PDA

View Full Version : What's the most reliable portable short wave radio?


Apostle Keith Brown
April 15th 06, 03:15 PM
What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

Sanjaya
April 15th 06, 03:21 PM
"Apostle Keith Brown" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?
>
>

You can't go wrong with the Sony 7600GR.
Just get a good A/C adaptor to go with it. The Sony adapter
sucks IMO (and if I recall, in others' opinions as well)

John S.
April 15th 06, 03:36 PM
Apostle Keith Brown wrote:
> What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

I think you will find that the shortwave radios available for sale
today are as a group quite reliable. It would be very difficult for me
to say that one is distinctly more reliable than all the others.

I recommend that you focus on features and performance instead since
those criteria will have a much bigger impact on how you enjoy the
radio.

[email protected]
April 15th 06, 03:39 PM
Small portable and best balue for the money,,,, Sony 7600GR.
cuhulin

Joe Analssandrini
April 15th 06, 07:26 PM
Dear Mr. Brown,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
whenever I go on trips/vacations.

You do not need an AC adapter at all. The radio is extremely easy on
batteries. I recommend buying two sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries
(each cell having at least 2000 mAh) and a suitable charger, preferably
one with a DC adapter that can be used in a car. You'll never run out
of power and I think you'll be extremely pleased with this radio.

The only other option I would recommend, if you can find one, is the
now sadly-discontinued (in the US) Sony AN-LP1 antenna which is a
perfect match for this radio. Like the radio, the antenna is very well
made and travels easily.

There are probably other brands which are also well-made, but, owning
seven of these (as well as two Sony ICF-SW35s) I can confidently state
that Sony shortwave radios are made to a high standard.

Best,

Joe

P.S. Avoid Sangean models. I have been disappointed with the
construction quality of three of them.

Telamon
April 15th 06, 07:35 PM
In article et>,
"Apostle Keith Brown" > wrote:

> What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

Any radio from Sony, Grundig/Eton, Sangean.
Stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff.
Here is a feature comparison chart on portables.
<http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/chartp.html>

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David
April 15th 06, 07:39 PM
On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
> wrote:

>Dear Mr. Brown,
>
>The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
>small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
>(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
>ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
>perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
>whenever I go on trips/vacations.
>
I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.

Telamon
April 15th 06, 07:53 PM
In article . com>,
"Joe Analssandrini" > wrote:

> Dear Mr. Brown,
>
> The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
> small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
> (the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
> ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
> perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
> whenever I go on trips/vacations.
>
> You do not need an AC adapter at all. The radio is extremely easy on
> batteries. I recommend buying two sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries
> (each cell having at least 2000 mAh) and a suitable charger, preferably
> one with a DC adapter that can be used in a car. You'll never run out
> of power and I think you'll be extremely pleased with this radio.
>
> The only other option I would recommend, if you can find one, is the
> now sadly-discontinued (in the US) Sony AN-LP1 antenna which is a
> perfect match for this radio. Like the radio, the antenna is very well
> made and travels easily.
>
> There are probably other brands which are also well-made, but, owning
> seven of these (as well as two Sony ICF-SW35s) I can confidently state
> that Sony shortwave radios are made to a high standard.
>
> Best,
>
> Joe
>
> P.S. Avoid Sangean models. I have been disappointed with the
> construction quality of three of them.

OK, I might as well join the crowd and also recommend the Sony 7600 as I
have owned one for years and I am very happy with the performance. I
have had no problems with the radio.

I own a Sangean with the Radio Shack branded DX-380 that is still
working fine. Construction quality is on par for a cheap portable. This
radio performs well and I have not had any trouble with it either. Maybe
the quality had gone down hill the last few years but I would not know
about that situation.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

SeeingEyeDogg
April 15th 06, 08:23 PM
"David" > wrote in message
...
> On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
> > wrote:
>
> >Dear Mr. Brown,
> >
> >The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
> >small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
> >(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
> >ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
> >perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
> >whenever I go on trips/vacations.
> >
> I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
> QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.

Wrong. Your so called perception of loudness in either sideband is the
nature of listening in USB Vs. LSB. That so called difference can be
perceived on any SSB capable radio. Your simply trying to make an issue
against a manufacturer for which there is absolutely no basis. Which is
typical of our resident propagandist, Dr.DaviD.

