Old August 3rd 05, 01:44 PM
Chris Cummins

Default Discone Antenna

Can anyone recomend a good discone antenna, I'll be using a uniden bc796d
and a winradio 1550e. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris Cummins

Old August 3rd 05, 09:39 PM
Bill Gates

"Chris Cummins" wrote in news:X_2Ie.1$5P1.315
@news.uswest.net:

Can anyone recomend a good discone antenna, I'll be using a uniden bc796d
and a winradio 1550e. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris Cummins

Only one thing to say Chris, CLCIK

http://mysite.verizon.net/moment_1/s...ng/antenna.htm
Old August 4th 05, 12:50 AM
Brian

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:39:11 -0500, Bill Gates wrote:

get a real antenna
my dressler is great lots of bandwith from a small antenna

"Chris Cummins" wrote in news:X_2Ie.1$5P1.315
:

Old August 4th 05, 05:24 AM
Mike

Here is a “reprint” of a previous post about Dressler active VHF/UHF
antennas. Save your money and build or buy something else!
Mike

The Dressler VHF/UHF active antennas are far from impressive, especially
for the price. I borrowed two of the active VHF/UHF Dresslers from the
local rep (forget the model but went to 2GHz and was not the high IP3
version) and tested them on a antenna range against a Radio Shack
Discone. The source antenna was a commercial 50MHz to 1GHz log periodic.
I don’t have the results handy but above the mid VHF range the Dressler
did a little better than the Discone but not by much, the best
performance was about 5 or 6dB at 1ghz if I remember correctly, which
was my upper test limit at the time. Oddly, the Discone worked about the
same on VHF high band and much better in the VHF air band. What was more
surprising was the Discone was better from 50MHz to 100MHz than the
Dressler even though the Discone was below it’s natural cut off freq of
around 100MHz. I thought something was wrong with the Dressler but both
units gave the same results and the Dressler gain control was all the
way up in both cases. The rep confirmed they were both working properly
when returned also. Without opening the Dressler, we could only conclude
the “antenna” element inside was a poor design and the internal pre-amp
can only do so much with what its fed. Much better performance could be
had starting with a Dressler and feeding it with a Dressler or similar
pre-amp, which the local rep uses himself (what’s up with that?). If you
hear of a good report from a Dressler owner, it’s probably because they
have to justify the
high price they paid for the thing.

Old August 4th 05, 03:55 PM
Mike

There was a typo at the bottom of the post, it should read "Much better
performance could be had starting with a DISCONE and feeding it with a

Brian wrote:

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:39:11 -0500, Bill Gates wrote:

get a real antenna my dressler is great lots of bandwith from a
small antenna

@news.uswest.net: