PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: SWAN Mobile Antenna Info

Norm VE3CZI
July 17th 03, 08:44 PM
I recently "saw" a very interesting Mobile Antenna Designed and Made by SWAN
Electronics in the '60s era.

It covers 80 - 40 - 20 Meters. Has One coil with two variable Capacitor
arrangements tapped on the coil for adjustment for 40 & 20 Meters. There
is access through a plastic cover to tune the capacitors.
It has a 4 ft rod below the coil, with this switching assy in center and
a CB Whip on top.
It is totally automatic ie: electronic switching..no manual or relays...very
interesting design.

** Can anyone recollect what the model Number is of this Antenna might be?
There are NO markings on the Antenna.
** Has anyone got any information on this Antenna?

Tnx & 73...Norm VE3CZI

'Doc
July 18th 03, 04:06 AM
Norm,
I remember it was called a 'Swantenna', but thats
all. Sorry 'bout that...
'Doc

Dick
July 18th 03, 05:58 AM
From Don Johnson's, "40+5 Years of HF Mobileering." The Swantenna
came in two models, the 45 and 55. They covered from 75 to 10-meters.
On the less expensive one, you had to get out of the car and adjust
the coil for each band. The more expensive one had a motor that could
be controlled from inside the vehicle.

The antenna in question is a Swan Deluxe 742 Tri-Band Mobile HF
Antenna. It covered 3 bands automatically. Swan sold this antenna to
Cubic, who sold it to Barker and Williamson. The B&W number was
370-19.

Dick - W6CCD

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:06:16 -0500, 'Doc > wrote:

>Norm,
> I remember it was called a 'Swantenna', but thats
>all. Sorry 'bout that...
> 'Doc

mcalhoun
July 18th 03, 10:01 PM
> I remember it was called a 'Swantenna', but thats
>all. Sorry 'bout that...

I once owned one. LOVED it! Worked quite well, and could change bands
while moving! Unfortunately, I eventually drove under a too-low tree
and ruined it.

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTX). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448

Old DXer
July 18th 03, 10:44 PM
Try:
SWAN/CUBIC RADIO MANUALS
Brock Publications
Box 5004
Oceanside, CA. 92052
Phone (760)757-0372.
Grace has complete manuals, service notes etc.

Prices Available On Request.

"mcalhoun" > wrote in message
> > I remember it was called a 'Swantenna', but thats
> >all. Sorry 'bout that...
>
> I once owned one. LOVED it! Worked quite well, and could change bands
> while moving! Unfortunately, I eventually drove under a too-low tree
> and ruined it.
>
> --Myron.
> --
> Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and
cartridge
> PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTX). W0PBV. (785)
539-4448
> NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor (Home Firearm Safety, Rifle,
Pistol)

Google