Old August 27th 05, 07:22 AM
Glenan

Default Airport Freq.

Hi all:

I just purchased my first scanner in hopes of getting into a new hobby.
With this in mind, I will apologize in advance if some of my questions seem
"elementary"

I am also interested in aviation but cannot seem to locate a good listing of
airport frequencies. I am assuming that airports all operate on one
specific frequency for a great deal of their communications with the
aircraft. Could someone please give me these frequencies or direct me to a
website where I could get them?

Also, I have been told that purchasing a frequency "guide" would be a waste
of my money. Could I please have your opinion that would include a good
source of frequencies?

I live in South Florida, Broward county to be exact, and would also be
interested in a local "club".

Thank you in advance fir any help you may be able to give me.
Glenn

Old August 27th 05, 10:31 AM
Brad

"Glenan" wrote in message
Hi all:

I just purchased my first scanner in hopes of getting into a new hobby.
With this in mind, I will apologize in advance if some of my questions
seem "elementary"

I am also interested in aviation but cannot seem to locate a good listing
of airport frequencies. I am assuming that airports all operate on one
specific frequency for a great deal of their communications with the
aircraft. Could someone please give me these frequencies or direct me to
a website where I could get them?

Right about this point I would like to introduce you to a system known as
Google. It's quite incredible really. I'm surprised you seem unfamiliar with
it operation.

Airports do not operate on one frequency. They use several (small GA
airports) to dozens (larger airports)

a search on Broward County Airport returned:

Airport / FBO Information
KFLL FORT LAUDERDALE/HOLLYWOOD INTL FORT LAUDERDALE
FL Time Zone: ET

Lat: N 2604.4 Long: W 08009.2 Elev: 9 Var: +04 Longest
Runway: 9000
Clr Del: 128.4 Dept. ATIS: 135.0 Arr. ATIS: 135.0 Ground:
121.4/121.7 Tower: 119.3/120.2

ATIS is Airport Terminal Information service.
CLR DEL is Clearance Delivery
Dept Departures
Ground is for ground movements
Tower is, well, for the Tower.

Try it for yourself, you'll get results within millisecond, instead of days
awaiting others to do all the work for you.

Brad.

Old August 27th 05, 01:54 PM
DougSlug

I believe you'll find what you're looking for at http://www.airnav.com.

I'm sorry if my answer wasn't snotty, sarcastic or arrogant.

Old August 27th 05, 08:14 PM
Glenan

I am quite familiar with Google. They are my homepage.

I always thought that newsgroups were intended for a purpose like this
(among others) ((Please correct me if I am mistaken and I will not post any
such type of messages anymore)). I did not intend for anyone to do any
"work" for me and I guess I must apologize to Brad for any inconvenience I
might have caused him.

As my Grandfather used to say... "It takes all kinds"

A sincere thank you to those who have helped me in a civil manner.

Glenn

Old August 28th 05, 03:32 AM
Brad

"DougSlug" wrote in message
I believe you'll find what you're looking for at http://www.airnav.com.

I'm sorry if my answer wasn't snotty, sarcastic or arrogant.

You forgot helpful. Not only did I tell him where to find the information, I
also went the extra mile, unlike you, and found it for him, listed it and
even explained the terminology.

But you are right about my response being snotty. It was intended to be.
Someone with Google for a Homepage ought to ask it first. What was that old
story about Teaching a Man to Fish?

Brad.

Old August 28th 05, 03:37 AM
Brad

"Glenan" wrote in message
I am quite familiar with Google. They are my homepage.

As my Grandfather used to say... "It takes all kinds"

A sincere thank you to those who have helped me in a civil manner.

Glenn

And my Grandfather used to say The Lord helps those who help themselves. If
after that, you have difficulty understanding something, then we (I) am
only too happy to assist in any way possible. But too many people want
something for nothing in this world.

Despite that, you received only two replies, one was a URL from Doug, and
mine contained all the local frequencies and explanation of the terminology.
I'm sorry if you did not find my reply helpful.

Brad.

Old August 28th 05, 04:52 AM
Glenan

It was not that I did not find your post helpful. It was the sarcasm that
you applied. In the original message, I stated that "I was having trouble
locating..." i.e.: I had already looked for myself.

And now a suggestion for you: Perhaps you should try comprehending a post
more thoroughly before sarcastically insulting people.

Glenn

Old August 28th 05, 05:10 AM
Brad

Well, you know, I'm over 16,000 kilometers away, have no knowledge of your
area, county or local airport, and yet I was able to type in Broward County
airport and hit it in one. Why wouldn't I be sarcastic? I did read your post
and answered it accurately. Would you like me to email you a map too?

Brad.

Old August 28th 05, 01:31 PM
DougSlug

Glenn,

My advice, unsolicited as it may be, is to just step away from it and move
on. Brad is clearly one of these "last word/always right" types who
flourish on the Internet. Take the high road...there's plenty of lanes open
on the low road for Brad and his buddies.

Happy scanning!