Old October 18th 05, 03:05 AM
J.A. Rodgers

Default What is the best mobile scanner for CB use?

I pulled my old Cobra 148 GT out of the trunk this afternoon thinking
I would hook it up and see if it still worked. I bought this thing
back in 1987 in a pawn shop in Everett, Washington. It worked fine for
years, but I haven't used it in a long long time.

I suspect the technology today is much much better now than it was
then.

Since I haven't a clue as to what the top shelf car scanner would be,
I'm asking for some recommendations.

Thank you.

I Am A Man...and nothing human is alien to me.

The Earth is One Great Country, and humankind it's citizens.

Join the worlds greatest no-spin discussion forum for only $100,000 a year USD

Old October 18th 05, 05:13 AM
John Kasupski

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:05:09 -0500, J.A. Rodgers
wrote:

I pulled my old Cobra 148 GT out of the trunk this afternoon thinking
I would hook it up and see if it still worked. I bought this thing
back in 1987 in a pawn shop in Everett, Washington. It worked fine for
years, but I haven't used it in a long long time.

I suspect the technology today is much much better now than it was
then.

Since I haven't a clue as to what the top shelf car scanner would be,
I'm asking for some recommendations.

Thank you.

Just a quick warning before you go installing a scanner in your car,
you might want to find out what the law is where you live. In may
places, putting a scanner in a motor vehicle is illegal.

If all you're interested in scanning is the CB band, you can get a
mobile CB rig that will scan all 40 channels without running afoul of
scanner laws. The Cobra 75 WX ST and Cobra 18 WX ST II are two mobile
CBs that I know of that have channel scan.

If you can legally have a scanner in your car or wish to do it
illegally (although certainly I don't recommend the latter!), the list
of possibilities is a lot longer. For whatever it's worth, the Uniden
BCT8 that I have covers the 40 CB channels, and much more.

John Kasupski, Tonawanda, New York
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), SWL/Scanner Monitoring (KNY2VS)
zIRC #monitor Admin

Old October 18th 05, 09:06 PM
Ken

I suspect the technology today is much much better now than it was
then.

I think alot of the new stuff is junk, the older radios were made much
better.
Technology has improved, but quality sucks.

Since I haven't a clue as to what the top shelf car scanner would be,
I'm asking for some recommendations.

The uniden BCT8 is a good one. I have the older BCT7 in my truck &
really enjoy it. I use my RS Pro95 for trunking.

Just a quick warning before you go installing a scanner in your car,
you might want to find out what the law is where you live. In may
places, putting a scanner in a motor vehicle is illegal.
John Kasupski, Tonawanda, New York
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), SWL/Scanner Monitoring (KNY2VS)
zIRC #monitor Admin

This is true

Old October 18th 05, 11:24 PM
Jim Hackett

I'll chime in and agree. I have a BCT-8 in my -Z- and it works great for
everything it receives...

Old October 19th 05, 03:54 AM
John Kasupski

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:06:35 GMT, "Ken" wrote:

I think alot of the new stuff is junk, the older radios were made much
better.
Technology has improved, but quality sucks.

Some of this is hard to get around from a technical standpoint,
though. Today's receivers cover such a wide portion of the spectrum,
there's no way they can be built with the same filtering that radios
had twenty years ago. The "tight front end" of receivers from circa
1975 would render todays receivers stone deaf across half their
receiving range. Hence the receivers today are more susceptible to
intermod, image reception, and problems like that, that the rigs 25
years ago didn't have because that stuff was filtered out, and the
radios then concentrated on a smaller slice of spectrum.

In other words, it's a trade-off. If you want your radio to receive
everything from DC to daylight, then you're going to have to put up
with some unwanted signals sometimes.

The uniden BCT8 is a good one. I have the older BCT7 in my truck &
really enjoy it. I use my RS Pro95 for trunking.

I have a PRO-94 and the BCT8 that are trunking scanners. I won't get
into the dozen or so older ones I still have and use (including one
rockbound desktop model), but my favorite is still the PRO-2045. The
only reason I bought the PRO-94 and then the BCT8 is that there are a
couple of agencies locally using trunked systems now. The BCT-8 is in
my van; I carry the PRO-94 at work.

Old October 19th 05, 04:47 AM
John Kasupski

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:24:45 GMT, "Jim Hackett"
wrote:

I'll chime in and agree. I have a BCT-8 in my -Z- and it works great for
everything it receives...

I've had mine for less than a month, so I'm still learning it, but I
haven't had any trouble getting it to follow the two trunked systems I
have programmed into it (one EDACS and one Motorola), and of course it
works fine on conventional repeater and simplex systems.

The BCT8 was bought to upgrade from a BC-750A in my van. I've
described the BCT8 to friends of mine as a BC-750A on steroids. It
uses a similar approach to the way it handles service banks and
searching, but programming the private bank is a lot easier, and the
frequency coverage and trunking on the BCT8 are superior to the 750A.

I did look at the BC-350C before buying the BCT8 but opted to add the
trunking capability - the main difference between the 750A and the
350C was in the number of user-programmable channels available, so
buying the 350C wouldn't have added all that much, but going to the
BCT8 was a major upgrade in capability and, to me anyway, worth the
extra cost.

John Kasupski, Tonawanda, New York
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), SWL/Scanner Monitoring (KNY2VS)
zIRC #monitor Admin

FIGHTING a mobile scanner charge from MN Scanner Guy Scanner 21 November 17th 04 07:38 AM
Mobile scanner laws Geek Scanner 6 June 10th 04 02:07 AM
BOLO STOLEN XTL5000 mobiles here are serials and models john private smith Swap 2 January 6th 04 05:01 AM
a page of motorola 2way 2 way portable and mobile radio history john private smith Policy 0 December 22nd 03 02:42 AM
Great mobile scanner antenna - and cheap ! J999w Scanner 1 July 24th 03 05:05 AM