LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 14th 04, 05:28 PM
Mark Atanovich

Default Stacking antennas

Greetings,
I currently have a Channel Master 4248 UHF antenna and Winegard AP8700 (selectable FM
trap) preamp mounted on a 20 ft. mast. I'd like to add an FM antenna (I'm looking at
an Antennacraft FM6), hopefully using the same tower, but knowing enough to know I
don't know anything have some questions of questions about this arrangement.

1) I know there are rules of thumb about spacing/stacking antennas, but what are the
basic interactions that take place between different antennas that at least to my
understanding, are pretty much tuned for mutually exclusive frequencies?

2) Are there certain frequencies that are more likely to be negatively affected by
this arrangement? I'm most worried about a DTV station broadcasting on UHF channel
56 (~750 MHz) that I sometimes have trouble receiving depending on atmospheric
conditions.

3) Would it be OK to combine the signals prior to the preamp or should I simply avoid
any potential phasing problems and engage the FM trap on the preamp and hook up the
FM antenna downstream? I've got about a 100' of RG6 between the antennas and my
equipment so it seems the loss in the 100 MHz range should be negligible.

Any help understanding this better would be greatly appreciated.

Mark