Old March 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
bunnydawg

Default Propagation

Sometimes the only reason i open my mouth is to change feet but here goes.
What measurement is indicitive of good propagation.
Solar Flux level or Solar storm activity ( i think it's called)
May sunspots which might be solar flux. Heck i'm confused. I guess what
i'm looking for is a simple answer to what is to me a complex thing. Years
ago when i first go my license propagation wasn't a question because it was
always good. Now i need to know when it's good and i'm unsure what i should
me looking for.
Robert
VE3 something or other.

Old March 23rd 04, 07:54 AM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:01:28 -0500, "bunnydawg"
wrote:

Sometimes the only reason i open my mouth is to change feet but here goes.
What measurement is indicitive of good propagation.
Solar Flux level or Solar storm activity ( i think it's called)
May sunspots which might be solar flux. Heck i'm confused. I guess what
i'm looking for is a simple answer to what is to me a complex thing. Years
ago when i first go my license propagation wasn't a question because it was
always good. Now i need to know when it's good and i'm unsure what i should
me looking for.
Robert
VE3 something or other.

Hi Robert,

Throw your call out and count returns. Far faster than looking it up
on the net. As there is nothing you can do about the Sun, knowing
does not particularly mean knowledge - after all, what choice do you
have?. When people read the numbers and interpret them as bad, they
are often confounded to learn the ignorant simply made contacts in
spite of this sophistry.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 23rd 04, 11:05 AM
bunnydawg

Good point. I'm always amazed when i do a cq on a "dead" band and get some
exotic dx.
Just back into the hobby thanks to a donation from a really nice ham in the
states and glad i did. Didn't know what i was missing till i got back on.
Robert
VE3 something or other

Old March 23rd 04, 02:22 PM
Crazy George

Another point which is largely lost on non-professional users of the HF
spectrum. Good propagation means entirely different things for the
professional user as compared to ham expectations. In fact, the two are
often exactly opposite. The ham wants to work exotic DX, which often occurs
when 'normal' propagation is interrupted, and the professional user is
disaccomodated.
--
Crazy George
Both ham and professional HF user.
. ..

Old March 23rd 04, 10:53 PM
mefazamy

Dear Jerry,

Jerry,

In January I had a similar question about propagation, sunspots etc.
So I reread "Understanding Solar Indices" by Ian Poole, G3YWX in Sept.
'02 QST.

Then I found on ARRL's website, "The Sun, the Earth, the Ionosphe
What the Numbers Mean ..." by Carl Luetzelschwab, K9LA
(http://www.remote.arrl.org/tis/info/k9la-prop.html).

Also on ARRL's website is K7RA's weekly solar updates.

Lastly, "SEC Geophysical Alert Description"
(http://www.sc.noaa.gov/Data/info/WWVdoc.html)

These sources just scratch the surface when it comes to explaining
propagation. However, reading these things through a couple of times
can get you a basic understanding about what this fascinating subject
is about.

73,
KB2AMY
Old March 24th 04, 01:28 AM
bunnydawg

I guess that wasn't for me but i peeked anyways. Thanks for the links.
Robert
VE3 something or other