PDA

View Full Version : Help finding equivalent diodes needed

John A
September 1st 05, 11:54 AM
I've an HP 8558B Spectrum Analyser with dud diodes in its first mixer (one
shows 0.33v forward, high resistance reverse, the other 11 ohms either way
around)

The official part 08558-20095 and its replacement 08558-60152 have long
become obsolete. Can anyone suggest a substitute? The application is in a
low power balanced mixer mixing input signals in the range 0 to 1500MHz with
a Local Oscillator tuning from 2050MHz to 3550MHz to produce a signal
passing through a 5000MHz low-pass filter to a 2050MHz bandpass filter. The
present diodes are small glass wire-ended diodes about 4mm long and about
1mm diameter.

Many thanks in advance.

John

Michael A. Terrell
September 1st 05, 03:13 PM
John A wrote:

> I've an HP 8558B Spectrum Analyser with dud diodes in its first mixer (one
> shows 0.33v forward, high resistance reverse, the other 11 ohms either way
> around)
>
> The official part 08558-20095 and its replacement 08558-60152 have long
> become obsolete. Can anyone suggest a substitute? The application is in a
> low power balanced mixer mixing input signals in the range 0 to 1500MHz with
> a Local Oscillator tuning from 2050MHz to 3550MHz to produce a signal
> passing through a 5000MHz low-pass filter to a 2050MHz bandpass filter. The
> present diodes are small glass wire-ended diodes about 4mm long and about
> 1mm diameter.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> John

Can you replace the mixer with something from Mini-circuits?
http://www.minicircuits.com/

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Eamon Skelton
September 1st 05, 06:02 PM
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:54:45 +0100, John A wrote:

> The present diodes are small glass wire-ended diodes about 4mm long and
> about 1mm diameter.

Hello John,

I have a UHF mixer in my junkbox. It has a pair of of glass
Schottky diodes about the same size as yours. I think they
are HP 8000 series. I know that they work well on 23CM.
Picture here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~ei9gq/diode.jpg

They are yours if you want them.

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
linux-2.6.13
Remove 'X' to reply by e-mail.

Russ
September 2nd 05, 02:46 AM
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:02:17 +0000, Eamon Skelton
> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:54:45 +0100, John A wrote:
>

>> The present diodes are small glass wire-ended diodes about 4mm long and
>> about 1mm diameter.
>
>Hello John,
>
>I have a UHF mixer in my junkbox. It has a pair of of glass
>Schottky diodes about the same size as yours. I think they
>are HP 8000 series. I know that they work well on 23CM.
>Picture here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~ei9gq/diode.jpg
>

>They are yours if you want them.
>
>73, Ed. EI9GQ.

Ed, could you contact me off-list please. I have a couple of
questions to ask. My e-mail follows in suitable munged-up fashion.

r c n i x o n (at) m*i*n*d*s*p*r*i*n*g (dot) c&o&m

Just remove the obvious characters.

Thanks,

Russ - kf4wxd

Eamon Skelton
September 2nd 05, 09:12 AM
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:46:57 +0000, Russ wrote:

> Ed, could you contact me off-list please. I have a couple of questions to
> ask. My e-mail follows in suitable munged-up fashion.
>
> r c n i x o n (at) m*i*n*d*s*p*r*i*n*g (dot) c&o&m

Hello Russ,

Thats the most munging I have ever seen in an
e-mail address. Remove the leading X from my From:
address. User: nospam Domain: oceanfree.net

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
linux-2.6.13
Remove 'X' to reply by e-mail.

Pete KE9OA
September 2nd 05, 09:23 PM
Hey John,
An HP1N5711 diode should do the trick. I sent a few to a fellow in Canada
some months back that had a blown 1st mixer in his 8558. I have about 150 on
hand and I would also be glad to send a few your way.

Pete

"Eamon Skelton" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:46:57 +0000, Russ wrote:
>

>> Ed, could you contact me off-list please. I have a couple of questions
>> ask. My e-mail follows in suitable munged-up fashion.
>>
>> r c n i x o n (at) m*i*n*d*s*p*r*i*n*g (dot) c&o&m
>
> Hello Russ,
>
> Thats the most munging I have ever seen in an
> e-mail address. Remove the leading X from my From:
> address. User: nospam Domain: oceanfree.net
>
> 73, Ed. EI9GQ.
>
> --
> linux-2.6.13
> Remove 'X' to reply by e-mail.