Old March 29th 04, 11:02 AM
loopfan

Default Major error found in my small coax loops

Major Goof on my part:

If anyone has built a coax-loop from my instructions at:

http://www.greertech.com/hfloop/mymagloop.html

I must offer my apologies if you have taken into account the velocity
factor of the coax as I indicated.

Thanks to everyone's help here, and with my own clamp-on ferrite choke
test, I satisfied myself that the outer-braid skin is really functioning
as the antenna element. I didn't follow through however by removing
references to calculating in velocity factors.

I did a search for "common mode velocity factor" in this newsgroup and
found that the common-mode, which I am purposely using with the loop
arms, is not subject to major velocity factor issues. Only the inner
differential mode is.

So what you probably have is really a much smaller loop than 0.10
wavelength.

I should have caught this when my wire loop project lengths almost
doubled the coaxial loop lengths, but in the back of my mind I assumed
that it was due to being shortened by the velocity factor of around 0.66.

I can hear my electronics teachers telling me now what the real meaning
of the word "assumed" means all over again!

I guess it's true that the more I learn, the less I know ...

I'll try to clean up that project website mess asap ...

73 de WN6F