Old March 1st 04, 09:31 PM
Glenn Pavlovic

Default meander line coil

I'm looking for information on how a meander line coil works,
specifically how each of the physical dimensions affects the response.
My interest is the result of my interest in constructing an antenna
like that shown at:

http://www.guerrilla.net/reference/a...r_omni_lowpwr/
802.11 2.4Ghz Low-Power 5dBi Vertical Collinear Antenna

Reading my ARRL antenna book the meander line coil is obviously
functioning as the 1/2 wavelength phasing stub between the collinear
elements, thus the 1/4 wavelength criteria stated in the above page.
My Heathkit "Electronics Learning DIctionary" defines meander line
as:

"A transmission-line matching section the electrical length of which
is dependent on frequency. The characteristics of a meander line are
detirmined primarily by the width of the structure, the spacing
between adjacent turns, and the angle of the line with respect to the
ground plane. If the turns have sufficient separation that there is no
space coupling between adjacent turns, the meander line becomes a
simple length of transmission line."

That's all the information I can find on these things. Everything else
appears to be aimed at using meander lines as antennas. From what I
know that is exactly the thing that I *don't* want this section of the
antenna to do.

So, does anyone know where I can find more information on how this
thing works and what I need to be careful about in constructing them?
Any other pointers or information would be appreciated.

BTW, I have an engineering background (computer engineering), so I'm
not completely clueless. But nand/nor gates didn't teach me a lot
about antennas.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.
Glenn Pavlovic
Old March 2nd 04, 03:29 AM
Richard Harrison

Glenn Pavlovic wrote:
"Any other pointers or information would be appreciated,"

Glenn Miller, I think his square moniker was Alton Gllenn Miller was
born 100 years ago today. He lucked out with a weekly program on radio
for his band. It was "The Chesterfield Supper Club" advertising
cigarettes. His mother was a member in good standing of The Women`s
Christian Temberance Union and an arch enemy of tobacco as well. When
mom met with the other ladies, they chided her about Glenn`s new
sponsor. Mom said that of course nobody should smoke, but if they were
adicted, they should be sure their cigarettes were Chesterfield
cigarettes.

I lived in Portugal for a number of years and traveled several times
across southern Spain to go and return between Lisbon and Seville. I
gained a new respect for the word "meander" after crossing and
recrossing the Rio Meander countless times.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 2nd 04, 05:36 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:29:05 -0600 (CST),

from Glenn to meander... I was wondering how you were going to pull
that one off. ;-)
Old March 2nd 04, 04:56 PM
Richard Harrison

Richard Clark, KB7QHC wrote:
"---from Glenn to meander..."

Pardon the pun. A glen is ia valley. A meander is a river.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI