Old July 18th 04, 07:12 PM
Mike Terry

Default Propagation

Solar-terrestrial indices for 17 July follow. Solar flux 149 and
mid-latitude A-index 23. The mid-latitude K-index at 1800 UTC on 18 July was
1 (6 nT). Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Radio
blackouts reaching the R1 level occurred. Space weather for the next 24
hours is expected to be moderate. Radio blackouts reaching the R2 level are
expected.

More on propagation http://www.dxing.info/

Old July 18th 04, 07:47 PM
Sanjaya

"Mike Terry" wrote...
Solar-terrestrial indices for 17 July follow. Solar flux 149 and
mid-latitude A-index 23. The mid-latitude K-index at 1800 UTC on 18 July was
1 (6 nT). Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Radio
blackouts reaching the R1 level occurred. Space weather for the next 24
hours is expected to be moderate. Radio blackouts reaching the R2 level are
expected.

More on propagation http://www.dxing.info/

I have the vaguest concept of the meaning of these indices. I read somewhere that
a general rule is if the A index is 15 or less and the K index is 5 or less listening will
be ok. But I've never seen a guide about Solar Flux numbers. What's a "good" number
for SF?

Old July 18th 04, 09:01 PM
Da Shadow

I have the vaguest concept of the meaning of these indices. I read

somewhere that
a general rule is if the A index is 15 or less and the K index is 5 or

less listening will
be ok. But I've never seen a guide about Solar Flux numbers. What's a

"good" number
for SF?

A lay persons guide to Solar Flux Index

SFI = 60 Lousy - The Pitts
SFI = 80 Grim - Go to the lower bands
SFI = 100 Ah lookin better but don't write home bout it
SFI = 140 Now its cookin
SFI =180 WOW -- hello world
SFI = 280 Gandbusters a wet noodle antenna will do ya
SFI =300 My prayers have been answered

But depends on the frequency and the A and k indices as well.

See URL's
http://www.wm7d.net/hamradio/solar/summary.shtml

AND

http://members.cts.com/fort/w/wn6k/sf2.htm

--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows

Old July 18th 04, 09:07 PM
Sanjaya

"Da Shadow" wrote...
A lay persons guide to Solar Flux Index

SFI = 60 Lousy - The Pitts
SFI = 80 Grim - Go to the lower bands
SFI = 100 Ah lookin better but don't write home bout it
SFI = 140 Now its cookin
SFI =180 WOW -- hello world
SFI = 280 Gandbusters a wet noodle antenna will do ya
SFI =300 My prayers have been answered

But depends on the frequency and the A and k indices as well.

See URL's
http://www.wm7d.net/hamradio/solar/summary.shtml

AND

http://members.cts.com/fort/w/wn6k/sf2.htm

--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows

Super!!!
Thanks Lamont.
P.S. I have some of your shows in mp3 :-)

Old July 18th 04, 10:59 PM
Da Shadow

Most welcome -- but I forgot to mention that the SFI is all downhill from
now on -- to a minimum sometime in 2006.

Cycle 24 is predicted to peak in 2010.

Cycle 23 started in May 1996 and peaked around April 2000. so we are 4
years from the peak and 2 years from the bottom - more or less.

See URL:

http://www.dxlc.com/solar/solcycle.html
--
Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks ___ ?
The Shadow Do
----------------------------
"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Da Shadow" wrote...

Old July 19th 04, 08:07 AM
Telamon

In article 1pCKc.6359$Zr.5016@okepread01, "Da Shadow"
wrote:

Most welcome -- but I forgot to mention that the SFI is all downhill from
now on -- to a minimum sometime in 2006.

Cycle 24 is predicted to peak in 2010.

Cycle 23 started in May 1996 and peaked around April 2000. so we are 4
years from the peak and 2 years from the bottom - more or less.

See URL:

http://www.dxlc.com/solar/solcycle.html
--
Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks ___ ?
The Shadow Do
----------------------------
"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Da Shadow" wrote...
A lay persons guide to Solar Flux Index

SFI = 60 Lousy - The Pitts
SFI = 80 Grim - Go to the lower bands
SFI = 100 Ah lookin better but don't write home bout it
SFI = 140 Now its cookin
SFI =180 WOW -- hello world
SFI = 280 Gandbusters a wet noodle antenna will do ya
SFI =300 My prayers have been answered

But depends on the frequency and the A and k indices as well.

See URL's
http://www.wm7d.net/hamradio/solar/summary.shtml

AND

http://members.cts.com/fort/w/wn6k/sf2.htm

Well, I was listening to Radio Japan this morning and it faded from S9
to S2 during a solar event indicated on this page. The frequency at that
time was 9535. I also had them on 11970 at about S6 pre event and lost
them altogether during the event.

The page updates about once a minute so you can watch the event in real
time and its effect on a broadcast like I did this morning.

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/dregion.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 19th 04, 09:30 PM
Raqueeb Hassan

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/dregion.html

Ah, yes ... this is a great page, updates every minute.

Thanks.

--
raqueeb hassan
congo (drc)
Old July 20th 04, 07:44 AM
starman

Mike Terry wrote:

Solar-terrestrial indices for 17 July follow. Solar flux 149 and
mid-latitude A-index 23. The mid-latitude K-index at 1800 UTC on 18 July was
1 (6 nT). Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Radio
blackouts reaching the R1 level occurred. Space weather for the next 24
hours is expected to be moderate. Radio blackouts reaching the R2 level are
expected.

More on propagation http://www.dxing.info/

We should take advantage of those days when the flux is over '100' now,
because there probably won't be that many in the coming few years.