Old August 14th 05, 09:33 PM
chaz

Default New user/shopper for a scanner???

Hi,
Looking at / for a handheld scanner. I live in a relatively large metro
area, near Augusta, GA. Several communities and I would like to just scan
for the fun of it. I dont know what "trunking" is but a lot of the new
scanners offer this capability, maybe all?

Question is, whats a good starter unit? Im not looking to eavesdrop on the
CIA or IRS, just want to listen in on the local stuff. Dont want to spend a
lot of money as this wont even really be a hobby. I just dont want to
purchase old technology thats an obvious waste.

Any advice appreciated.

chaz

Old August 14th 05, 10:04 PM
Alex Clayton

"chaz" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi,
Looking at / for a handheld scanner. I live in a relatively large metro
area, near Augusta, GA. Several communities and I would like to just scan
for the fun of it. I dont know what "trunking" is but a lot of the new
scanners offer this capability, maybe all?

Question is, whats a good starter unit? Im not looking to eavesdrop on the
CIA or IRS, just want to listen in on the local stuff. Dont want to spend
lot of money as this wont even really be a hobby. I just dont want to
purchase old technology thats an obvious waste.

Any advice appreciated.

chaz

Look at the :

http://www.radioreference.com/index.php

Find the area you want to scan, make sure it's not digital. If it is Trunked
of any kind you need a Trunk Tracking scanner. The low end models are Radio
Shack Pro-97 and Uniden makes a couple. The Uniden BC246T would be my first
choice. Cost is the same as the RS, and it includes a PC cable, and AC
adapter. Not to mention it's a very small package, easy to carry around. If
you can still find a Pro-95 that RS discontinued to make the 97 it will work
great also. Little complicated to get one set up for Trunking, but there is
lots of help on line to get you over the hump.

--
"Money is truthful. If a man speaks of his honor make him pay cash."
:Lazarus Long

Old August 14th 05, 10:19 PM
chaz

"Alex Clayton" wrote in message
nk.net...
"chaz" wrote in message
[...]

Alex,
How will i know if an area is TRUNKED? (digital??) I see the tables on the
site you sent, but it means nothing to me, because i am a neophyte

Old August 15th 05, 12:22 AM
Alex Clayton

nk.net...

"chaz" wrote in message
[...]

Ok I'm FAR from any kind of expert at this, but it looks to me like there is
no digital yet. There does seem to be a LOT of trunked stuff to choose from.
These names don't mean anything to me as I don't live there but look at this
page:
http://www.radioreference.com/module...=TRSDB&sid=429

There is a lot of Motorola Trunked stuff there. Are any of these communities
near you? If so you want a trunking scanner. Looks like there is some
standard stuff you could pick up with any scanner, but the majority seems to
be Trunked. A cheap new scanner that does not Trunk Track is about $100.00.
A very good, Trunk Tracking scanner is about $200.00 new. So I would
recommend getting the 246T. Looks like there will be a hell of a lot of
stuff to listen to there.
If you decide to get one, join the Radio Reference page it's free, and if
you like what they have, as you should, send them a few bucks to show it. A
10$ donation to them is appreciated, and if you buy a book at a place like
RS they are twice that and the RR forum will give you much better info. If
you decide to buy a scanner, there's LOTS of help getting it going. They are
a lot of fun. I started with one at one job as a necessity. Soon I found
myself listening at home to for fun.

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Advice on buying a scanner John Scanner 0 August 25th 04 12:11 PM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM