Old September 17th 05, 05:25 PM
Steven Hardy

Default Football Coach Radios

Would anybody know if the wireless headset radios that football coaches use,
particularly college but also NFL are able to be picked up by scanners? I
have been told that they are often digitally encrypted, but others have told
me they can be picked up in the 450-465 range just like any other short
range radio.

Thanks for the help,
Steven Hardy

Old September 17th 05, 11:15 PM
Al Klein

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:25:45 -0400, "Steven Hardy"
said in rec.radio.scanner:

Would anybody know if the wireless headset radios that football coaches use,
particularly college but also NFL are able to be picked up by scanners? I
have been told that they are often digitally encrypted, but others have told
me they can be picked up in the 450-465 range just like any other short
range radio.

If they're using non-encrypted radios that aren't DSS, they might as
well post their plays on the board for everyone to see. IOW, don't
bet on intercepting those signals without some very sophisticated,
very expensive (and probably very illegal) equipment. Except, maybe,
for high school games.
Old September 19th 05, 07:06 AM
Jim

Steven Hardy wrote:
Would anybody know if the wireless headset radios that football coaches use,
particularly college but also NFL are able to be picked up by scanners? I
have been told that they are often digitally encrypted, but others have told
me they can be picked up in the 450-465 range just like any other short
range radio.

Thanks for the help,
Steven Hardy

don't know about Stateside, but here in the UK, PMR446 is increasingly
used for such diverse situations as intercom, vehicle control, site
security and even school outings. There's 304 channels available (8x38)
seperated by (I think) 6.25KHz from 446.0-447.9MHz. The reason for its
gaining popularity is twofold: clarity of signal and amplitude over
given distances up to 10-15 miles for professional gear, 1-2 miles
outdoors for leisure units; and the fact that a license to operate one
is not required. I own and operate a sizeable collection of such units
myself, including two pairs of leisure units (one pair of BT Freeways
and one pair of Albas) and one pair of pro units (Kenwood). The Kenwoods
are good for 10 miles solid on a bad day.

--
Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of
Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old September 19th 05, 10:06 PM
RadAct

"Barry OGrady" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:06:56 GMT, Jim

wrote:

Steven Hardy wrote:
Would anybody know if the wireless headset radios that football coaches

use,
particularly college but also NFL are able to be picked up by scanners?

have been told that they are often digitally encrypted, but others have

told
me they can be picked up in the 450-465 range just like any other short
range radio.

Thanks for the help,
Steven Hardy

don't know about Stateside, but here in the UK, PMR446 is increasingly
used for such diverse situations as intercom, vehicle control, site
security and even school outings. There's 304 channels available (8x38)
seperated by (I think) 6.25KHz from 446.0-447.9MHz.

You got that wrong. There are 8 channels from 446.0 to 446.1 with 12.5 Khz
channel spacing and a 6.25 Khz offset.

In the U.S., those freqs are right in the middle of the ham band or, is it
different in the UK?

Old September 20th 05, 12:29 AM
matt weber

Steven Hardy wrote:
Would anybody know if the wireless headset radios that football coaches use,
particularly college but also NFL are able to be picked up by scanners? I
have been told that they are often digitally encrypted, but others have told
me they can be picked up in the 450-465 range just like any other short
range radio.

Thanks for the help,
Steven Hardy

The NFL uses an encrypted wireless system built by Motorola to insure
that neither you, or the opposing team can listen in. You can probably
pick it up on a scanner, but since it is encrypted, you won't hear
anything intelligible.

Old September 20th 05, 06:54 AM
Ralph

What Matt Weber said,
The headsets are digitally encrypted.
My nephew is the head electrician at the dome here in St. Louis and he tells
me that the hard wired comms are also digital and encrypted as well.
I'm sure it all has something to do with dollars$$!!