Old March 29th 04, 12:00 AM
Joseph Fenn

Default artificial ground

I remember that some types of military vehicles with radioes and useing
whip antennas had a so called "artificial" gnd thing that they threw
out on the surounging area of the vehicle that greatly enhanced
their signal coverage from the whip. I think MFJ made one of those
at one rimw or another too! Would this type gnd be of any benefit
if I am useing inverted dipoles (mostly vertical polarized). I mean
a 40' mast at the center and dual dipoles slopeing down about a 40
degree angle to the end tie points. I do use an all band tuner
(manually tuned) also to keep swr flat. Any Ideas ??
Kokomo Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *

Old March 29th 04, 12:28 AM
JGBOYLES

I remember that some types of military vehicles with radioes and useing
whip antennas had a so called "artificial" gnd
I think MFJ made one of those
at one rimw or another too! Would this type gnd be of any benefit
if I am useing inverted dipoles (mostly vertical polarized).

Probably not. Your inverted dipole should be very nearly balanced. A
balanced antenna system would not benefit from an artificial ground. You might
consider a 1:1 balun to prevent feedline radiation, and to preserve system
balance.
Artficial grounds are actually part of the antenna, and are useful when there
is a severe imbalance in the system. Also when there is a significant amount
of "rf in the shack", which is what you get with imbalance. The artificial
ground attempts to put your rig chassis at rf ground, and no rf in the shack.
How well they work, that is another thread.

73 Gary N4AST
Old March 29th 04, 01:23 AM
K9SQG

The MFJ Artificial Ground only works to "reduce rf" at the station and the
associated problems. Except for very specialized cases, it will have no
improvement on the radiated signal.

73s,

Evan