[email protected]
April 15th 06, 08:35 PM
The only other option (bear in mind,if I can find me a rich old widow
woman) for me is a Watkins Johnson Radio.
cuhulin

[email protected]
April 15th 06, 08:39 PM
G? Dont tell that married Irish woman wayyyyy over yonder across the big
pond about G.I once made the mistake of,,,,,,,
Wow!!! she burnt me ears out!
cuhulin

[email protected]
April 15th 06, 08:44 PM
Say it isn't so,Telemon.You will recomend the Sony 7600GR Radios.Tell
all them purty gals over yonder roller skatin around on Ventura
Beach,old Hansom Larry (that's me) luvs them.
cuhulin ,,,Larry

David
April 15th 06, 08:59 PM
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:23:43 -0500, "SeeingEyeDogg" >
wrote:

>
>"David" > wrote in message
...
>> On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Dear Mr. Brown,
>> >
>> >The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
>> >small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
>> >(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
>> >ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
>> >perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
>> >whenever I go on trips/vacations.
>> >
>> I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
>> QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.
>
>Wrong. Your so called perception of loudness in either sideband is the
>nature of listening in USB Vs. LSB. That so called difference can be
>perceived on any SSB capable radio. Your simply trying to make an issue
>against a manufacturer for which there is absolutely no basis. Which is
>typical of our resident propagandist, Dr.DaviD.
Whatever Sigmund. I think you're projecting.

mikem
April 15th 06, 09:07 PM
Hi,
If you can find a good used one the Sony 2010 is great. Sadly now it
is discontinued.
Mike
David wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:23:43 -0500, "SeeingEyeDogg" >
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"David" > wrote in message
> ...
> >> On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
> >> > wrote:
> >>
> >> >Dear Mr. Brown,
> >> >
> >> >The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
> >> >small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
> >> >(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
> >> >ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
> >> >perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
> >> >whenever I go on trips/vacations.
> >> >
> >> I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
> >> QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.
> >
> >Wrong. Your so called perception of loudness in either sideband is the
> >nature of listening in USB Vs. LSB. That so called difference can be
> >perceived on any SSB capable radio. Your simply trying to make an issue
> >against a manufacturer for which there is absolutely no basis. Which is
> >typical of our resident propagandist, Dr.DaviD.
> Whatever Sigmund. I think you're projecting.

running dogg
April 16th 06, 01:33 AM
David wrote:

> On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
> > wrote:
>
> >Dear Mr. Brown,
> >
> >The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
> >small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
> >(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
> >ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
> >perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
> >whenever I go on trips/vacations.
> >
> I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
> QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.
>

The only problem I've had with sideband on Sonys (I had a 2010 for a
couple years) is that they're not tunable. You press a button and hope
that the transmission will be tuned correctly for the radio, if not
you're SOL. As I was using my 2010 to chase pirates, and most US pirates
broadcast in SSB (because they use ham equipment) this was quite
frustrating. I finally traded it to somebody in Maine in exchange for my
Yaesu FRG-8800. (This was before Ebay.) Even the Degen 1102 has tunable
SSB. The Realistic DX-440 (Sangean 803A) had tunable SSB. If you're
trying to listen to SSB transmissions (such as US pirates or hams) the
lack of tunable SSB on Sonys will drive you nuts. OTOH, they're
excellent for listening to regular broadcasts. Sadly, they're all
discontinued now from what I know. Search Ebay, or settle for something
Chinese, probably the Degen 1102 or 1103.

m II
April 16th 06, 05:30 AM
SeeingEyeDogg wrote:

> Sony made AC adapters ARE available that work very well with ALL their
> shortwave radios. I know because I have Sony AC adapters for the 7600GR,
> SW100, SW-07 & SW-55. They all work exceptional well and are very quite.
> Except that their price is prohibitive for most people in this newsgroup.


Care to expand on that? How is it possible for the fine denizens of this
group to buy expensive radios (1) and yet not be able to finance an
adapter?


mike

(1) cuhulin excepted. If it's not three dollars he doesn't want it.

Joe Analssandrini
April 16th 06, 05:43 PM
Dear Mike,

To comment:

The original AC adapter Sony made for the ICF-SW7600GR was a very good
one. However, that model was discontinued a couple of years ago and has
been replaced with one with a similar name but dreadful performance
with the radio.

Most AC adapters for the '7600 are priced in the $15.00 - $20.00 range.
This is very high for what you get. The price for eight rechargeable
NiMH batteries and a charger is not much, if any, more and you get
portability which is just as good AND FAR QUIETER operation. As the
'7600GR, off its whip, is not the most sensitive of receivers, this
quiet operation is very important. Even when used with an AN-LP1, which
affords excellent "hearing of signals," battery operation is, in my
opinion, far better than use with an AC adapter.

