Old February 24th 04, 05:18 PM
KD5SRL

Default Good Moble HF Antenna - Suggestions / Comments?

Hey Folks,

I'm getting ready to trade in the old Ford truck and purchase a new
Honda Element or CR-V. I'll be looking to place something like the
YAESU - FT-857 (I've been a Kenwood man forever) and need to match it
up to a nice screw driver type antenna. I need something that I can
get into my garage when it is off in low position without destroying
it or the paint on my garage door.

I've taken a look at High Sierra "Side Kick"
3.5 MHz to 60 MHz with our 3 foot whip.
1.5:1, or less, typical SWR
200 watt power rating to the antenna
Just over 4 feet when fully retracted
About 4.5 feet when fully extended
It weighs about 2 pounds
High-Q phenolic coil and no hazardous Beryllium finger stock
Comes with our Black Hawk Motor

Does anyone have any experience with High Sierra or comments or
suggestions for a good HF mobile rig set up. Size matters! I need
something small but good. I know... I know... I want my cake and eat
it too but if this is too much to ask... I'd love to hear from other
hams that have experience with similar situations.

73's

Paul - KD5SRL

Old February 24th 04, 06:11 PM
Incognito

Have u seen the eHam Reviews of High Sierra Antennas ??

If not go to URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/12

Over 50 reviews there by users.

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

Old February 27th 04, 11:33 PM
AE6FL-AAM9ECS

Paul,

Think of the nice Ford that you'd have if you put that new honda money into
it.
You'll miss her when she's gone ...

High Sierra antennas are good. Several Army MARS members use 'em and they
sound as good as some of the qth stations on the MARS Nets.

SGD,
Mike ae6fl

Old February 28th 04, 11:55 AM
Paul - KD5SRL

Mike,

I love my F150 4x4 but she's got almost 150,000 miles on her and is
starting to show signs of needing some failrly expensive restoration.
I drive 500 miles per week and though it's highway miles for the most
part, I don't know how reliable she will continue to be.

I'm looking to scale down to a smaller vehicle that I can deck out
with some nice radio gear. The Honda Element has that look that a
couple of nice antennas would drastically improve the appearance.

Thanks for you input. I know the High Sierra will be limited on some
bands. I'm highly considering a Kenwood, TX-B2000. It has all the
whistles and bells for a moble rig. I have a 2000 at home and love it.
I know I'm not going to win a DX contest with it but it's a great all
in one rig, in my humble oppenion.

Thanks Mike Once Again and 73s

Paul - KD5SRL