Old March 5th 04, 02:57 PM
Bill Smith

Default Loop Antenna

Hello All,
I'm putting a loop up on a flat roof. Height will be around 50 ft and the
roof dimensions are 37' x 160'. I'll be using my Icom AH-4 coupler to tune
and will be feeding it in the middle of the north 35' section (160' sections
run east-west). I hope to run all HF bands.

Which direction will be the best as far as gain with the above setup? North?
Would it be better to shorten the loop at all?

73!
Bill - kb3gun

Old March 6th 04, 01:26 AM
KC1DI

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:57:38 -0500, "Bill Smith"
wrote:

Hello All,
I'm putting a loop up on a flat roof. Height will be around 50 ft and the
roof dimensions are 37' x 160'. I'll be using my Icom AH-4 coupler to tune
and will be feeding it in the middle of the north 35' section (160' sections
run east-west). I hope to run all HF bands.

Which direction will be the best as far as gain with the above setup? North?
Would it be better to shorten the loop at all?

73!
Bill - kb3gun

Should be a great all band antenna Bill, I use a 520' horizontal loop
here that is only at 35' it work all HF Bands just fine.. the higher
in frequency you go the lower the radiation angle becomes only draw
back is that on the higher bands it will develop some pretty deep
nulls also.. I'd put up a vertical or 44' dipole with open wire if i
could as a second antenna on those bands.. but still even with the
deep nulls in the pattern it works great, DXCC qrp here to prove it.

73 Dave kc1di happy hamming

Old March 6th 04, 04:16 AM
Cecil Moore

Ed Price wrote:
Well, four corners on your square loop, each corner 50 feet above ground;
sounds like a horizontal plane loop. And that close to ground on HF, the
maximum lobe is pretty close to straight up.

True for the one wavelength frequency. But a 75m horizontal loop has
a gain in excess of 10 dBi with a take-off-angle of 10 deg on 10m
according to EZNEC.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 6th 04, 03:43 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Bill

My father's home is of hip roof construction, with most of the
guttering being around 14 to 18 feet from the ground. After
insulating the downspouts from the continuous guttering and installing
aluminum strapping between the seamless sections at the corners we had
a wonderfully working loop skywire.
Because of it's close proximity to the ground it should not have
worked as well as it did. But in more cases than not, it outperformed
a wire loop skywire up 30 feet at my home.
The bandwidth at each tuned point was also much wider on the gutters
than on a wire.
Although dad's house was technically in hole, it sat on a tall mound
within that hole, so that roughly 20 feet away from the house itself,
the height of the gutters would have been closer to 25 feet.

TTUL
Gary

Old March 6th 04, 05:05 PM
Trace Klassen

Load it up. I have found loops to have performed pretty well on HF. Now...
not as well as a beam but still a fine performer. As far as lobes go, you
will get different lobes for each band. There should be information out
there on the net about that. However I would not use a AH4 ...rather feed it
with coax to a coax fed tuner and you will do very well.

73 de VE7RZ