Old December 4th 03, 04:59 PM
pointyhead

Default Van Gordon G5RV

Is the plastic "lump" that is used to join the ladder line to coaxial cable
really a balun or simply a "ladder line to coax adaptor" as they put it? I'd be
grateful for any insight into what it actually is. Many thanks.

Best 73 es Dx

Old December 5th 03, 02:28 PM
Jim Leder

If it's the one that looks like a small section of PVC, with about 60
feet of coax on one side and 300 ohm heavy duty twin lead on the
other, then I think it's just a protected coax to twin lead protected
junction box. The paper with mine calls it a 'transformer', but it
seems to act and measure out as a straight connection.
Old December 5th 03, 02:57 PM
gwatts

pointyhead wrote:
Is the plastic "lump" that is used to join the ladder line to coaxial cable
really a balun or simply a "ladder line to coax adaptor" as they put it?

Mine had about 20 ferrite core donuts over the end of the coax in PVC
pipe. I discovered this when I replaced the coax-xfmr section with twin
lead all the way to my tuner, which gave me a better antenna. In a
sense it's a balun, it tries to keep RF energy from conducting back up
the shield of the coax so the balanced line twin lead approximates a
balanced line.

W8LNA

Old December 5th 03, 03:21 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Leder wrote:
If it's the one that looks like a small section of PVC, with about 60
feet of coax on one side and 300 ohm heavy duty twin lead on the
other, then I think it's just a protected coax to twin lead protected
junction box. The paper with mine calls it a 'transformer', but it
seems to act and measure out as a straight connection.

The G5RV I bought years ago had 7 FB775621 toroids inside the PVC
acting as a 1:1 choke-balun. That was a good design.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 6th 03, 02:19 PM
Jim Leder

It's possible that this one has the toroids in it, I've never taken it
apart. Don't remember who made it.

Old December 6th 03, 04:04 PM
Bob Miller

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:59:45 +0000, pointyhead
wrote:

Is the plastic "lump" that is used to join the ladder line to coaxial cable
really a balun or simply a "ladder line to coax adaptor" as they put it? I'd be
grateful for any insight into what it actually is. Many thanks.

Best 73 es Dx

The AES catalog calls it a "transformer/coupler".

Bob
k5qwg

G5RV on 160m. Where goes the signal ? Thierry Antenna 17 October 30th 03 03:50 PM
Tuning Twinlead Fed G5RV Brock Antenna 7 October 20th 03 11:23 PM
G5RV Tom Antenna 2 September 7th 03 06:11 PM
G5RV 450 ohm or 300 ohm Phasing line Andy Antenna 2 August 15th 03 02:10 AM
Layout for G5RV twin feedline? Harry George Antenna 1 August 11th 03 11:04 PM