PDA

View Full Version : Is PVC pipe UV resistant?

[email protected]
March 4th 05, 01:05 AM
Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was wondering
if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

gb
March 4th 05, 02:30 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Greetings
> Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant? I
> have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from this stuff.
> I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was wondering
> if it is necessary?
>
> Thanks
> Jim/K2TL

It's not bad, some of the early stuff (1970's/1980s) for an installation --
it is a lighter shade of gray today.
The last batch that I purchased a couple of years ago was silk-screened
(yellow) on outside as being UV resistant.
http://www.jmpipe.com/electrical.html

Schedule 80 is thicker (and heavier) and rated for outdoor use (and
punishment).

This is from Carlon (a major electrical PVC conduit mfg.)

UV is an issue for all plastic products. Fortunately, there are additives
that are added to plastics to make the material UV resistance. Listed
Schedule 40 and 80 PVC conduit utilizes these additives and are UV
resistant. The sunlight resistance test is found in UL Standard UL651.
Listed product will have an indefinite life period.

Listed Schedule 40 and 80 Conduit have been used in Florida for years
including on rooftops. It is preferred along the coast because it is
corrosion resistant. When used in an exposed environment where there are
changes in temperatures please are sure to use enough expansion fittings.

Greg
w9gb

Cecil Moore
March 4th 05, 04:56 AM
wrote:
> Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant?

The white stuff is not UV resistant. I've had it become
brittle and useless in both AZ and TX.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

mr. pl259
March 4th 05, 04:12 PM
Hi,
If you can use the grey pvc from electrical depts. that will last forever.

Allodoxaphobia
March 4th 05, 04:32 PM
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:56:11 -0600, Cecil Moore wrote:
> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant?
>
> The white stuff is not UV resistant. I've had it become
> brittle and useless in both AZ and TX.

Even more so - britllilier, uselesser, and faster - at 7,700' in Colorado!

73
Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

Korbin Dallas
March 13th 05, 03:17 PM
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:05:53 -0800, wrote:

> Greetings
> Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant? I
> have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from this stuff.
> I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was wondering
> if it is necessary?
>
> Thanks
> Jim/K2TL

No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

Clarence_A
March 13th 05, 04:25 PM
"Korbin Dallas" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:05:53 -0800, wrote:
>
> > Greetings
> > Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV
resistant? I
> > have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from
this stuff.
> > I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was
wondering
> > if it is necessary?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jim/K2TL
>
> No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been on my roof (in the
SUN) for over ten years. When Can I expect the PVC to fail?

RST Engineering
March 13th 05, 04:52 PM
"resistant" is hard to define. I have a j-pole made out of PVC that has
been on the roof for almost thirty years. I suppose at some time it will
fail, but probably not in my lifetime. I certainly wouldn't expect it to
have the same pressure and burst characteristics if I was using it with
water pressure, but it seems to hold up well as an antenna structure.

My company has been making vertical dipoles using Schedule 40 PVC as the
"radome" for nearly twenty years, and as yet, not a single reported field
failure.

Jim

"Korbin Dallas" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:05:53 -0800, wrote:
>
>> Greetings
>> Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant? I
>> have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from this stuff.
>> I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was wondering
>> if it is necessary?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jim/K2TL
>
> No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

Wes Stewart
March 13th 05, 10:48 PM
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:25:06 GMT, "Clarence_A" > wrote:

>"Korbin Dallas" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:05:53 -0800, wrote:
>>
>> > Greetings
>> > Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV
>resistant? I
>> > have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from
>this stuff.
>> > I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was
>wondering
>> > if it is necessary?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Jim/K2TL
>>
>> No, PVC is not UV Resistant...
>
>I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been on my roof (in the
>SUN) for over ten years. When Can I expect the PVC to fail?

As soon as you bring it down to AZ. I have a 120' run of 2" grey PVC
from the house to the tower. It's mostly above ground with a stake
and clamp every 10'. It looks like a snake, the top side turns color
and it's cracked in a couple of places.

Clarence_A
March 14th 05, 02:46 AM
"Justín Käse" wrote
> Clarence_A wrote

> >> No, PVC is not UV Resistant...
> >
> > I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been
> > on my roof (in the SUN) for over ten years.
> > When Can I expect the PVC to fail?
>
> At some future next time when a gusty wind applies
> enough vibration to cause the brittle case to stress
> fracture and crumble.
> Note* - Gusty winds are often accompanied by
> precipitation which will give your newly exposed
> antenna a good soaking.
> -- JK

Can't tell what you are trying to say.
I live in California in an area where we get 70 to 90 MPH winds
several times a year, sometimes the (water proof) PVC gets rained
on, but not much (11 to 36 inches a year. Sun for about 325 Days
a year. Still see no damage of any sort. I do not however expect
it to last forever, but then neither will I!

BTW: the antenna is Aluminum wire and the water would not damage
it either, but then I can't hang the wire out in the wind! It is
just several strands of #15 electric fence wire. (Four per
element.)

Clarence_A
March 14th 05, 02:56 AM
"Wes Stewart" wrote
> "Clarence_A" wrote

> >resistant? I
> >this stuff.
> >wondering

> >> No, PVC is not UV Resistant...
> >
> >I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been on my roof (in
the
> >SUN) for over ten years. When Can I expect the PVC to fail?
>
> As soon as you bring it down to AZ. I have a 120' run of 2"
grey PVC
> from the house to the tower. It's mostly above ground with a
stake
> and clamp every 10'. It looks like a snake, the top side turns
color
> and it's cracked in a couple of places.

That is not schedule 40 and I did not use the light irrigation
pipe. I have been in Arizona (for 29 years) and can not say I
ever used PVC for anything. I used Galvanized pipe for sprinklers
too. But that was about thirty years ago and before.

I However we had a pool heater from the black flex pipe which
lasted for many years. It is no good for RF though!

Google