Old March 19th 04, 04:46 PM
Dick, AA5VU

Default Flakey Ham IV Indicator

I am having fits with my old Ham IV control head readings. The controls
(CCW and CW) work but the meter is flakey. I tried the Cal procedure int
he manual but that does not seem to work.

Regarding the manual is is useless on the purpose of the Calibrate
control. I know it has an IN and OUT position and should be used to set
the meter in the full CW postion.

What is the 'In' position and what is the 'Out' position?

It does not seem to have a great deal of control over the needle. The
needles seem to like staying in the far right South postion.

Help!

Dick - AA5VU
Old March 19th 04, 04:56 PM
aRKay

I just noticed that by cycling the Calibrate switch On/Off the meter
sometimes jumps to the 'correct' location. It stays a few seconds then
fall back to the right.

Maybe someone has seen this before????

Dick - AA5VU

In article
,

Old March 19th 04, 05:24 PM
Dave

the 'in' position is the calibration position. you press it in, turn the
knob to set the needle to the right side south stop, then release the
button. some models had a knob that locked in the 'in' position so you
pressed it in and released it to engage the calibrate circuit then pressed
again and released to turn it off.

Old March 19th 04, 05:43 PM
aRKay

Dave,

I pushed it IN then out and it snapped toe the antenna location then
fell back to South. I messed with Cal switch and every once in a while
it would snap back to the corret psition... then fall back to South.

Something is wrong

Dick - AA5VU

Old March 19th 04, 11:42 PM
gwatts

aRKay wrote:
Dave,

I pushed it IN then out and it snapped toe the antenna location then
fell back to South. I messed with Cal switch and every once in a while
it would snap back to the corret psition... then fall back to South.

Something is wrong

....with the cal switch, probably. Possibly dirty contacts, try cycling
the switch a dozen or so times, see if that helps. It might need a drop
(and I mean just A DROP) of contact cleaner, after which cycle the
switch a few times. The switch might need to be replaced.

Any other mechanical contacts, like the fuse (holder) mentioned? Are
all the screws holding the wires nice and tight? Any broken wires?

Good Luck,
-W8LNA

Old March 20th 04, 02:24 AM
Irv Finkleman

"Dick, AA5VU" wrote:

I am having fits with my old Ham IV control head readings. The controls
(CCW and CW) work but the meter is flakey. I tried the Cal procedure int
he manual but that does not seem to work.

Regarding the manual is is useless on the purpose of the Calibrate
control. I know it has an IN and OUT position and should be used to set
the meter in the full CW postion.

What is the 'In' position and what is the 'Out' position?

It does not seem to have a great deal of control over the needle. The
needles seem to like staying in the far right South postion.

Help!

Dick - AA5VU

There is a wirewound pot in the rotator unit which tends to get dirty
and can lead to erratic readings as well. You can clean it pretty well
with a little very fine grit paper, or contact cleaner. It is this
pot which tells the meter which direction the antenna is pointing. I
also saw one which opened up at one end and had to be replaced. That
way way back when, but you should be able to order the part. Replacement
is easy. If you do replace it, give it a little spray of contact
cleaner before reassembling the rotor unit.

Hope this helps...

Irv VE6BP

--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old March 20th 04, 12:54 PM
Richard Heindel

You can still buy rotors and parts he http://www.rotorservice.com/
Norm is a real good guy to do business with.

73 Richard WB8KRN

Old March 21st 04, 11:00 AM
Dick, AA5VU

Thanks to Irv and others that responded. I plan to remove the Control
Unit from the rats nest on Monday and try spraying the Calibration pot.

I still do not understand the function of the Calibration control? It
is a push in/out (maybe for on/off) and trim pot for setting the meter.
It has very little control over the needle. At best it does a few
degrees to help zero in on South.

Irv, where is the wireround pot you mentioned?

Thanks again to all that responded.

Dick - AA5VU

Old March 21st 04, 04:58 PM
Irv Finkleman

"Dick, AA5VU" wrote:

Thanks to Irv and others that responded. I plan to remove the Control
Unit from the rats nest on Monday and try spraying the Calibration pot.

I still do not understand the function of the Calibration control? It
is a push in/out (maybe for on/off) and trim pot for setting the meter.
It has very little control over the needle. At best it does a few
degrees to help zero in on South.

Irv, where is the wireround pot you mentioned?

Thanks again to all that responded.

Dick - AA5VU

Dick, the pot I refer to is in the Rotor -- not the control unit. It is
not the calibration control pot which is in the control unit, but rather
the pot in the rotor itself. If you open the rotor, you can't miss it,
it is at the highest point and has a large copper wiper arm. Still, it
wouldn't hurt to spray the calibration pot just in case although I have
never heard of any problems with that particular pot.

I presume you have a manual -- if you look at the interconnection between
the control unit and the rotor unit you will see how the pot in the
rotor sends the position down to the control unit.

When you open the rotor, be very careful as there is a large bearing
with balls about 3/8 inch diameter some of which may fall out. They are
easy to set in place, but if you are working in an area where they can
roll off the workbench into awkward places -- which Murphy's Law says
they will -- the job is more difficult.

Also note the relative position of things because incorrect assembly of
the mechanical linkage between top and bottom will result in big problems.
If you are reasonably mechanically adept, you shouldn't have any
problem.

You might even consider asking around among the local hams -- there are
probably a few who have already been inside one and would be willing
to share their expertise.

Once you have fixed things up you will find the calibration control has
considerable control over the meter setting.

I hope this helps!

Irv VE6BP

--