Old November 20th 03, 04:35 PM
Ken Bessler

Default New amp available soon

HF Pack's K5OOR amp build IV is nearing it's release
date. The amp accepts 1-2 watts drive to produce 35-40
watts output. The amp runs class AB and is bandswitched.
Operates 160, 80, 75, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10
meters. New to build IV is tha addition of 60 meters.

Cost of the amp is only $122 for the complete kit. You
can see details for this project at:

http://www.hfprojects.com/

Pictures of the amp are at:

http://www.hfprojects.com/v2/modules...showpage&pid=1

Note: This project complys with FCC Regulations
97.3(a)(19), 97.515, and 97.317. Recently, K5OOR
built and tested such an amplifiers under 97.315(b)(3)(i).
It is understood that this activity was consistent with the
Regulations.

Currently, the group is waiting for a few more ops to sign
on to the project - we need a total of at least 100 members
to order the parts. Currently we have about 50 signed up.

Also, I read somewhere that this may be the last run for
this series so you may want to jump on the band wagon
before the chance slips away!

After this project is gone the only bandswitched legal QRP
drive amps will be the ones like the Tokyo High Power
HL50B ($300+ for 50w).

So join our group and have the pride of announcing to
the other end of a QSO that you are running a homebrew
amp!

http://www.hfprojects.com/signup/signup.html

73's de Ken KG0WX

Old November 20th 03, 06:10 PM
VHFRadioBuff

The amp accepts 1-2 watts drive to produce 35-40
watts output. The amp runs class AB and is bandswitched.
Operates 160, 80, 75, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10
meters. New to build IV is tha addition of 60 meters.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't commercially made amps subject to some
limitations, like it can't have the ability to work 15 - 10 meters out of the
box (The user has to enable that ability) and aren't they required to use a
higher input to work?

Or is that only limited to amps of a certian output and higher? I noticed this
amp does 35 - 40 watts (A QRP amp, obviously)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com

Old November 20th 03, 06:32 PM
Ken Bessler

"VHFRadioBuff" wrote in message
The amp accepts 1-2 watts drive to produce 35-40
watts output. The amp runs class AB and is bandswitched.
Operates 160, 80, 75, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10
meters. New to build IV is tha addition of 60 meters.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't commercially made amps subject to some
limitations, like it can't have the ability to work 15 - 10 meters out of

the
box (The user has to enable that ability) and aren't they required to use

higher input to work?

Or is that only limited to amps of a certian output and higher? I noticed

this
amp does 35 - 40 watts (A QRP amp, obviously)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com

You're not mistaken. The THP amp *is* a commercial
amp but the K5OOR amp is NOT. It's a kit, and by
FCC regs you can build one a year for your personal
use. Now as to commercial amps, I believe the regs
atste that it must have a drive requirement of 50 watts
minimum and can't work 10 meters out of the box (15
meters is OK)

Virgil, K5OOR, might be able to clarify the matter
further as he seems to have done research on it.

Opinion from the FCC on the project:

An opinion from the FCC was sought concerning conformance to the rules and
regulations. Here is their response:

"The main question in your letter seems to be whether a group of amateur
radio operators may pool their need to buy electronic parts and components
so that each member of the group may build a project for their amateur radio
station. The project is an amplifier that could be used with QRP
transmitters to increase the station power to 35 watts RF output.

Section 97.315(a) provides that no more than 1 unit of 1 model of an
external RF power amplifier capable of operation below 144 MHZ may be
constructed or modified during any calendar year by an amateur operator for
use at a station without a grant of certification. The intent of the rule
was to accommodate amateur radio operator's desire to be able to build one
amplifier per year, or modify one amplifier per year, for use at his or her
station, but to prevent an amateur radio operator from mass marketing
amplifiers.

Based on the description of the project that you have provided, because the
amplifiers are being constructed by members of your group individually, they
would be permitted under this rule. The rule does not prohibit a group of
individuals from coordinating the purchase of parts to obtain a better
price, or otherwise address how parts are obtained. Rather, it allows
construction (or modification) of one external RF power amplifier per year
capable of operation below 144 MHZ, provided this construction or
modification is done by an amateur radio operator and the amplifier is for
use at a station.

The rule section you inquire about, Section 97.315(b) applies to any
external RF power amplifier or external RF power amplifier kit manufactured,
imported or
modified for use in a station or attached at any station. From your
description of the project, it does not appear that the coordinated buying
or distribution of parts among members of the group results in an external
RF power amplifier kit that is "manufactured, imported or modified for use
in a station." Rather, the amplifiers are being constructed by amateur
radio operators for use as part of their amateur radio stations and,
therefore, my view is that Section 97.315(b) does not apply."

Hope that helps Andy....

73's de KG0WX

Old November 20th 03, 07:22 PM
VHFRadioBuff

You're not mistaken. The THP amp *is* a commercial
amp but the K5OOR amp is NOT. It's a kit

Ah, that's true. I missed that part.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Old November 22nd 03, 04:44 AM
Bob Miller

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:35:58 -0700, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

HF Pack's K5OOR amp build IV is nearing it's release
date. The amp accepts 1-2 watts drive to produce 35-40
watts output. The amp runs class AB and is bandswitched.
Operates 160, 80, 75, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10
meters. New to build IV is tha addition of 60 meters.

What if the exciter (a ten tec 1320) puts out 4 or 5 watts cw, and
there's no convenient way to lower the output? Would that overdrive
the amp?

Bob
k5qwg

Old November 22nd 03, 09:41 AM
ps

Ken Bessler wrote:

HF Pack's K5OOR amp build IV is nearing it's release
date. The amp accepts 1-2 watts drive to produce 35-40
watts output. The amp runs class AB and is bandswitched.
Operates 160, 80, 75, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10
meters. New to build IV is tha addition of 60 meters.

Cost of the amp is only $122 for the complete kit. You
can see details for this project at:

http://www.hfprojects.com/

Who winds the inductors in this kit? If there are no instructions this
could be a problem.