Old November 23rd 03, 04:07 AM
VHFRadioBuff

Default Grounded mic's - WHY?

Hello all. I have a question. How come with some commercial radios, Tone
Squelch only works when the mic clip is grounded, so when you remove the mic
from the clip, it opens the receive to everything?

I recently bought a Standard UHF radio for GMRS use and it has this, so my wife
can listen for me without hearing other junk, but when she removes the mic
(that I had to ground), she hears everything on the freq!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Old November 23rd 03, 01:11 PM
Ralph Mowery

Hello all. I have a question. How come with some commercial radios, Tone
Squelch only works when the mic clip is grounded, so when you remove the

mic
from the clip, it opens the receive to everything?

I recently bought a Standard UHF radio for GMRS use and it has this, so my

wife
can listen for me without hearing other junk, but when she removes the mic
(that I had to ground), she hears everything on the freq!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com

It is so that you will hear the other users. That way you will know not to
try and talk while the frequency is in use by others that have a differant
tone setting.

Old November 23rd 03, 01:55 PM
VHFRadioBuff

It is so that you will hear the other users. That way you will know not to
try and talk while the frequency is in use by others that have a differant
tone setting.

If that's the case, then it's opposite in thinking to amateur radio, where a
repeater may have a PL decode tone, which will allow you to talk on the
repeater, but not hear anyone else on that same frequency. The local repeater
here is on 146.910 and another on 147.045. There's other repeaters that often
will start coming in on the same frequencies, but if you have decode on, you'll
never know you're transmitting while others are talking on the other repeaters.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Old November 23rd 03, 04:30 PM
Ralph Mowery

It is so that you will hear the other users. That way you will know not
try and talk while the frequency is in use by others that have a

differant
tone setting.

If that's the case, then it's opposite in thinking to amateur radio, where

repeater may have a PL decode tone, which will allow you to talk on the
repeater, but not hear anyone else on that same frequency. The local

repeater
here is on 146.910 and another on 147.045. There's other repeaters that

often
will start coming in on the same frequencies, but if you have decode on,

you'll
never know you're transmitting while others are talking on the other

repeaters.

Ham radio is opposite of most comercial thinking. On a local ham repeater
most hams want ot be able to hear all that is going on on the repeater so
that if anyone puts out a call he can be answered by anyone for a casual
chat. GMRS users are usually only interisted in the other parties they want
to talk to and not hear all the chatter on the frequency. That is why the
hook switch blocks out the gmrs and also releases the tone decoder when off
hook.

Old November 23rd 03, 04:35 PM
G. Skiffington

Howdy Andy.....Reread what Ralph described to you carefully and, when
you
think about it, you'll see that he's described exactly the same
reasoning
amateur repeaters use PL tones, with the same benefits and consequences
if their use is misunderstood (a user who, using the correct PL tones,
and is accessing a repeater may be interferred with by another station
transmitting on the same frequency but not using PL tones or who may be
using a different PL tone...of course the difference in signal strengths
received by the repeater will determine the degree of interference).

Maybe some amateur repeaters are transmitting a PL tone....if so I
didn't realize that, and persons in the coverage area could be open to
interference if for some reason they attempted to share the frequency
using a different tone or no tone (and vice versa). The best bet, as
we all (should) know, is to listen first, ensure the frequency is clear,
then transmit.

Old November 23rd 03, 08:37 PM
Richard G Amirault

VHFRadioBuff wrote:
: Hello all. I have a question. How come with some commercial radios, Tone
: Squelch only works when the mic clip is grounded, so when you remove the mic
: from the clip, it opens the receive to everything?

: I recently bought a Standard UHF radio for GMRS use and it has this, so my wife
: can listen for me without hearing other junk, but when she removes the mic
: (that I had to ground), she hears everything on the freq!

She is supposed to .. before transmitting .. how else would she (or
anyone) know if there is someone else using the frequency?

Ham radio is different .. if a repeater needs a tone for access it is to
keep distant users of a similar (or same) frequency repeater from
accessing your local repeater unintentially. It is not to keep different
users of the same repeater from hearing each other.

Many different users can access a GMRS repeater. To keep from hearing
unwanted converstations those in your "group" agree to use a specific
tone. So you only hear 'calls' from your group. But the repeater may
already be in use when your group tries to make contact. Listening without
a tone is the only way to be sure you are not interfering with another,
ongoing conversation.

To put it another way .. assuming that your HAM repeater passes tones.
Would you set up a tone with a fellow ham for use on a non-tone required
repeater? If you did, then you would not hear any other traffic on the
repater except your firend. If you didn't listen without a tone first,
before transmitting, you'll eventually end up stepping on an existing
conversation on the repeater ... and making folks really, mad at you!

Richard in Boston, MA, USA