Note that I'm not "knocking" the receiver - it is designed with a
better-than-the-portable-average dynamic range so it can handle a fair
external shortwave antenna without overloading. (Its MW sensitivity is
superb with just the internal ferrite antenna.) Its SW sensitivity off
the whip is adequate for the more powerful stations and the radio is
sensitive enough that you can in fact do some DXing with it just with
the whip. However the ability to handle an external antenna without
overloading is much more important, in my opinion, than "raw"
sensitivity off a whip.

Best,

Joe

P.S. Universal's AC adapter for the '7600GR is not only dreadful, but
also overpriced. I understand you can buy the same adapter from another
source for 1/3 Universal's price but even then - why would you want to?
I have one and if you like music and want to hear your radio "hum,"
that's your adapter! ;-)

David
April 16th 06, 06:13 PM
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:15:27 GMT, "Apostle Keith Brown"
> wrote:

> What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?
>
>
My $50 Panasonic RF-B45 is built like a tank.

[email protected]
April 16th 06, 06:15 PM
Any radio that works.
cuhulin

[email protected]
April 16th 06, 06:26 PM
NiMH batteries.Screw! those kinds of batteies! LQQK,about seven years
ago,I owned an Ericcson cell phone.Either it came with a NiMH battery,or
later on I went and bought a new NiMH battery for that Stupid piece of
junk cell phone.A couple of years later,that NiMH battery went stone
cold dead!,,, wouldn't take a charge at all,I am telling y'all.y'all can
have all the NiMH batteries y'all want.I dont want anymore of that over
priced and over rated Crap!
cuhulin

Mike Terry
April 16th 06, 06:34 PM
> wrote in message
...
> Any radio that works.
> cuhulin
>

Sony are usually reliable.

[email protected]
April 16th 06, 06:43 PM
Ray O Vac is the Best.Just take it from me.I have been useing Ray O Vac
Batteries since the 1940's. www.rayovac.com
I dont mess with that other sissy greasy kidstuff.
cuhulin

SeeingEyeDogg
April 16th 06, 08:17 PM
"m II" > wrote in message news:ZLj0g.31538$4S.402@edtnps82...
> SeeingEyeDogg wrote:
>
> > Sony made AC adapters ARE available that work very well with ALL their
> > shortwave radios. I know because I have Sony AC adapters for the 7600GR,
> > SW100, SW-07 & SW-55. They all work exceptional well and are very quite.
> > Except that their price is prohibitive for most people in this
newsgroup.
>
>
> Care to expand on that? How is it possible for the fine denizens of this
> group to buy expensive radios (1) and yet not be able to finance an
> adapter?
>

http://www.partsolver.com/
https://www.partstore.com

Sony Part# 147612111 $94
ADAPTOR, AC (AC-E600)
Input AC 110-120V or 220-240V ~50/60Hz 7 Watts
Output DC6V ~ 300mA
Requires "World Traveler" type AC "Conversion adapter" available at Radio
Shack or Sony part# 156900821 "Conversion adaptor". Ref:
http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Sony's U.S. version 6V AC Adapter (110-120V input only) for a 7600GR is
"AC-E604". But that model is difficult if not impossible to find. The
"World Traveler" version is above is still available and can be used with
any Sony shortwave radio requiring 6V (Ex: SW-55).

SeeingEyeDogg
April 16th 06, 08:20 PM
"running dogg" >
> The only problem I've had with sideband on Sonys (I had a 2010 for a
> couple years) is that they're not tunable. You press a button and hope
> that the transmission will be tuned correctly for the radio, if not
> you're SOL.

There should be an adjustment "pot." on the circuit board to Zero Beat SSB.

Bob Miller
April 16th 06, 08:33 PM
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:33:16 -0700, running dogg > wrote:

>David wrote:
>
>> On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Dear Mr. Brown,
>> >
>> >The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
>> >small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
>> >(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
>> >ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
>> >perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
>> >whenever I go on trips/vacations.
>> >
>> I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
>> QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.
>>
>
>The only problem I've had with sideband on Sonys (I had a 2010 for a
>couple years) is that they're not tunable. You press a button and hope
>that the transmission will be tuned correctly for the radio, if not
>you're SOL.

