Old April 18th 04, 09:06 AM
Daniel J. Morlan

Default Best antenna for an Icom T90A (rig and car)

Anyone have what they think is the best antenna for a 2m, 70cm, 6m?
Price isn't an object in this case. I just want a choice of some
great antennas. I have a mag mount right now, but it's got a
Bayonet-style antenna, and not the screw-on.

(Pardon the lack of expertise, I'm a comparative new ham)

WW6DJM

Dan
Old April 18th 04, 03:06 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Daniel J. Morlan" wrote in message
om...
Anyone have what they think is the best antenna for a 2m, 70cm, 6m?
Price isn't an object in this case. I just want a choice of some
great antennas. I have a mag mount right now, but it's got a
Bayonet-style antenna, and not the screw-on.

You can try asking in the alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf news group. Also does it
have to be one antenna? A 6m quarter wave is going to be at least 5 feet
tall. That puts a lower limit on the size of any multiband antenna that
inclues the 6m band. Some people have had good luck using two antennas. One
for 70cm, and a 5/8 wave for 2m. The 5/8 wave 2m antenna will work on 6m,
its close to a quarter wave lenght, if you don't mind the some what poor
match you get.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old April 18th 04, 03:19 PM
Mike Coslo

Daniel J. Morlan wrote:
Anyone have what they think is the best antenna for a 2m, 70cm, 6m?
Price isn't an object in this case. I just want a choice of some
great antennas. I have a mag mount right now, but it's got a
Bayonet-style antenna, and not the screw-on.

(Pardon the lack of expertise, I'm a comparative new ham)

WW6DJM

Dan

Hi Dan.

I took the liberty of forwarding the message to
rec.radio.amateur.antenna. It is a better group for this subject.

Your question is a little broad. I'm not sure of the application, base
or mobile, or if you would like a multiband or what.

If you want a good general purpose antenna, there are multiband 2m/70cm
ones out there. Single band antennas work well also. I've made a ground
plane for the house, and the mobile antennas use the car body for the
ground plane, although I've heard some discussion to the contrary. A
number of people like J-pole antennas, I've just built one for 2 meters,
and am evaluating it now.

If you want more "gain", you might look into one of the multi-element
antennas. These are a good deal more expensive, and need a rotator, as
the gain in one direction is offset by a null in the opposite direction.

But so much depends on what you want to do. If repeater operations are
your main interest on the higher frequencies, then the ground
plane/jpole approach is better IMO, unless you are on a fringe area and
need the gain just to hit the repeater.

On six meters, there are a number of options, from dipole to the
multiple element antennas also. The same ideas apply.

Hope this helps, but if you like, you can give us a few more details.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 18th 04, 11:50 PM
Daniel J. Morlan

Ah! Thanks a lot! Actually 2 Meters is really the ONLY one I'm
wanting to be using. I have a new Icom T90A, and just want a nice car
antenna for talking on 2 meters. It's an HT. I have an actual Icom
V8000 rig, but that's for indoors. (Got a beautiful Diamond X-50 for
that, and I get repeaters all over the place here in the sierra
foothills. Though I have to get to work on my coax, which is damaged,
but ... Got the new coax and connectors, and will be dealing with that
after I move to Indianapolis.)

For now, I want to operate with a reasonable degree of effectiveness
from inside my vehicle with my HT. It's a fine, fine HT. My biggest
concern is 2 meters, and whether or not it comes with the coax I'll
need to put on my car. Again, I am VERY new to this hobby, having
only gone on the air a dozen times (since moving has taken all of my
energies) and I want something to use in the car. I have a mag mount,
but it has the bayonet style connector. I'll need an adapter, but I
ALSO want to get a good antenna. My radio only puts out 5 watts max.

I wouldn't mind being able to test out some 6M, but 2M is most
important for me. Thanks so much for your help and interest in
helping.

73, WW6DJM

Dan

Old April 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Mike Coslo

Daniel J. Morlan wrote:

Ah! Thanks a lot! Actually 2 Meters is really the ONLY one I'm
wanting to be using. I have a new Icom T90A, and just want a nice car
antenna for talking on 2 meters. It's an HT.

Okay, now we have something to work with. I'm using a 5/8th wave
antenna on my car. It works pretty well. I'd suggest one of those. The
brand is MFJ. Some don't like them, but it has performed well for over 3
years now. It has a small bottom loading coil. If you can spare the
height, a full length version should perform a bit better.

Most come with coax.

Then you have to deal with mounting. I use a mag mount, and can run the
cable between the doors of my Cherokee and it looks good. If that
doesn't work for you, you can possibly run the cable down the back and
into the trunk, then back up.

You can also use a trunk lip mount and do the same.

If you are really brave, you can body mount the antenna, but that is
quite a project.

I don't recommend glass mount antennas for 2 meters.

After mounting the antenna, get a bnc or sma adapter, according to your
needs, give the swr a check, and there you go. The big thing to look out
for on installations is to avoid crimping the coax between doors, trunk
lid, etc. That can create a swore problem.

I used a HT in the car for quite a while. (FT-50) Worked just fine. You
should be happy with it. With a decent antenna and 5 watts, it is
impressive how well it works.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 19th 04, 01:46 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Daniel J. Morlan" wrote in message
om...
Ah! Thanks a lot! Actually 2 Meters is really the ONLY one I'm
wanting to be using. I have a new Icom T90A, and just want a nice car
antenna for talking on 2 meters.

You want a mag-mount 5/8wave Larsen... it's a
nice 1/4wave on 6m, too. Get the Larsen mag
mount, too... your present mag-mount (probably
BNC, with a duck on it) is insufficient... BNC
connectors are not rated for outdoor exposure.
Just run the coax in the passenger side, via the
rear door's front edge, down the center post, and
under the rocker panel to the dash.
__
Steve
KI5YG
..

Old April 23rd 04, 07:48 AM
Daniel J. Morlan

Okay, what I ended up getting was a Larsen... A 5.8 wave... I'm using
a diamond mag mount (pinched my fingers on that sucker... Good
magnet!) Had to get a SMA adapter... I told the guy to include it,
and he didn't... Good guys at HRO though... No shipping at least.
Fast delivery. Can't ask for more than that, really...

I look forward to giving it a test flight tomorrow. Thanks for the
information folks! It really helped.

73, WW6DJM

.