Old March 5th 04, 07:17 PM
peter dingemans

Default LOG-PER: PCB-layout of LOG-PER by WA5VJB ?

G'day everyone,

(first post on this group)

Awhile ago, I came across a log-periodic antenna (sold by Ramsey
Electronics) for the UHF-range (900-2600 MHz). It was a PCB, with the
shape of a log-per etched in copper. The design was by WA5VJB (Kent
Britain, judging from the 'hits' on google ?)

Anyway, I'm planning on building such an antenna, but can't seem to
find the pcb-layout. Is this because it's 'proprietary' ? (at least
many other Ramsey products are public, like their Doppler RDF, which
is exactly as described in QST).

So, does anyone have a PCB layout for these antenna's (there are 2
designs, for different freq.ranges)? Or, if they're on the net, does
anyone know where? I can't seem to find them...

(or, has anyone built one/bought one, and is it worth the trouble of
making one? Gain of a log-per isn't very high, and a Dipole is quickly
made...)

73,

Peter Dingemans,
The Netherlands.
Old March 6th 04, 02:31 PM
Fractenna

[...]

Hi Peter,

The layout is a standard LPDA with a shorting stub. The stub is a via with a
2mm half loop: this prevents the back elements from being resonant at the
higher freqs.

His son Kyle sells them on e-bay at a very reasonable price. Not hard to find.
Cheaper than you can make'em:-)

73,
Chip N1IR
Old March 9th 04, 02:56 PM
peter dingemans

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I've contacted Kent Britain (WA5VJB) and he sent the PCB-layout, so I
can etch my own. I realise that the price for which they are sold is
low, in fact, uneconomical to 'roll your own'. However, it's an
'honour' thing Seriously, I like making the stuff myself, even when
it would be more rational to buy... (let's just say that the answer to
the 'make or buy' decision is 'biased' towards make.)

Glad to hear from other people that they're satisfied with the
antenna.

Grtz,

Peter Dingemans.