Old September 21st 05, 12:11 AM

Default Radio Schack stores Pro-97 Purchasing saga

Radio Schack stores Pro-97 Purchasing saga

Flyer mentions free programming

Queens Elmhurst Jackson Heights
Rosevelt Avenue and 82 St
in stock but can not program for me
had to pass 50 feet from store anyhow

Manahattan
Herald Mall,
Herald Square
recently moved to new and bigger store in same mall.
Can not program
and have no cable
and no book
had to go by there to get something at 32 Street bargain stores

Manhattan
Grenenich Village
779 Broadway near 10 Street
store employee says
"the free progaming means we give you a number to call up and they
tell you how to program it over the phone"
Had to go by that area to go my bank anyhow

I am sure glad I did not make a special trip to those areas.

Is the program that came with last year's Scanner book from Radio
Schack good for this scanner?

Old September 21st 05, 02:20 AM
Alex Clayton

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I "tried" a 97 a while back. The store by me has always been "trying" to say
the least. Every time I go in there it's all new help, which says a lot. I
have a 95, works great. Decided I wanted another one in case something
happened to the 95. Bought it, brought it home, programmed it, just as the
manual says, it's almost the same as the 95. The police here are on a Mot.
Trunked system. The scanner picked up the frequencies, but it would not
"trunk", kept stopping on the control channel. I finally went up to the
store with it, none of the people there had a clue. I gave up, ordered a
246T. Then a month or so ago I wanted another one of the RS 800 MHz
antennas. I have one, it does work better here, so I put the one I had on
the 95 on the 246-T. Stopped in on my way to work to pick one up. Their web
site said they had them in stock. Again, all new employee's. Antenna's were
not where they used to be. Girl asked me what I was looking for, she had no
idea what I was talking about. She looked it up on line, then said "oh yes
we have 3 of them." Of course had no idea where they went, other 2 robots
gave her a blank stare when she asked them, she pulled out her cell phone
and called someone to ask, after listening to her try to explain to whoever
she was talking to about what she was looking for, I finally gave up. Told
her never mind, I have to go to work. I will just order one on line, which I
did. I never have trouble ordering stuff from them on line, but I can't
remember ever having a pleasant experience when I go into one of the stores.
Either can't find what I need, or can find it, then can't get a clerk to
ring it up. I often wonder how they stay in business.
As to the 97 if you want to listen to any Motorola 800 Trunked Systems you
should read up on the Re banding of the 800 frequencies. From what I have
"heard" the 97 will no longer be able to pick them up. Don't know if it's
true, but when I started reading it, I was glad I bought the Uniden.

Old September 22nd 05, 09:01 PM
Alex Clayton

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
On 20 Sep 2005 16:11:19 -0700,
said in
alt.radio.scanner:

Queens Elmhurst Jackson Heights
Rosevelt Avenue and 82 St

Manahattan
Herald Mall,
Herald Square

Manhattan
Grenenich Village
779 Broadway near 10 Street

Hop on the Long Island RailRoad. Go to Port Jefferson. Take a cab to
the Rocky Point RS store. (Call first, and make sure that Melissa is
there - she's the one who knows what she's doing. Paul, the manager,
does too.)

Hey, at least ONE store in the NY Metro area can program scanners.

They do seem to be few and far between these days, don't they?

When I went into the close by one that used to have someone who had a
clue, they told me he had gotten a better job, and "nobody else knows
much about scanners". No kidding. I was looking to get a PRO 95 for a
friend and when I called, they said they had two.

Well, while I waited while he looked for one, I played with a PRO 96,
and a couple of others, none of them programmed with much of anything at
all. I had to ask the guy when he finally came out with one, "Why don't
you have the displays loaded up with freqs so people can hear something
when they look at them?"

"Well, it's pretty complicated!"

You know what that kid is going to be??

A lawyer...scary.

BDK

Hell he'll be the store manager soon. G

Old September 22nd 05, 11:18 PM
Al Klein

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:16:21 -0400, BDK
said in alt.radio.scanner:

Well, while I waited while he looked for one, I played with a PRO 96,
and a couple of others, none of them programmed with much of anything at
all. I had to ask the guy when he finally came out with one, "Why don't
you have the displays loaded up with freqs so people can hear something
when they look at them?"

Considering that you're talking about NYC, it's not like there aren't
very many things he could program into it. (Can a Pro-96 really hold
all the frequencies NYC uses? Just programming the entire PD by hand
would take a day or so.)

"Well, it's pretty complicated!"

You know what that kid is going to be??

A lawyer...scary.

Nah - lawyers and politicians don't have to know anything - for proof
just look at most lawyers and/or politicians.