Old March 26th 04, 10:55 PM
Joseph Fenn

Default coax antennas

Way back in the '50's they had some kind of a coax antenna that
consisted of two sections of coax a 1/4 wavlength long, flatop
but cant remember how it was fed by another rg8u section.
I think the radiating part of the coax had the center conductor
running straight thru from end to end, but the shielding only
was carefully severed at the middle of the line and the feed line
was then connected to the severed sheilds. Am not sure now
as my memory is hazy this late in the game, but that Antenna
did produce an outstanding signal on the freqcy it was cut for.
Joe/kh6jf

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *

Old March 26th 04, 11:58 PM
Jesse

"Joseph Fenn" wrote in message
va.net...
Way back in the '50's they had some kind of a coax antenna that
consisted of two sections of coax a 1/4 wavlength long, flatop
but cant remember how it was fed by another rg8u section.
I think the radiating part of the coax had the center conductor
running straight thru from end to end, but the shielding only
was carefully severed at the middle of the line and the feed line
was then connected to the severed sheilds. Am not sure now
as my memory is hazy this late in the game, but that Antenna
did produce an outstanding signal on the freqcy it was cut for.
Joe/kh6jf

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *

The antenna was called a "Bazooka". It was claimed to have 10db gain over
a dipole, with much less QRN pickup. In reality, it had less gain than a
standard dipole at the same height, and of course,
less QRN pickup.
73, Jesse
W6KKT

Old March 27th 04, 01:48 AM
Joseph Fenn

Thanks Jesse yep thats the one all right! A fellow about a mile
from me had one setup in 1952 and he used a Johnson Viking Desk
type 500w rig. I had a 3 el beam cut for 21 mhz and darned if he
did'nt just about run neck and neck with me on signal reports.
I was useing the old Globe King 500 watt job at the time.