Old March 14th 04, 11:43 PM
thatcher

Default DFing info wanted

I bought a ELK log periodic dual band antenna. VHF/UHF 5 elements.

What are some good DFing techniques?

How much distance should be between my body and the antenna?

This ELK antenna is fed near the reflector. Whats up with that?

It says it has 20 db of front to back but I sure can't see too much
difference while pointing and not pointing at repeaters.

Where is a good place to get attenutors.

Should I have bought a different antenna for DFing?
Old March 15th 04, 11:46 AM
Dave

"thatcher" wrote in message
I bought a ELK log periodic dual band antenna. VHF/UHF 5 elements.

What are some good DFing techniques?

follow the signal

How much distance should be between my body and the antenna?

as much as you can get

This ELK antenna is fed near the reflector. Whats up with that?

a log periodic doesn't have a 'reflector' as such. every element is fed.

It says it has 20 db of front to back but I sure can't see too much
difference while pointing and not pointing at repeaters.

it will depend a lot on what is around you , the frequency, polarization,
etc. it is likely that if you are not careful you will measure lots of
reflections, especially if you have a strong source that is probably at a
high location.

Where is a good place to get attenutors.

a radio store.

Should I have bought a different antenna for DFing?

depends on what you want to df.

Old March 16th 04, 04:59 AM
Ray Gaschk

Thatcher,

You found the right guy, I designed that antenna.

Remember, this is a log periodic antenna, all elements are active at all
times. There is no one elment used for feeding the antenna. The support
booms form a 50 ohm feedline and when transmitting, RF travels from the
connector to the elements closest to resonance. When transmitting on the low
end of the 2M band the longest elements carry the most current, and when
transmitting on the high end of the band the shorter elements are most
active, but all elements contribute to the performance at all frequencies..

Many people use them for DFing, and find them easy to use because of their
small size and relatively high gain and directivity.

If you are new to DFing, you may be overdriving your receiver, so it is
important to learn as much as possible about DFing techniques. Reduce the
signal to the receiver
by the use of attenuators, but best is to take a class in DFing and read and
discuss techniques with your fellow Hams. When in a high signal strength
environment, some receivers perform poorly because of inadequate shielding.
The signal bypasses the RF connector and enters the receiver by way of the
component board.

I received a request for information on how to handle the antenna, and will
take some pictures and send them to you and the other owner.

If you are not satisfied with the antenna for any reason, it is waranteed,
we will buy it back from you.

I will try to help you use the antenna for DFing, please ask more questions,
anything you are not clear about, just ask. There is a Ham living West of
our location who uses our antennas in his class on DFing, and if you would
like I
can ask his permission to give you his e-mail address and you can
communicate with him directly.

Best wishes de ray, w6fya for Elk Antennas

If you are going to use it
"thatcher" wrote in message
I bought a ELK log periodic dual band antenna. VHF/UHF 5 elements.

What are some good DFing techniques?

How much distance should be between my body and the antenna?

This ELK antenna is fed near the reflector. Whats up with that?

It says it has 20 db of front to back but I sure can't see too much
difference while pointing and not pointing at repeaters.

Where is a good place to get attenutors.

Should I have bought a different antenna for DFing?

INFO WANTED on Vertical Dipole Antennas Bill Hansen Antenna 0 February 22nd 04 11:08 PM
info. Wanted on ft-901dm lee Antenna 0 December 21st 03 03:15 AM
Gotham Antenna info needed Keyboard In The Wilderness Antenna 4 December 5th 03 04:09 PM
Vee Beam info needed W5DXP Antenna 5 August 6th 03 07:39 AM
Wanted: SWAN Mobile Antenna Info Norm VE3CZI Antenna 4 July 18th 03 10:44 PM