Old September 3rd 03, 02:42 PM
LJL160

Default TransCon 10 transconverter mobile rig

FS -I have a Transcon 10 mobile trans- converter circa late 50s early 60s. Its
in decent shape and very interesting. It was a compact tube 10 meter AM 10 watt
mobile rig. It used the car bc radio as a tuneable IF. ER had writeup. I have
some paper work with it. Asking $50.00/ thank you for the read -Lew KlNDV

pic at http://www.officeto-go.com/radiolist.html
Old September 3rd 03, 03:26 PM
Michael Black

LJL160 ) writes:
FS -I have a Transcon 10 mobile trans- converter circa late 50s early 60s. Its
in decent shape and very interesting. It was a compact tube 10 meter AM 10 watt
mobile rig. It used the car bc radio as a tuneable IF. ER had writeup. I have
some paper work with it. Asking $50.00/ thank you for the read -Lew KlNDV

pic at http://www.officeto-go.com/radiolist.html

Also noteworthy is that the high voltage for the final was generated
by the modulator stage. The transmitter was transistorized up to
the final, and so was the modulator. There was a separate winding
on the modulation transformer, which fed a rectifier and filter capacitor,
and that supplied the high voltage to the final amplifier.

Michael VE2BVW

Old September 4th 03, 05:00 AM
Edward Knobloch

Mike Knudsen wrote:

(Michael Black) writes:

Also noteworthy is that the high voltage for the final was generated
by the modulator stage. The transmitter was transistorized up to
the final, and so was the modulator. There was a separate winding
on the modulation transformer, which fed a rectifier and filter capacitor,
and that supplied the high voltage to the final amplifier.

Wow. Does this mean that the listener receiving would see a "carrier
controlled" effect (well known from the DX-40 and -60 Heathkit rigs), whereby
the S-meter would pump up with the modulation? It appears that the final plate
voltage would vary a lot with the audio. Actually not a bad idea, though a lot
of extra work for the modulator.

--73, Mike K. AA1UK

I think controlled carrier effect while talking, and carrier cut-off
during pauses in speech, like a version of a.m. VOX.
Good to save car battery life, but hard listening for the persion
at the receiving end.

73,
Ed k4pf