Old February 17th 04, 10:55 PM
GJS917

Default G5RV or 35 ft center fed

I have an 80x100 foot lot. On a diagonal between trees I could put up a
flattop of 102 feet. Should I put up a G5RV or bend the wire at each end and
go for a 135 foot center fed? My rig is a TS-440S with a built in tuner.
What type of feed do you recommend. Some say you get the least loss with
twin lead. Should I use 300 or 450 ohm? Then should I put an air choke at
the end of the run and tie the other end of the air choke directly into the
rig's auto tuner? Also should I install a lightning arrestor at the point
where the feed enters the house (I'll probably drop the feed to the roof and
bring it into the attic. The shack is in a second floor bedroom.) I am
presently studying for my license so any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene

Old February 17th 04, 11:55 PM
Thierry

"GJS917" wrote in message
I have an 80x100 foot lot. On a diagonal between trees I could put up a
flattop of 102 feet. Should I put up a G5RV or bend the wire at each end

and
go for a 135 foot center fed? My rig is a TS-440S with a built in tuner.
What type of feed do you recommend. Some say you get the least loss with
twin lead. Should I use 300 or 450 ohm?

Hi,

About G5RV, http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-g5rv.htm
specially p2 for the matching section. Standard is 300ohm ribbon "windowed"
with a balun 4:1
I used it with a TS-570D with quasi a SWR 1:1 on most non-warc bands.

Then should I put an air choke at
the end of the run and tie the other end of the air choke directly into

the
rig's auto tuner? Also should I install a lightning arrestor at the point
where the feed enters the house (I'll probably drop the feed to the roof

and

About lightnings,
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-...protection.htm
Your need an arrestor and also a serious ground. See my article (with sounds
!).

Thierry, ON4SKY

Old February 18th 04, 12:42 AM
'Doc

Gene,
It depends on what bands you want to be able to use. For all
bands (almost), either the G5RV or the 135 foot doublet fed with
450 ohm ladder line should work okay. The tuner in the '440
will
probably not have enough range to make the 135 foot antenna work
on all bands, maybe. A more capable (wider range) tuner should
be
able to with no problems. One way around that is by the length
of
feed line you use, it can make a big difference. It's also
possible
to use coax, but with the same provision about length and there
will be some additional unknown amount of loss.
The G5RV is limited to the bands it will conveniently tune,
more
or less forget the WARC bands.
Good luck with the license...
'Doc
Old February 18th 04, 02:25 AM
Old Ed

Hi Gene -

You don't say what bands you plan to operate; and that is an important
consideration. But you might include a W9INN MPD-5C dipole among
your candidates. It is resonant on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10, and is 87' long.
It's coax fed, not fussy about feedline length, and would not require a
separate antenna tuner.

As to lightning protection, it's always a good thing, and is essential if
you
live in an area with frequent lightning. (There have been no strikes in our
neighborhood in the last 25 years, thank goodness.) But if it's convenient,
think about setting up so you can DISCONNECT your feedline before it
enters the house, during storms. (Lightning is not very smart, and doesn't
always know what it's supposed to do when it encounters little obstacles
like lightning arrestors; so sometimes it ignores them.)

73, Ed

Old February 18th 04, 03:35 PM
Mikey

Gene,either antenna will fit into your yard without a problem, but don't get
locked into the idea that these are your only options, just because a lot of
other folks use them. That's not to say that either antenna wouldn't do a
good job for you; you just have more options.

If you run either antenna, feed with 450-ohm ladder line (look for the stuff
with stranded wire - it holdsup better in the wind. And, 450-ohm line tends
to tune a bit wider than 300-ohm. Forget the auto tuner, and use a good
external tuner - you'll get much better results.

Good luck with your upgrade...

Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

"GJS917" wrote

Old February 19th 04, 06:23 PM
F8BOE

Hello,

Forget the G5RV and get a Levy coupler to feed your 35 ft dipole via the
twinlead!

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

Old February 19th 04, 08:33 PM
Len

Gerry,

102 Feet is plenty for an 80 meter windom. This will give excellent
performance on all bands, only require a tuner on 10 Mhz., and the rigs
tuner will work fine, and it will blow away any G5RV antenna on any band.
They are also more rugged than a G5RV.

My favorite was made by Fritzel, if you can find one.

Since they are 120 feet long, just hang the extra vertically at the ends
with a small weight attached so the wind does not tangle it.

Also, the off center feed usually works out better for most installations
becuase most of us are not lucky enough to have our shack directly under the
antenna - although some cartoons stereotype us that way!

You will not be dissapointed.

73,
Len
WT6G
Do not reply to

Old February 20th 04, 12:28 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Len" wrote in message
[...]

If your refering the the Fritzel FD4 windom....I hate to differ. I used one
in Germany and it sucked.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 21st 04, 01:34 AM
GJS917

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their advice.

Gene

Stupid question G5RV Ken Bessler Antenna 17 January 9th 04 01:06 PM
G5RV Willy Antenna 28 December 21st 03 08:40 AM
OCF Dipole vs. G5RV vs. Carolina Windom ??? Deane Charlson Antenna 11 November 5th 03 09:50 PM
Off Center Fed Dipole: Windom HSQ Charles Wittnam Antenna 8 September 2nd 03 01:25 AM
G5RV 450 ohm or 300 ohm Phasing line Andy Antenna 2 August 15th 03 02:10 AM