Old March 16th 04, 02:43 PM
R. Scott

Default What do you seal your Antenna leads with outdoors

I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?
--
Rick N7HJ
Everett, Washington
Old March 16th 04, 03:38 PM
Dev Null

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:43:22 GMT, R. Scott hath writ:
I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

And, it never occured to you that Google Has The Answer in this group?
Old March 16th 04, 04:01 PM
Bob Miller

wrote:

I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

GE silicon Kitchen & Bath sealant from the hardware store.

Bob
k5qwg

Old March 16th 04, 04:02 PM
gwatts

Dev Null wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:43:22 GMT, R. Scott hath writ:

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

And, it never occured to you that Google Has The Answer in this group?

Heaven forbid we actually start a discussion by asking each other questions.

-W8LNA

Old March 16th 04, 04:44 PM
Eskay

wrote:

I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

GE silicon Kitchen & Bath sealant from the hardware store.

Bob
k5qwg

Not considered a good choice,If it smells of vineger then I would stay away
from it.There are better choices, consult a Ham Antenna book.
Eskay,,VE3JUA.

Old March 16th 04, 04:50 PM
R. Scott

And, it never occured to you that Google Has The Answer in this group?

I can google all day, but what fun would that be. Its always nice to
chat with hams once in a while. And there is a big difference in
Looking up information and asking people what they use. That way
you get first hand what has and hasnt worked. Also googling might
bring up old information, where someone who has found something new but
has not posted.

Climb out from under your bridge. See the sunshine, smile, greet people
you might find it does a world of good for your disposition. Which
right
now seems closer to billy goat gruff than homosapein.

--
Rick
Everett, Washington
Old March 16th 04, 04:51 PM
R. Scott

GE silicon Kitchen & Bath sealant from the hardware store.

Bob
k5qwg

I had never thought of using that, seems like some good stuff. How
about
corrosive properties? Is there any? I know the old RTV we had in the
Navy was quite popular too, but found to be corrosive later.

Thanks
--
Rick N7HJ
Everett, Washington
Old March 16th 04, 07:17 PM
Roger Halstead

wrote:

I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

I use liquid electrical tape.

I also use flooded heat shrink tubing for a really good seal where
applicable.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 16th 04, 07:18 PM
John Smith

Most all the RTVs have an acid in them, GE makes one that is safe for
electronics, no acid.

Best stuff is that black tar like stuff that comes with a paper backing that
comes with
the bigger connectors called Vapor Wrap by Decibel Products. Put on over the
entire connector and part of the coax,
then tape it up and black tie wraps to keep the tape on. Good for 10+ years.
It is what the Commercial guys use.

Old March 16th 04, 08:29 PM
R. Scott

Best stuff is that black tar like stuff that comes with a paper backing that
comes with
the bigger connectors called Vapor Wrap by Decibel Products. Put on over the
entire connector and part of the coax,
then tape it up and black tie wraps to keep the tape on. Good for 10+ years.
It is what the Commercial guys use.

Where might i find it, No local ham stores around here anymore? Is it
available elsewhere.

Thanks

Rick N7HJ