PDA

View Full Version : NEW Sony AN-12 Active Antenna

SeeingEyeDogg
March 14th 06, 12:59 AM
Sony AN-12 LW/MW/SW wide range antenna

Link
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/acc/index.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12

Photo
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/image_pop.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12&PCT=2
0158

[Crude translation]

LW/MW/SW wide range antenna AN-12
15,750 Yen in desired retail price
(15,000 Yen in tax removal price)

- The FET Rf.??? adoption active antenna which is superior in disturbance
quality
- Covering 3 zones of the short wave, medium frequency and long wave
- You install even in the veranda and the like of the apartment, possible
small size and the lightweight separate design. Splashproof construction
- Effective antenna coupler attachment to also the radio and the radio
cassette which do not have the antenna terminal

Power source: DC9V (optional single 3 type dry cell battery 6/external
power source jack rating DC9V)
Frequency range: 0.15-30MHz (LW/MW/SW), 1.6-30MHz (SW)
Output impedance: 50-75 Ohm
Coaxial cable: 12m

< Antenna controller section >
Size: Width 80 height 31 depth 140mm
Mass: 340g (the dry cell battery it includes)

< Antenna module and antenna holder section >
Size: Width 89 height 660 depth 135mm (when the antenna is folded)
Mass: Approximately 1kg (the coaxial cable it includes)

Accessory: Connecting cord (mini- plug <- -> coupler)
Antenna coupler ANC-2
Connecting cord RK-69A (mini- plug <- -> mini- plug)

"Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre
quod credis."
Brought to you by http://www.frontpagemag.com and
http://china-e-lobby.blogspot.com

Brenda Ann
March 14th 06, 01:57 AM
"SeeingEyeDogg" > wrote in message
> Sony AN-12 LW/MW/SW wide range antenna

> Link
> http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/acc/index.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12
>
> Photo
> http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/image_pop.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12&PCT=2
> 0158
>
> [Crude translation]
>
> LW/MW/SW wide range antenna AN-12
> 15,750 Yen in desired retail price
> (15,000 Yen in tax removal price)
>
> - The FET Rf.??? adoption active antenna which is superior in disturbance
> quality
> - Covering 3 zones of the short wave, medium frequency and long wave
> - You install even in the veranda and the like of the apartment, possible
> small size and the lightweight separate design. Splashproof construction
> - Effective antenna coupler attachment to also the radio and the radio
> cassette which do not have the antenna terminal
>
> Power source: DC9V (optional single 3 type dry cell battery 6/external
> power source jack rating DC9V)
> Frequency range: 0.15-30MHz (LW/MW/SW), 1.6-30MHz (SW)
> Output impedance: 50-75 Ohm
> Coaxial cable: 12m
>
> < Antenna controller section >
> Size: Width 80 height 31 depth 140mm
> Mass: 340g (the dry cell battery it includes)
>
> < Antenna module and antenna holder section >
> Size: Width 89 height 660 depth 135mm (when the antenna is folded)
> Mass: Approximately 1kg (the coaxial cable it includes)
>
> Accessory: Connecting cord (mini- plug <- -> coupler)
> Antenna coupler ANC-2
> Connecting cord RK-69A (mini- plug <- -> mini- plug)

If it's up to Sony's old standard of quality for such things, I suppose $150
isn't too bad a price.

junius
March 14th 06, 08:28 PM
Looks just like the now-discontinued AN-1, doesn't it?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2206.html

SeeingEyeDogg wrote:
> Sony AN-12 LW/MW/SW wide range antenna

> Link
> http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/acc/index.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12
>
> Photo
> http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/image_pop.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12&PCT=2
> 0158
>
> [Crude translation]
>
> LW/MW/SW wide range antenna AN-12
> 15,750 Yen in desired retail price
> (15,000 Yen in tax removal price)
>
> - The FET Rf.??? adoption active antenna which is superior in disturbance
> quality
> - Covering 3 zones of the short wave, medium frequency and long wave
> - You install even in the veranda and the like of the apartment, possible
> small size and the lightweight separate design. Splashproof construction
> - Effective antenna coupler attachment to also the radio and the radio
> cassette which do not have the antenna terminal
>
> Power source: DC9V (optional single 3 type dry cell battery 6/external
> power source jack rating DC9V)
> Frequency range: 0.15-30MHz (LW/MW/SW), 1.6-30MHz (SW)
> Output impedance: 50-75 Ohm
> Coaxial cable: 12m
>
> < Antenna controller section >
> Size: Width 80 height 31 depth 140mm
> Mass: 340g (the dry cell battery it includes)
>
> < Antenna module and antenna holder section >
> Size: Width 89 height 660 depth 135mm (when the antenna is folded)
> Mass: Approximately 1kg (the coaxial cable it includes)
>
> Accessory: Connecting cord (mini- plug <- -> coupler)
> Antenna coupler ANC-2
> Connecting cord RK-69A (mini- plug <- -> mini- plug)
>

> --
> __________________________________________________ _____________________
> "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre
> quod credis."
> Brought to you by http://www.frontpagemag.com and
> http://china-e-lobby.blogspot.com

Telamon
March 14th 06, 08:48 PM
In article . com>,
"junius" > wrote:

> SeeingEyeDogg wrote:
> > Sony AN-12 LW/MW/SW wide range antenna

> > Link
> > http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/acc/index.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-
> > 12
> >
> > Photo http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/image
> > pop.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12&PCT=2 0158
> >
> > [Crude translation]
> >
> > LW/MW/SW wide range antenna AN-12 15,750 Yen in desired retail
> > price (15,000 Yen in tax removal price)
> >
> > - The FET Rf.??? adoption active antenna which is superior in
> > disturbance quality - Covering 3 zones of the short wave, medium
> > frequency and long wave - You install even in the veranda and the
> > like of the apartment, possible small size and the lightweight
> > separate design. Splashproof construction - Effective antenna
> > coupler attachment to also the radio and the radio cassette which
> > do not have the antenna terminal
> >
> > Power source: DC9V (optional single 3 type dry cell battery
> > 6/external power source jack rating DC9V) Frequency range:
> > 0.15-30MHz (LW/MW/SW), 1.6-30MHz (SW) Output impedance: 50-75 Ohm
> > Coaxial cable: 12m
> >
> > < Antenna controller section > Size: Width 80 height 31 depth
> > 140mm Mass: 340g (the dry cell battery it includes)
> >
> > < Antenna module and antenna holder section > Size: Width 89
> > height 660 depth 135mm (when the antenna is folded) Mass:
> > Approximately 1kg (the coaxial cable it includes)
> >
> > Accessory: Connecting cord (mini- plug <- -> coupler) Antenna
> > coupler ANC-2 Connecting cord RK-69A (mini- plug <- -> mini- plug)
> >
> Looks just like the now-discontinued AN-1, doesn't it?

I fixed both the links.

<http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2206.html>

<http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/image_pop.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12&P
CT=20158>

Yes they do look similar.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon
March 14th 06, 10:03 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> It wont do anything more than eleven inches of plain old wire will do.
> cuhulin

Do yourself a big favor and stick to the off topic flame threads.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

junius
March 15th 06, 12:32 AM
I have an AN-1 antenna. I see no difference appearance-wise between
the AN-1 and the AN-12 pictured on the Sony website. The picture on
the Sony website shows the mounting apparatus in assembled form,
whereas the Universal website shows all of the various components in
pre-assembled form.

While I've never bothered measuring the AN-1 in millimeters, the specs
seem to be the same as the AN-12: frequency coverage (including the
two frequency range settings), the same "ANC-2"-designated coupler,
same power requirements (including the provision for 6xAA powering).

I guess the question is, did Sony take the old AN-1 and modify it in
some way and produce some new model? If so, might we see it in the
States? I had thought Sony was pulling out of the shortwave market.

junius

Brenda Ann
March 15th 06, 12:57 AM
"junius" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have an AN-1 antenna. I see no difference appearance-wise between
> the AN-1 and the AN-12 pictured on the Sony website. The picture on
> the Sony website shows the mounting apparatus in assembled form,
> whereas the Universal website shows all of the various components in
> pre-assembled form.
>
> While I've never bothered measuring the AN-1 in millimeters, the specs
> seem to be the same as the AN-12: frequency coverage (including the
> two frequency range settings), the same "ANC-2"-designated coupler,
> same power requirements (including the provision for 6xAA powering).
>
> I guess the question is, did Sony take the old AN-1 and modify it in
> some way and produce some new model? If so, might we see it in the
> States? I had thought Sony was pulling out of the shortwave market.
>
> junius

Wasn't the AN-1 for HF frequencies only?

junius
March 15th 06, 01:17 AM
Well, I'd say so, since I never found the AN-1 a particularly stellar
performer on LW or MW. Nonetheless, there is a switch on the front of
the control box for two frequency ranges:

0.15-30MHz (LW/MW/SW) and 1.6-30MHz (SW)

But, to be fair, the AN-1, while providing somewhat modest gain on the
SW bands, was a decent match for portables (where overload would be a
concern); the ability to mount it out of doors gave it an advantage not
to be found with the now-popular indoor active loop antennas (AN-LP1
and that Kaito/Degen one) designed for portables.

junius

Brenda Ann wrote:

> Wasn't the AN-1 for HF frequencies only?

RHF
March 18th 06, 11:07 AM
BAD,

"The Sony AN-1 Active Antenna provides good reception
over the range .15 to 30 MHz."
<http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2206.html>

The Sony AN-1 Active Antenna Coverage would be 150 kHz to 30 MHz
+ Longwave Frequencies = 150 to 500 kHz
+ Medium Wave {AM BCB} = 500 to 1700 kHz
+ Shortwave Bands {HF} = 1.8 to 30 MHz

IMHO - The Sony AN-12 Active Antenna would appear to be
a re-make {up-grade ?} of the Sony AN-1 Active Antenna.
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/acc/index.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

[email protected]
March 18th 06, 07:29 PM
Plain old ordinary wire is your best bet.Unless you have the funds and
room to put us some serious outside radio antennas.
cuhulin

[email protected]
March 18th 06, 07:37 PM
Where is Les Locklear to straighten this up for us?
cuhulin

Google