Old August 13th 05, 01:40 PM
DougSlug

Default Icom IC-R20 Opinions

How does the Icom IC-R20 stack up against similar wide receive/all-mode
analog receivers like the Yaesu VR-500 or AOR AR-8200MkIII in terms of
performance (particularly HF), scan speed, overall ease-of-use and quality?
All opinions welcome!

Thanks,
Doug

Old August 13th 05, 05:41 PM
Bill Crocker

I see a lot of used ones for sale. It seems many people are selling them
shortly after purchasing them! I think it's most likely a very good
"communications receiver", but a big disappointment when used as a "scanner"
Scanners are far superior features when it comes to scanning.

On Radio Reference a guy had one listed for around $375.00.

Bill Crocker

Old August 13th 05, 08:39 PM
DougSlug

Bill, what types of features would you say "scanners" have over the R20?
And which models might you be referring to? I think I'm probably more
interested in the "communications receiver" type of performance, but I'd
like to understand some of the differences.

- Doug

Old August 14th 05, 12:06 AM
Jim

Doug,

AOR 8200 MKIII needs add on cards for CTCSS and Recording. The IC-R20 needs
no silly add on cards and has DCS too.

Yaesu VR-500 has no CTCSS/DCS and recording. But is a few hundred cheaper.

I agonized between the VR-500, Alinco's DJX-2000 and the Icom R-20 for weeks
before deciding on the ICOM R-20.
I have not been disappointed. Remember with portable HF monitoring, your
antenna and atmospheric conditions will make or break your monitoring
session.

73,
W2USB

Old August 14th 05, 12:11 AM
Jim

What "Scanner" covers HF with USB LSB ? I think he said he was interested
in HF all mode analog.

Old August 14th 05, 12:48 AM
Bill Crocker

One of the things he asked about was scan speed. Scan speed on the R20 is
very slow. Ease of use? No Icom's I've seen are what you would classify,
"easy to use".

Oh yea, and he said, "All opinions welcome!"

Bill Crocker

news:1123974593.4ea9e8a3175d28170f837b81a11c9439@t eranews...

Old August 14th 05, 12:49 AM
Bill Crocker

For your needs, you'll probably be content with the R20. But down the road,
should you want to monitor trunked, or digital public safety, you'll be out
of luck.

Bill Crocker

Old August 14th 05, 04:14 PM
Jim

He asked how the ICOM R-20 stacked up against SIMILAR WIDE RECEIVE/ALL MODE
ANALOG RECEIVERS.
You told him "scanners are far more superior features when it comes to
scanning". I asked what scanner covers HF with USB and LSB. I guess all
opinions are welcome as long as they are yours. BTW, I find the ICOM very
easy to use.

Old August 14th 05, 05:27 PM
DougSlug

Thanks for the all the feedback. Please don't argue...I did say "all
opinions welcome"...

Bill, I had considered the possibility of needing trunking and
digital...what models would you recommended for those requirements? I once
owned a PRO-95 and played around with the NJ State Police trunked
system...it worked OK for that (I guess; I had nothing to compare to), but
overall I didn't really like the PRO-95. I think it was just culture clash,
though--I was used to Yaesu and AOR receivers, and I hated that there was no
VFO type mode on the 95. I also prefer having TV and FM broadcast bands in
the same receiver, which the 95 didn't have. I did think the audio was
"hissy" on the PRO-95 even with otherwise full quieting signals. It looks
like the BCD396T is the one to have for trunking and digital. Maybe I'll
just have to get both!!

Old August 14th 05, 11:05 PM
SamSez

"Jim" wrote in message
news:1124032348.6844c0e163e3ede5fa7f8271928b8758@t eranews...
He asked how the ICOM R-20 stacked up against SIMILAR WIDE RECEIVE/ALL MODE
ANALOG RECEIVERS.
You told him "scanners are far more superior features when it comes to
scanning". I asked what scanner covers HF with USB and LSB.

Yupi 7100?

Useful Icom IC-R75 [R-75] Links for Facts and Information about the Icom IC-R75 [R-75] RHF Shortwave 1 January 3rd 05 08:56 AM
Icom R-20 Opinions consigliori Scanner 0 October 2nd 04 01:23 AM
Icom CS-2720 software opinions? Monte B. Carroll Equipment 0 October 1st 04 04:11 AM
Icom CS-2720 software opinions? Monte B. Carroll Equipment 0 October 1st 04 04:11 AM
Getting into the scanner hobby again.... thinking about the Icom IC-R3...opinions? j Scanner 2 January 24th 04 11:27 AM