Old January 8th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Scratchy RF gain knob on 535D

Hello all,

I took a break from SWL for a few months (competing obsession), and
when I went to listen a couple of nights ago, I got a scratchy sound
from the speaker when adjusting the RF gain knob. On stereo
equipment, when that happens I pull the offending knob off, and spritz
the pot with some Radio Shack Tuner Control Cleaner & Lubricant.
However, I don't want to start spraying stuff into my good SW radio
without finding out what the risks, if any, are.

The radio is a JRC NRD-535D, bought on EBay about a year ago. Until
now it's been working pretty well. Is the spray cleaner the way to
deal with this problem? Or is there a better way to deal with it?
What do you all recommend?

Thanks,

DWP
Old January 8th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

labtech_one wrote:
You can use contact cleaner, or just plain ole WD40, spray and work
the control back and forth a few times to break loose the
'dirt' and then spray again to rinse it away. Wait about 1 hour,
for the spray to dry, before using the radio again. WD and some
contact cleaners are a) flamable and/or b) conductive

"CelticDude" wrote in message
Hello all,

I took a break from SWL for a few months (competing obsession), and
when I went to listen a couple of nights ago, I got a scratchy sound
from the speaker when adjusting the RF gain knob. On stereo
equipment, when that happens I pull the offending knob off, and spritz
the pot with some Radio Shack Tuner Control Cleaner & Lubricant.
However, I don't want to start spraying stuff into my good SW radio
without finding out what the risks, if any, are.

The radio is a JRC NRD-535D, bought on EBay about a year ago. Until
now it's been working pretty well. Is the spray cleaner the way to
deal with this problem? Or is there a better way to deal with it?
What do you all recommend?

Thanks,

DWP

Huh? How hot a spark can you make with 6 V?
Old January 8th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mc mc is offline

"David" wrote in message
labtech_one wrote:
You can use contact cleaner, or just plain ole WD40, spray and work
the control back and forth a few times to break loose the
'dirt' and then spray again to rinse it away. Wait about 1 hour,
for the spray to dry, before using the radio again. WD and some
contact cleaners are a) flamable and/or b) conductive

I strongly recommend using the appropriate Caig product (available at Radio
Shack) rather than WD-40 or a solvent chosen at random. That will help
ensure that it stays clean and properly lubricated after the cleaner dries.

Huh? How hot a spark can you make with 6 V?

You can certainly make a spark with 6 volts. It's unlikely to happen in an
RF gain control.

Old January 9th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mc wrote:
"David" wrote in message
labtech_one wrote:
You can use contact cleaner, or just plain ole WD40, spray and work
the control back and forth a few times to break loose the
'dirt' and then spray again to rinse it away. Wait about 1 hour,
for the spray to dry, before using the radio again. WD and some
contact cleaners are a) flamable and/or b) conductive

I strongly recommend using the appropriate Caig product (available at Radio
Shack) rather than WD-40 or a solvent chosen at random. That will help
ensure that it stays clean and properly lubricated after the cleaner dries.

Huh? How hot a spark can you make with 6 V?

You can certainly make a spark with 6 volts. It's unlikely to happen in an
RF gain control.

I know you can make a spark; is it enough to ignite light oil? Naptha
perhaps...

I work in an electronics lab facility where we use every kind of cleaner
there is. We've never waited an hour to avoid explosions from the
De-Ox-It or the WD-40.

Old January 9th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 8, 8:24 pm, David wrote:
mc wrote:
"David" wrote in message
labtech_one wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all the responses. I had a couple of responses come
straight to my email, and they both recommended just turning the knob
back and forth. This did work a bit. Good to know I can use the
control cleaner too, if necessary.

DWP
Old January 9th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mc mc is offline

I know you can make a spark; is it enough to ignite light oil? Naptha
perhaps...

I work in an electronics lab facility where we use every kind of cleaner
there is. We've never waited an hour to avoid explosions from the
De-Ox-It or the WD-40.

Very good point. Waiting a couple of minutes, until the obvious fumes
disperse, ought to be sufficient.

Old January 9th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

CelticDude wrote:
On Jan 8, 8:24 pm, David wrote:
mc wrote:
"David" wrote in message
labtech_one wrote:
[...]

Make a 12" loop of kite string, then make a small loop in that to go
around the knob. By moving your hands slightly you can work that knob
back and forth very easily.
Old January 10th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
mc wrote:
"David" wrote in message
labtech_one wrote:
You can use contact cleaner, or just plain ole WD40, spray and work
the control back and forth a few times to break loose the
'dirt' and then spray again to rinse it away. Wait about 1 hour,
for the spray to dry, before using the radio again. WD and some
contact cleaners are a) flamable and/or b) conductive

If the problem is good contact between the metal wiper and the carbon
or plastic resistive element, a little conductivity might not be a bad
thing.

I strongly recommend using the appropriate Caig product (available at Radio
Shack) rather than WD-40 or a solvent chosen at random. That will help
ensure that it stays clean and properly lubricated after the cleaner dries.

From the directions on their web site, "CaiLube MCL". I found it at the
local Fry's. MG Chemical's "Nu-Trol" works about the same. Lubricating
control cleaner seems to be the generic name.

I reserve the De-Oxit type stuff for cassette tape unit "Record"
switches, leaky battery holder terminals, VCR Mode Switches,
intermittent phone jack cutout switches, and the like where the
problem is cruddy metal-metal contacts.

Mark Zenier