Old March 8th 04, 09:15 PM
Richard Harrison

Default Power Converter

Off topic, but you can`t power an antenna without power to the
transmitter.

I`m looking for a d-c to d-c converter that takes 28 volts on the input
and supplies 12 volts on the output. Up to 8 amperes may regularly be
drawn from the supply. That`s about 100 watts.

I need it now. That`s why I`m imposing on this group. There is no more
knowledgeable group to ask that I know of. I don`t have time to build
anything, though I`ve built such inverters and converters.

A simple voltage divider or regulator is too lossy for high utilization.
I need lossless resistance.

Maybe there is an applicable aircraft converter that is surplus
somewhere, or maybe there is a stock automotive item as there are such
28-volt battery systems used in some big rigs. I`m in a hurry or I would
quietly do all the hunting myself and not bother anybody.

I would like rugged, reliable, efficient, replaceable, and cheap.

Thank you in advance for directions to the source of my d-c step-down
transformer.

Please excuse the misuse of this forum, but I believe it is my best
resource for most things technical and unusual.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 8th 04, 10:23 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Richard Harrison wrote:

Off topic, but you can`t power an antenna without power to the
transmitter.

I`m looking for a d-c to d-c converter that takes 28 volts on the input
and supplies 12 volts on the output. Up to 8 amperes may regularly be
drawn from the supply. That`s about 100 watts.

I need it now. That`s why I`m imposing on this group. There is no more
knowledgeable group to ask that I know of. I don`t have time to build
anything, though I`ve built such inverters and converters.

Check with Vicor (www.vicr.com). They make a whole range of DC-to-DC
converter modules.

Example: their V24B12C200B converter module takes 18-36 volts in, 12
volts out (programmable from 10% to 11% of this, so you could get 13.2
out), efficiency 85%, 200 watts output. Current limit is 17 amps
minimum, 19.2 amps typical.

They do have a 100-watt module, but I suspect you'd be running it
right at the ragged edge of its specs.

There are other manufacturers playing in this market space... Datel is
one.

A simple voltage divider or regulator is too lossy for high utilization.
I need lossless resistance.

You won't get 100% efficiency out of anything like this. 80-90% seems
to be achievable with commercial products.

I would like rugged, reliable, efficient, replaceable, and cheap.

I think you can get the first four if you look around.

The fifth is likely to be the hardest, if you want the first four.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old March 9th 04, 12:12 AM
Allan Butler

Richard,

try looking at http://www.astroncorp.com

They have two different converters like you are looking for.

Old March 9th 04, 01:02 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
Richard Harrison wrote:

Off topic, but you can`t power an antenna without power to the
transmitter.

I`m looking for a d-c to d-c converter that takes 28 volts on the input
and supplies 12 volts on the output. Up to 8 amperes may regularly be
drawn from the supply. That`s about 100 watts.

I need it now. That`s why I`m imposing on this group. There is no more
knowledgeable group to ask that I know of. I don`t have time to build
anything, though I`ve built such inverters and converters.

Check with Vicor (www.vicr.com). They make a whole range of DC-to-DC
converter modules.

Example: their V24B12C200B converter module takes 18-36 volts in, 12
volts out (programmable from 10% to 11% of this, so you could get 13.2
out), efficiency 85%, 200 watts output. Current limit is 17 amps
minimum, 19.2 amps typical.

I suspect, since 'up to 8 amperes may be drawn', that
he'll have a hard time meeting the '17 amps minimum'
spec...
__
Steve
KI5YG
..

Old March 9th 04, 01:21 AM
Dave Platt

In article om,
Stephen Cowell wrote:

Example: their V24B12C200B converter module takes 18-36 volts in, 12
volts out (programmable from 10% to 11% of this, so you could get 13.2
out), efficiency 85%, 200 watts output. Current limit is 17 amps
minimum, 19.2 amps typical.

I suspect, since 'up to 8 amperes may be drawn', that
he'll have a hard time meeting the '17 amps minimum'
spec...

Sorry, I was unclear. What the phraseology means is "The converter's
maximum current output is limited to a value which might, in some
cases, be as low as 17 amperes, but is typically around 19.2 amperes."

I didn't mean to imply that you _must_ draw 17 amperes from the
converter in order for it to work. There doesn't appear to be a
significant lower limit - load reguulation is given as 0.2% typical
"no load to full load, nominal input" as long as you haven't trimmed
the converter to a lower output voltage.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old March 9th 04, 07:35 AM
nick smith

Sorry, I was unclear. What the phraseology means is "The converter's
maximum current output is limited to a value which might, in some
cases, be as low as 17 amperes, but is typically around 19.2 amperes."

I didn't mean to imply that you _must_ draw 17 amperes from the
converter in order for it to work. There doesn't appear to be a
significant lower limit - load reguulation is given as 0.2% typical
"no load to full load, nominal input" as long as you haven't trimmed
the converter to a lower output voltage.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Dave,

Even though you may have been unclear, REAL radio amateurs knew
exactly what you meant - ignore wise-ass comments from those trying to be
a bit more clever than others - it illustrates various weaknesses .....

Nick

Old March 9th 04, 01:38 PM
Stephen Cowell

"nick smith" wrote in message
Sorry, I was unclear. What the phraseology means is "The converter's
maximum current output is limited to a value which might, in some
cases, be as low as 17 amperes, but is typically around 19.2 amperes."

I didn't mean to imply that you _must_ draw 17 amperes from the
converter in order for it to work. There doesn't appear to be a
significant lower limit - load reguulation is given as 0.2% typical
"no load to full load, nominal input" as long as you haven't trimmed
the converter to a lower output voltage.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Dave,

Even though you may have been unclear, REAL radio amateurs knew
exactly what you meant - ignore wise-ass comments from those trying to be
a bit more clever than others - it illustrates various weaknesses .....

Hey Nick... chupe' mis huevos. It was *not* clear, and Dave
knew it, and copped to it.
__
Steve
KI5YG
..

Old March 9th 04, 02:26 PM
Tam/WB2TT

Richard,

Assuming there is a common ground, and input and output are the same
polarity, what you want is called a buck converter. To roll your own,
National and TI make chips. To buy a whole unit you need to go to a non
hobby distributor's web site like Newark, Allied, Avnet, or Arrow. Some
manufacturers of these things are Astec, Condor, Cosell, Elpac, and
Lambda(expensive).

Tam/WB2TT

Complex Z0 [Corrected] pez Antenna 41 September 11th 03 05:00 PM
Derivation of the Reflection Coefficient? Dr. Slick Antenna 104 September 6th 03 02:27 AM
The Cecilian Gambit, a variation on the Galilean Defense revisited Richard Clark Antenna 11 July 24th 03 07:30 PM