Old March 30th 04, 11:15 AM
gonzo

Default Digital MiltiLevel Modulations - Question

hi,

Can Anyone tell me what are advantage and disadvantage of using this kind of
modulation in radio transmition.
I will be gratefull for any help.
Thanks and greet from Poland

Gonzo

Old March 30th 04, 03:28 PM
John Smith

Top level--

More bytes through narrow pipe, Faster Data over wireless , more bits sent
per unit time

disadvantages - requires more signal to noise ratio as the number of levels
increases
going from 2 PSK to 16 PSK is a factor of 8 times faster data, but about 6
to 9 dB more signal is required
that is higher transmitter power and/or better receivers (more complexity
and cost)
Similar for most other types of digital modulation too.

Old March 30th 04, 05:57 PM
Tom Bruhns

"gonzo" wrote in message ...
hi,

Can Anyone tell me what are advantage and disadvantage of using this kind of
modulation in radio transmition.
I will be gratefull for any help.
Thanks and greet from Poland

Hi Gonzo,

Probably better to post in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew on this one, if
you have access to that group.

Key advantage: you can communicate more information in less (lower?)
bandwidth. Key disadvantages: you need generally a little "cleaner"
path (it's more suseptable to interference) and/or the encoding and
decoding is more complicated.

Cheers,
Tom