??? ??? I recently picked up a used 2010, and it tunes SSB (on the ham
bands, certainly) just fine. I go to a frequency, punch in USB or LSB,
and the signal is there -- adjust the manual tuning up or down if
necessary, but it's there.

bob
k5qwg

>As I was using my 2010 to chase pirates, and most US pirates
>broadcast in SSB (because they use ham equipment) this was quite
>frustrating. I finally traded it to somebody in Maine in exchange for my
>Yaesu FRG-8800. (This was before Ebay.) Even the Degen 1102 has tunable
>SSB. The Realistic DX-440 (Sangean 803A) had tunable SSB. If you're
>trying to listen to SSB transmissions (such as US pirates or hams) the
>lack of tunable SSB on Sonys will drive you nuts. OTOH, they're
>excellent for listening to regular broadcasts. Sadly, they're all
>discontinued now from what I know. Search Ebay, or settle for something
>Chinese, probably the Degen 1102 or 1103.

m II
April 17th 06, 04:28 AM
Apostle Keith Brown wrote:

> What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?
>
>

My FRG-7. With a load of eight 'D' cells it also keeps me from getting
removed by a tornado while I'm out 'toting' it.




mike

Slow code
April 17th 06, 11:26 PM
David > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:15:27 GMT, "Apostle Keith Brown"
> wrote:
>
>> What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?
>>
>>
> My $50 Panasonic RF-B45 is built like a tank.




My most favorite was my Panasonic RF-2200.

It's been dying a slow death for many years thought.

RM MS
April 18th 06, 03:17 AM
I have owned the Sangean ATS 803A (rebranded as the RadioShack DX-440)
since 1989 and it has played all night, every night, for at least 10
hours, for the last 17 years. I also take it virtually everywhere I go:
in my small boat, on car trips, on the porch every weekend, on planes,
in both carry-on and checked luggage, duffel bags, car trunks, etc., and
have never had a single problem with it in all this time. I often use
simple wire antennas for portable use, and it sets within a home-built
triangular MW tunable loop antenna, and both of these atop a 69
turntable from the grocery store at my bedside table. The antenna input
transistors have never fried even with the hundreds of T-storms and
other static events it has withstood. It has also been used as a FM
tuner on an amplifier and had a good-sized Yagi array for FM, all to no
bad effect. I have several other radios to compare it to: Lowe HF-225,
Yaesu FRG-8800 and FRG-100, and also owned a Kenwood R-5000 for a couple
years, and various other decent VHF and UHF receivers and FM equipment,
so this is an informed opinion. I am not saying the DX-440 is as fine a
reciever in all ways, but it compares favorably in the portable category
for which it was intended, and using only a reasonable measure of care,
its record of reliability and durability speaks for itself. I would not
hesitate for one single second to buy another Sangean product.

Tom Holden
April 18th 06, 04:17 AM
"reliable short wave radio" - isn't that an oxymoron?

John S.
April 18th 06, 01:41 PM
Tom Holden wrote:
> "reliable short wave radio" - isn't that an oxymoron?

What is the definition of reliable.

Tom Randy
April 18th 06, 10:45 PM
On 2006-04-16 13:13:01 -0400, David > said:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:15:27 GMT, "Apostle Keith Brown"
> > wrote:
>
>> What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?
>>
>>
> My $50 Panasonic RF-B45 is built like a tank.


So is my RF-B65! Still going strong! LOVE that little radio!

clifto
April 18th 06, 10:54 PM
Johnny Borborigmi wrote:
> On 2006-04-16 13:43:09 -0400, said:
>> Ray O Vac is the Best.Just take it from me.I have been useing Ray O Vac
>> Batteries since the 1940's. www.rayovac.com
>
> Ray O Vac's suck to high heaven. Get MAHA NiMhs and a good charger.
> Thomas Distributing sells them.

I had no problems with my Ray-O-Vac rechargeables as long as I was
using them regularly. I set aside a set of four for a while, and
they went dead as doornails. Evvereadys don't seem too bad so far.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Therefore, no rude people are relevant.
-- Solomon W. Golomb

junius
April 19th 06, 05:18 AM
John S. wrote:
> Apostle Keith Brown wrote:
> > What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?
>
> I think you will find that the shortwave radios available for sale
> today are as a group quite reliable. It would be very difficult for me
> to say that one is distinctly more reliable than all the others.
>
> I recommend that you focus on features and performance instead since
> those criteria will have a much bigger impact on how you enjoy the
> radio.

I would largely agree with this assessment, if we're looking beyond the
lower grade cheapies (Bell + Howell sorta thing). Forget
reliability...ultimately, even the best of 'em break down.

Besides, Apostle Keith would do well not to rely on anything that is of
man...

"Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's
primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his
brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great
numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for
he is the harbinger of death."

[email protected]
April 19th 06, 07:06 AM
A piece of crystal,an empty cardboard oatmeal box,a rusty razor
blade,some wire,a piece of wood board,a few tacks,a few paper clips,a
piece of graphite from a lead pencil,an old set of earphones.Presto,the
most reliable radio in the world.
cuhulin

[email protected]
April 19th 06, 10:00 PM
What do you mean by that regarding your RF-2200? They seem to be very
well built.

Google