Old February 28th 04, 08:57 PM
David Browne

Default cobwebb

hi has any one used this ant, will it tune to 40 meters using atu
thanks dave browne

Old March 2nd 04, 08:39 PM
Martin

"David Browne" dddd@ddd wrote in message
hi has any one used this ant, will it tune to 40 meters using atu
thanks dave browne

The aerial is basically a nest of 5 dipoles (one for each
band 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m and 10m) bent round on them
selves in to a square and the feed is through a balan /
matching system it does not have a 40m element.
But you could try tuning it to see what results you get or
extend the spreaders and add you own 40m element.

you could ask the design for advice also - G3TPW
Steve Webb. Do a search and visit the "WEBB" site .... Hi Hi

73 Martin

Old March 10th 04, 08:11 PM
David L Thompson

Are you talking about the antenna from the UK? If so Its 20 to 10 only.
73 Dave K4JRB

Old March 17th 04, 12:00 AM
doc

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:57:15 -0000, "David Browne" dddd@ddd wrote:

hi has any one used this ant, will it tune to 40 meters using atu
thanks dave browne

here is the site
http://www.g3tpw.ukgateway.net/index.html
Old March 17th 04, 01:47 AM
Irv Finkleman

David Browne wrote:

hi has any one used this ant, will it tune to 40 meters using atu
thanks dave browne

An ATU will tune almost anything to any band. How effective this will be
as an antenna is highly debatable. In the absence of anything else, you
can always give it a try on air. Antenna's are very funny things -- you
would sometimes be surprised, especially during good signal conditions at
which times I have successfully loaded up my toolbox while it was lying on
the floor and worked a few stations!

For my first 25 years of hamming I was always in locations where I could not
put up a decent antenna. Using random wires and assorted other antennas, very
few of which could rightly be called 'decent' antennas, I managed to get out
and have a good time on the bands using an ATU and loading anything at hand!

On the other hand, you could always make the cross arms longer and
fit a 40 meter element on it. Another alternative would be to use a loaded
element.

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001

Old March 17th 04, 03:02 AM
Irv Finkleman

Irv Finkleman wrote:....

I should have said Load -- I guess it depends on what you call tuning.

What the ATU does is 'match' the transmitter to the load. It does not
'tune' the load. The term 'tuning' and 'loading' are frequently used
interchangeably in the case of an ATU.

This is not intended to start an infinite thread of debating! :-)

Irv VE6BP

--
--------------------------------------
Old March 17th 04, 07:13 AM
david

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
David Browne wrote:

[...]

Hi all

On the other hand, you could always make the cross arms longer and
fit a 40 meter element on it. Another alternative would be to use a loaded
element.

done that and it works ok, got the necessary bits from Mr Webb.
the whole lot then needs support to each arm to stop the excessive drooping
or it may/will snap, the arms get very.

david