Old March 26th 04, 04:44 AM
Dick, AA5VU

Default Flakey Ham IV Control Unit F-I-X-E-D !!

First, I want to thank everyone that responded to my posting regarding
the flakey meter that seemed to have a mind of it own with the needle
dropping to the South (full right) side.

I pulled the cover tonight and put some tissue around to absorb the over
spray. I then sprayed-the-hell out Calibration pot with Radio Shack
contact cleaner and gave it a real work out with the power OFF. After it
was dry, I turned on the power and the needle for the first time in two
months showed the location of the beam. Yea! I no longer have to go
outside with a flashlight to see where the beam is pointed.

The above is the good new and what I thought was the problem. When i
replaced the cover and pushed on the top, the needle dropped back to
South. Pulled the cover and the problem was the with the reflective tape
I installed several months ago to help with a luminescence issue with
the 28 volt lamp. (This was another long shaggy dog story about a 12
volt bulb burning a hole in the plastic meter case that had to be
replaced). The fix was easy to just remove part of the reflective tape
that was touching the lamp solder joint. Replaced the cover with a thin
1/4" strip of reflective tape on the edge by the lamp. Something tells
me this may have been most of the problem.

The rotor and control unit are now working FB.

Dick - AA5VU