Old September 14th 05, 02:26 PM
PowerHouse Communications

Default Radio Shack Pro 2051 Scanner Opinions...

I'm looking for opinions on the Pro-2051 scanner. The only experience I
have had with "pre-programmed" scanners are my 2 older Uniden BCT7s. I live
in Michigan, so I know that I "need" digital, however I have yet to purchase
ANY scanner that is digital capable, as they are far beyond my budget,
unfortunately.

The scanner will be used to replace my BCT7 in my car, in case anybody is
wondering... I guess I am just wondering if there is any reason to buy this
to replace my current unit. Would it be worth my while, as perhaps it
offers better performance than my BCT7? At the very least, I'm sure it will
provide me some relief from all the cellular phone images in the 800-band,
as mine is the older, DUAL conversion unit, not the newer triple
conversion...

Currently setup consists of the Mobile Mag-mount RS scanner antenna, with my
(older style) BCT7.

Thanks for any input!

Old September 14th 05, 10:23 PM
Frank346

The 2051 is missing lots of features like CTCSS/DCS, alpha tags, Mot 900 MHz
tracking, and EDACS narrow. It is apparently now discontinued and may be
worth getting if the price drops below $100. Otherwise consider the PRO-2055
instead. There is no manual for the PRO-2055 on the Radio Shack site but you
can compare features by downloading the PRO-97 manual and the PRO-2051
manual.

Old October 1st 05, 04:32 AM
Dissonant1

I am a total amateur and know next to nothing about this. However, I
bought a Radio Shack 2051 model "triple Trunking" scanner on clrearance for
$150.00. I took it to a local electronics place and they programmed it for
me with all the local channels I wanted. It came preprogrammed with many
frequencies which work well, but now I have all the local frequencies
programmed as well.
As I said, I know nothing about this. The man who programmed it said
it was very similar to a Uniden Bearcat scanner in design, but used
different software. He said that one advantage was that it would accept
programming for EDACS, Motorola, and one other format and was one of the
only scanners that would accept this programming without actually being
within range of the signal broadcasting. So far I am very happy with it.

Old October 1st 05, 04:43 AM
Al Klein

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:32:38 -0400, "Dissonant1"
said in alt.radio.scanner:

As I said, I know nothing about this. The man who programmed it said
it was very similar to a Uniden Bearcat scanner in design, but used
different software. He said that one advantage was that it would accept
programming for EDACS, Motorola, and one other format and was one of the
only scanners that would accept this programming without actually being
within range of the signal broadcasting.

The Uniden scanners are the other type.

Enjoy.