Old March 28th 04, 06:33 AM
Dustin

Default RG-58 compared to RG-174

Hello, I am going to be making some adaptor harnesses for my HT, they are
going to have a PL-259 on one end and a SMA male end on the other, my
question is are the center conductor's inside the RG-58 and RG-174 the same
diameter because I see all the jumper harness's that are available
commercially made of RG-174, but when I see DIY pages they are made of
RG-58, and I just want to make sure. I read that RG-58 has alot less loss
and is cheaper. Thanks

Old March 28th 04, 06:43 AM
Jeremy Salch

Dustin wrote:

Hello, I am going to be making some adaptor harnesses for my HT, they are
going to have a PL-259 on one end and a SMA male end on the other, my
question is are the center conductor's inside the RG-58 and RG-174 the

same
diameter because I see all the jumper harness's that are available
commercially made of RG-174, but when I see DIY pages they are made of
RG-58, and I just want to make sure. I read that RG-58 has alot less loss
and is cheaper. Thanks

rg-58 is cheaper.. bigger and has less loss

--
Registered Linux User #346565

Old March 28th 04, 04:43 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Dustin" wrote in message
Hello, I am going to be making some adaptor harnesses for my HT, they are
going to have a PL-259 on one end and a SMA male end on the other, my
question is are the center conductor's inside the RG-58 and RG-174 the

same
diameter because I see all the jumper harness's that are available
commercially made of RG-174, but when I see DIY pages they are made of
RG-58, and I just want to make sure. I read that RG-58 has alot less loss
and is cheaper. Thanks

As the impedance is determined by the ratio of the outer conductor to the
center conductor (for the same insulation between them) the 174 has to have
a smaller center conductor than the 58. RG-58 does have more loss but for
less than 5 feet on two meters I doubt that you will notice it. Probably
not even on 440 mhz . If using the RG-58 try to find some with a stranded
center conductor as much of it seems to be solid wire.

Old March 28th 04, 05:20 PM
Dave Platt

Hello, I am going to be making some adaptor harnesses for my HT, they are
going to have a PL-259 on one end and a SMA male end on the other, my
question is are the center conductor's inside the RG-58 and RG-174 the same
diameter because I see all the jumper harness's that are available
commercially made of RG-174, but when I see DIY pages they are made of
RG-58, and I just want to make sure. I read that RG-58 has alot less loss
and is cheaper. Thanks

RG-58 has lower loss than RG-174, because RG-58's center conductor is
larger in diameter than RG-174s. You'll need to buy SMA connectors
which are specifically designed for RG-58 - this cable won't fit into
an SMA connector made for RG-174.

Because of its larger diameter, it's also likely to be stiffer than
RG-174. This means that it could put more stress on the HT's SMA
socket, if the harness is pulled or pushed sideways.

The lower loss in RG-58 isn't likely to make a significant amount of
difference for a short harness, at least not at 2-meter frequencies.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old March 28th 04, 07:03 PM
Jim Weir

Use RG-174. Finding an inexpensive SMA connector for RG-58 is difficult.

Jim

"Dustin"

-Hello, I am going to be making some adaptor harnesses for my HT, they are
-going to have a PL-259 on one end and a SMA male end on the other, my
-question is are the center conductor's inside the RG-58 and RG-174 the same
-diameter because I see all the jumper harness's that are available
-commercially made of RG-174, but when I see DIY pages they are made of
-RG-58, and I just want to make sure. I read that RG-58 has alot less loss
-and is cheaper. Thanks
-
-

Jim Weir, VP Eng. RST Eng. WX6RST
A&P, CFI, and other good alphabet soup

Old March 28th 04, 07:04 PM
Jim Weir

Why would you do that? Solid has less loss. If you are worried about it
flexing too much and work-hardening (or breaking) the center conductor, use a
strain relief of shrink sleeving at both ends.

Jim

"Ralph Mowery"

Old March 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Dave Platt

Why would you do that? Solid has less loss. If you are worried about it
flexing too much and work-hardening (or breaking) the center conductor, use a
strain relief of shrink sleeving at both ends.

To my mind, the stiffer the cable, the more stress it's going to put
on the HT's SMA jack. Stiffening the cable via heatshrink tubing is
only going to make this worse, by increasing the moment arm.

SMA jacks on some HTs (e.g. the VX-5) are rather notorious for working
loose, even under the modest stress and strain of a rubber-duck
antenna. IMHO, SMA is a fine connector for intra-cabinet connections
and fixed-station applications, but it's less than ideal for antenna
connections on handhelds.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old March 28th 04, 07:48 PM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:39:58 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
then the wire will work harden and break

Copper?
Old March 28th 04, 07:55 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Richard Clark wrote:

then the wire will work harden and break

Copper?

That's my experience, and a few minutes of Google-searching the Web
comes up with numerous references stating that copper does suffer from
work hardening after cold-deformation. The extent depends on the
purity of the copper and on what other metals it has been alloyed
with. [Lead is apparently one of the few metals not subject to work
hardening.]

This process can be reversed by annealing, but that's a bit tricky to
do if the copper is already part of a coaxial cable :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO