Old September 17th 05, 01:16 AM
Chris

Default Prob Monitoring Detroit's New System

Anybody with digital scanners in the Detroit area, have any problems
monitoring their new simulcast system?? I have an R/S Pro-96 (firmware
upgraded to 1.2), Pro-2096 (firmware upgraded to 1.2) and a Uniden BC796D
which I use to listen to digital systems. For some odd reason, all 3 are
having problems decoding the Detroit system. All 3 scanners claim they can
decode CQPSK/C4M, which this system supposedly is, but none of them are able
to offer an intelligible signal. On some occasions, you can hear part or all
of the transmission, but its hit or miss. All 3 do an awesome job with all
of the other systems I listen to, so what gives?

Chris

Old September 17th 05, 03:16 AM
Al Klein

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:16:11 -0400, "Chris" said in
alt.radio.scanner:

Anybody with digital scanners in the Detroit area, have any problems
monitoring their new simulcast system?? I have an R/S Pro-96 (firmware
upgraded to 1.2), Pro-2096 (firmware upgraded to 1.2) and a Uniden BC796D
which I use to listen to digital systems. For some odd reason, all 3 are
having problems decoding the Detroit system. All 3 scanners claim they can
decode CQPSK/C4M, which this system supposedly is, but none of them are able
to offer an intelligible signal. On some occasions, you can hear part or all
of the transmission, but its hit or miss. All 3 do an awesome job with all
of the other systems I listen to, so what gives?

Which particular system (MPSCS)? Which particular talk groups?
Old September 17th 05, 03:21 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I will go out on a limb here. I assume you are evaluating all three
radios from a fixed location? Could it be you are located outside the
Detroit area? Simulcast systems are very particular with respect to
phasing. If your monitoring location is such that you are hearing two or
more sites that have a differential of more than about 15 miles, you
might be getting poorly phased simulcast signals. Try moving the
receivers to a different closer in site. If that works, you may need a
yagi antenna for you base to discriminate the best site for reception.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Old September 17th 05, 12:54 PM
Chris

Which particular system (MPSCS)? Which particular talk groups?

Its the newly added simulcast system, (listed on radioreference.com as MPSCS
#701), which claims to have 10 sites. It just came online last week and is
being used by MSP and the City of Detroit. I do notice that the previous
Detroit system for MSP is now off the air. I believe that it was listed as
#209 in the MPSCS list. I had no problem monitoring that.

Chris

Old September 17th 05, 01:04 PM
Chris

Yes you are correct. I am located in a suburb of Detroit, aprox. 10-20 miles
from the 10 sites. 2 of the radios (the Radio Shacks) are using telescoping
antennas. The BC796D is fed with a commercial 800 mhz vertical (9913 coax),
tuned to the 866-869 band. I would have figured that at least that
radio/antenna would have no problem with reception? There seems to be
adequate signal, according to the s-meters on the radios. I've had no
problem monitoring other non-CQPSK/C4M 3600/9600 baud systems until now.

You do state that a Yagi would be preferable.....hmmm, that might be the
answer. This hobby is getting dogone expensive!!!

Thanks,

Chris

Old September 19th 05, 01:21 PM
zerg90

Chris - have you tried moving the antennas around? Longer - shorter -
lean left - lean right - etc? How about adding some attenuation?
(perhaps a cellphone site recently activated near you).

Also - the advice that you received about a Yagi sounded reasonable to
me.

The new simulcast systems probably are not designed to offer service 10
miles outside of the city.

Peter S

Old September 19th 05, 09:25 PM
Chris

I've tried everything except the Yagi, Peter. I guess I will have to take a
trip towards Detroit, with the portable, and see if things sound better.
Grrrr. This is frustrating.

Chris

oups.com...

Old September 20th 05, 04:58 AM
Bill Crocker

Don't panic. Wait awhile until all the dust settles. You are not the only
one experiencing problems with that system, and I have a gut feeling it will
get sorted out soon.

Bill Crocker

news