" > wrote in message
. net...
>
>> NOTE - The Radio Shack Optimus Models #s 12-603
>> and/ 12-903 may be 'look-a-likes' on the outside
>> -but- They do not have the GE Superadios Circuity
>> on the inside [.]
>> .
>
> In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
> similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
> audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
> (250 hours). Provision for external antenna. Controls don't wobble around
> and the platic case is more substantial than the GE which feels 'cheap' in
> comparison.
>
> Al W6LX
>
>
>

I have both the Radio Shack and the GE. The GE is vastly better in terms
of sensitivity and sound quality. I listen to a remote AM station during
the day and the GE is vastly better.

pltrgyst
August 11th 07, 03:36 AM
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:18:28 -0400, "george conklin" > wrote:

>> In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
>> similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
>> audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
>> (250 hours). Provision for external antenna. Controls don't wobble around
>> and the platic case is more substantial than the GE which feels 'cheap' in
>> comparison.
>
> I have both the Radio Shack and the GE. The GE is vastly better in terms
>of sensitivity and sound quality. I listen to a remote AM station during
>the day and the GE is vastly better.

How does the Radio Shack DX-390 compare to these two for AM and FM performance?

Tnx -- Larry

Steven
August 11th 07, 04:12 AM
I notice that the OP is GONE. I know I didn't start it by replying to
another posr.

Lee Richardson
August 11th 07, 09:58 AM
> In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
> similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
> audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
> (250 hours).

Superadio is rated at 400 - 500 hours. Not the same at all.

Lee Richardson
Evansville, Indiana

RHF
August 11th 07, 07:07 PM
On Aug 11, 1:58 am, "Lee Richardson" > wrote:
> > In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
> > similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
> > audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
> > (250 hours).
>
> Superadio is rated at 400 - 500 hours. Not the same at all.
>
> Lee Richardson
> Evansville, Indiana

Point-of-Fact the Circuits may be simular
BUT they are NOT the same [.]

Some have 'claimed' the the RadioShack Radios are
GE Suoeradio IIIs packaged in a RadioShack Shell :
This is NOT the Case [.]

For the time period that their were make the RadioShack
Radios were most likely made by Sangean and are a
Sangean design to 'approximate' a GE Superadio III at
a much lower cost.

As not so 'super' as the GE Superadio III is : It "IS"
better then the Radioshack 'want-to-bees' ~ RHF

Joe Analssandrini
August 12th 07, 12:35 AM
On Aug 9, 8:51 pm, RHF > wrote:
> For One and All,
> .
> Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ?
> - - - - -and- - - - -
> Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?
> .
> OK - Here are the actual GE Superadio Model Numbers :
> .
> # 1 - GE {Superadio I} Model # 7-2880
> "The Original" GE SUPERADIO I = "Super Radio"
> -but- It did not have The Words "Superadio" on the Radio [.]
> General Electric Model # 7-2880
> Speaker: Single/One 5".
> Single Band Width.
> Knobs: Black Body with Chrome Base Ring.
> Size: 13"W - 9"H - 3.25"D
> Badging 'General (GE) Electric' on the speaker grill.
> Printed on the Tuning Band Scale: "Long Range" & "High Selectivity"
> Made in HONG KONG and other locations
> .
> # 2 - GE Superadio I I Model # 7-2885
> The GE SR II = GE SUPERADIO II = "Super Radio"
> General Electric Model # 7-2885
> Speakers: Dual 5" and 1".
> Single Band Width.
> Knobs: Chrome (color) Body including the bases.
> Size 13"W - 9"H - 3.25"D.
> Badging: General (GE) Electric "SUPERADIO II" on the speaker grill.
> Printed on the Tuning Band Scale: "Long Range" & "High Selectivity"
> Made in MALAYSIA and other locations from 1987 until 1994.
> .
> # 3 - GE Superadio I I I Model # 7-2887
> The GE SR III = GE SUPERADIO III = "Super Radio"
> General Electric Model # 7-2887
> Speakers: Dual 6" & 1.5".
> Dual Band Widths: Wide & Normal.
> Knobs: Black Body with Chrome Base Ring.
> Size: 13.5"W - 9"H - 3.75"D.
> Badging: "GE" Square on the speaker grill.
> Printed on the Tuning Band Scale: "Long Range" & "High Selectivity"
> Made In CHINA ?
> .
> Here are some 'so-called' GE "Superadio" Model Numbers
> they are either Digital / Cassette / Boom Boxes /Radios :
> Series - 3-6015 / 3-6025 / 3-6045
> Series - 3-5266 / 3-5268 / 3-5280
> .
> Model # 3-5280 is the so-called GE {Superadio} Cassette
> .
> Model # 7-2882 is the so-called GE Digital {Superadio} Plus
> .
> Then there is the 'so-called' GE "Superadio" CUB
> Model Number 7-2881 that was 'smaller' than the
> GE Superadios and used "C" Batteries
> .
> NOTE - The Radio Shack Optimus Models #s 12-603
> and/ 12-903 may be 'look-a-likes' on the outside
> -but- They do not have the GE Superadios Circuity
> on the inside [.]
> .
> READ THESE "REC.RADIO.SHORTWAVE" MESSAGES
> .
> GE Superadios for Dummies [Was: OT: Superadio ID]http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/0d2291622654ceff
> .
> GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ]http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/b040155dce5df31c
> .
> A Compilation of GE Superadio Postshttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/2518c853aaf62053
> .
> .
> the ge model 7-2885 is in-fact a super radio
> -and- imho the best of the best ~ RHF
> .
> .
> . .

Dear "RHF,"

There were two variants of the original GE Superadio Model 7-2880: the
first one without a strap to hold the batteries in place (they fall
out if the battery cover is even loose) and no antenna screw
terminals, and the second one with both of those improvements.
Otherwise, the two variants are identical and carry the same model
number.

Best,

Joe

Google